Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ebay is my best bet, but you risk making a substantial financial loss if you set the starting price low (and risk never selling your stuff if you set it too high). Otherwise there are always consignment shops, but they tend to take a pretty big chunk out of the profit.

2. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I've sold 4 suits, a couple of jackets, some trousers and a couple of shoes last month. The best way is attractive pricing and good advertisement. When I sold suitsupply I put my suits in the suitsupply thread, meermin in the meermin thread, etc. I'd say only 10% of my sales have come from marketplace threads, so that's not a reliable way of selling.

Also, most people on SF are bargain hunters, and won't buy anything over $350. All of my stuff priced under this has been sold, everything over this is still up for sale. Most people expect around a 70-80% discount from retail. Even if you do price your stuff at that level, be prepared to mainly get lowball offers that are 30% of that and lots of tire kickers. It's quite a frustrating process tbh. I've had guys send me a dozen questions, all very detailed, all answered by me to their liking only to never be heard from again.

eBay is usually a better way to sell, but you'll have to pay the eBay fees on top of the paypal fees. Grailed works much better than SF market place, but not as well as eBay, and there are no fees. Expect to make a deep loss either way.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014

3. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Thanks @EFV AND @Monkeyface.
    I have already accepted the fact that I will be hit with significant losses. But, I am willing to take it since my goal is to have solid suits that fit me well. I believe I am quite well in other places. This thread helped me upgrade ties, shoes, and shirts. I should be getting the shirts that @Claghorn ordered for me via my inlaws. I will take my rebuilding process (of suits) very slow. But first, I want to blow out my current suits.

Thanks to both of you (and others) for being awesome contributors in this thread as well as killing it in the waywrn thread.

4. TM79

TM79 Senior member

All closet cleaning roads point to Spoo ...

5. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

+1. With LuxeSwap, all of SF will see it, but you also get Spoo's dedicated eBay audience and his trusted verification of items' condition. Since for me at least the biggest obstacles to buying a high-ticket used item on eBay are fit measurements and clear knowledge of the condition of the item, Spoo seems like a great option for your suits, Noodles.

6. AJL

AJL Senior member

It depends on what you're selling in terms of what you can expect, and also whether new or used (obviously). If an item is currently en vogue at SF (assuming you're trying to sell here), or a staple, you will tend to do better. I have to believe Rota pants and Inglese shirts will see a good return, due to their current high profile on NMWA, and relative exclusivity. Likewise Formosa, though I've yet to see any come up for resale. Panta is pretty exclusive and has a very good rep around here, especially the trews.

Navy suits and blazers by upper level makers will always do well. In the shoe department, Ed Green will command good prices, as will the more traditional models from Lobb (they make some pretty ugly, out there stuff, commonly seen on the 'bay). The more traditional the item, the easier the sale (just look at all the crap they used to unload at the original, late lamented Filene's Basement, from "luxury" shops like Louis, Mr. Sid and Mitchell's. A few diamonds in the rough, but a lot of shite by prestige makers that made you wonder what the buyers were thinking when they stocked it--and what the makers were thinking when they produced it. No accounting for taste I guess).

Selling stuff in specifically targeted threads makes sense, as you've already got a captive audience. Frankly, this good natured thread aint such a bad venue for selling either: I was relieved of 3 ill-fitting pairs of the aforementioned Panta trews within a day or two, and at a decent price (I'd like to think both sides did well). People are here to learn, but also to kop along the way as they apply what they've learned to stock up for a new work situation, or swap out their existing stuff for more SF-approved wares.

7. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I know, thanks to this thread, a Formosa suit is changing hands at a price where both parties should be fairly pleased.

8. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Im dreaming about the fresco Formosa...

9. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

this. send to luxeswap or give to salvation army. you can also try selling here yourself, but that will lead you to hate a lot of people.

???

10. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Senior member

Huh...that's odd. So are there sticky'd threads for mainline HF/BB 1818 suits/RLBL on SF?

I'm sorry you've gotten so many low ball offers. I usually start the offer process @ 60-65% of the listed price and move up a bit from there. On ebay & here.

11. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

I've got suits, shoes, and ties to move out. I keep thinking of sending them to Spoo, but I'll probably just give them to a local charity that helps provide clothes to people trying to find work. They need them more than I need the money, which just means I'm very fortunate.

12. AJL

AJL Senior member

Yea or nay? Seems a bit slouchy and long, the sleeves are already cuffed a few inches here. Perhaps the slouch is characteristic of the Inis Meain linen, but length is always an issue for me with sweaters. Thoughts?
    Happy soggy 4th.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Keep the Inis Meáin. The slightly slouchy look is very cool, and the shoulders fit well.

14. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Kopped my long-awaited Henry Carter wool challis tie the other day in the mail. 3-fold unlined, Italian fabric. This was a small run, already sold out, very exclusive yah.

Posting it here because I don't think I quite nailed the fit (shirt and jacket don't work together), but I'd like to share the awesomeness of this tie anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will post a fit to WAYWRN once I get my shirt/jacket game sorted. This could prove a dangerous piece of kit if the rumoured soporific-tie-challenge[​IMG] goes ahead.

15. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Bad news buddy. It went ahead. Last week