Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

De facto/de jure are usually used when talking about matters of law or governance... not clothes on the internet...

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

stfu and gtfo with you emotional lovey dovey crap.

3. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

^ love this guy.

4. TM79

TM79 Senior member

De facto may be totally fine in the context it was used but still makes someone look like a massive tool. If they're fine with being a tool, then by all means ...

And since you're buying everyone jackets, put me down for a 40R.

Also, I like stirring the pot. I don't take my one liners very seriously. I encourage others to do likewise.

5. AJL

AJL Senior member

This is the kind of thing that can get you in trouble around here. What you perceive as perfect, the Noodlemasters might take issue with. "I think" trumps "I know".

Leave your assumptions aside and allow the Noodlemasters to help guide you on your journey.

6. Kira

Kira Senior member

@AJL , I see. I didn't buy the jacket though. It had a tear on the shoulder. I only compared the size of the jacket to my size. I forgot to mention that.

7. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

^ so how do you know it fitted you perfectly? Please read AJL's post again and try to get hispoint .

8. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

I thut my Zegna suits fit me perfectly until I came to SF...and before I gained 15lbs.
    XD

9. Kira

Kira Senior member

Well, I compared the my size and the jacket's size. How did I do this? I measured myself. Since I'm still getting used into proportions, my measurements are probably skewed by an inch more or less. I believe what @AJL meant was that the word perfect is a subjective word; and that the more experienced users on the forum will likely see things I won't.

10. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Kira, you cannot tell from the measurements alone whether a jacket fits you or not. You have to try it on. Believe me, I've made that mistake too in the past. Inaccuracies in measuring aside, there are so many factors in the fit of a jacket that are not evident from the measurements (e.g. front /back balance, sleeve pitch, buttoning point) that you can never tell if it fits unless you've tried it. Which is of course one of the problems when buying online...

11. Kira

Kira Senior member

@EliodA , I can't argue with that. Unfortunately, the nearest and most skilled tailors are about an hour drive from where I live. There's a Men's Warehouse store and another unknown haberdashery, but I'm avoiding those. Regarding the unknown menswear store, their shirts were made from brands I've never seen before; and it had polywool suits. Note, I only browsed for a few minutes.

I'm trying to challenge that dressing well while being frugal isn't a paradox.. But, I'm probably going to follow Manton's route and just go completely bespoke from head to toe. For the time being, I have to ignore those variables and focus on the general ones..

12. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

My dear Kira, can you please stop being so pretentious? Going bespoke from head to toe... You're in college, right?
    Besides, doing bespoke without a proper understanding of the basics regarding fit and proportion is bound to result in disappointment. Moreover, if you have reasonably normal proportions, there's no need for that anyway.
    Just post a few pics here and ask for feedback. Nobody's going to grill you for poor quality phone pics. People are here willing to help you.

13. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

yo bitchez, all my ish fits me perfect. read it and weep, children.

14. TM79

TM79 Senior member

You're all over the place. So you're going to go from a severely out of date and not nice looking DB jacket to full bespoke head to toe? A reality check is in order here.

Crawl before you walk.

15. AJL

AJL Senior member

Yes. Let go of what you think you know, or what you think you've absorbed in 3 mos. here. You've barely scratched the surface.