1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

I don't know if it is because I am just so used to this tight fitting Zegna but the Formosa felt way too big as I was switching back and forth between this Zegna suit and the Formosa suit. I've lost some weight (5 lbs) thx to the inlaws and I was able to get into this one. I keep hearing complaints about how big the Formosa is. What you guys think? Am I noticing this because I am so used to ill fitting suits?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014

2. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Noodles, you are out of your damn Korean mind if you think that Formosa is too big on you! Look, you remember me in the 50, this is a size up 52:

[​IMG]

That Formosa fits you extremely well and it hasn't even been to the tailor yet. It will take time to get used to the new fit.

3. TM79

TM79 Distinguished Member

I think the Formosa looks really good, man. It doesn't even need any intense alterations.

The Zegna looks too small on you so I think you just need to re-train your brain etc. etc. and not keep the idea that the Zegna is an optimal fit and better fits are too big.

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

yeah i dont know what you are smoking, but pass the bowl please.

5. Claghorn

Claghorn Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

There are so few people with well fitting suits in Korea, I'd be surprised if a lot of Koreans can recognize one were they to encounter one. Either shapeless bags or way too tight worsted body condoms. Plus everyone walks around with jackets unbuttoned here. I've actually had a salesperson at a department store here try to sell me on a jacket that didn't fit by arguing that it was meant to be worn unbuttoned. The sad thing is, it probably was.

That room that you feel when you wear the formosa as opposed to the zegnas? That room? That room is a well fitting jacket. Remember it. Buy nothing that lacks it. The jackets that really fit me well, they feel like they float on my shoulders.

Another way to think of it:

Does it feel like you're wearing a jacket?
    Yes?
    Then your jacket doesn't fit.

6. Cleav

Cleav Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored Moderator

All of this. Doodals, can you come into the office?

7. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

[​IMG]
    I obviously trust you guys more than others outside THE MATRIX so I will take your word for it. I guess I was just so used to a tight fitting suit and my concept of how a suit should fit was WRONG. Now that I know that the Formosa fits well, I will use it as a reference as to how a suit should fit. Thanks all again. This thread saved my life!

8. jssdc

jssdc Senior Member

Noodles, two questions:

- were you switching back and forth between the two coats while wearing a t-shirt? If so then give it a whirl with a proper shirt and tie - might change your view
    - who keeps complaining about how big the Formosa is?

Murl, stitchie and clags are speaking the truth here.

9. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

noodles, king of extremes.

10. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

I does not want to throw that someone under the bus...but you guys can guess.[​IMG]
    Anyhow, no I was switching back and forth while wearing today's outfit with a full shirt and and a tie and a pair of pants.

Now, can we talk about how pants should fit?
    I got the 48 drop 7...so a size 31...and glad it does not need any tapering but I feel like I have a huge jacket while a tiny pair of pants. How did you feel Murl? Yes, pic would help but I am in my office and I don't think I should change pants...

11. EliodA

EliodA Distinguished Member

You already knew how a suit should fit after you tried Suit Supply... [​IMG]

12. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

I...forgot about that...LOL
    [​IMG]

The Formosa pants will not be as "roomy" as the jacket! Is this cool?!

I think this thread is more of an entertainment thread. I do and say so many stupid stuff. Hopefully, this thread serves as a good beginner's guide. [​IMG]

13. heldentenor

heldentenor Distinguished Member

Claghorn needs to TM the phrase "worsted body condoms" as an epithet for the extremes of current men's fashion.

14. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

If you plan on heeding to your missus' opinion, disable your account now. There is no hope for you.

As for the trousers, they should not be tight...no pocket flaring and your legs should be comfy. I did size up in my recent MTO, but I don't plan on doing that every time. I like those 48 on myself. This is all I have...a crappy shot in that suit in a ugly room that is being remodeled:
    [​IMG]

15. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

If I was being whipped by my wife at home, then I think we wouldn't be having this conversation. I told her to stay out of my "menswear."

Your fit looks good [​IMG]and everything looks proportional. I thought I'd see a big boxy jacket and a tight pants. I am a dummy.

We're approaching page 586 and I don't understand why it took me so long to get here. I am a dummy.