1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

agreed. light ties can be, or often are, or maybe usually are, tough to work. go with a light shirt and it can easily look washed out, go with a dark shirt, and well, dark shirts often look bad with a jacket and tie all by themselves. its a hard combo to make, needs to be just right.

2. Kira

Kira Senior Member

But can't a darker jacket counterbalance the light shirt/tie in an aesthetically pleasing way? The opposite could be applied as well.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Perhaps, but in any case, the light tie and the light shirt need to be just right to not look like a big white out.

4. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Distinguished Member

I usually don't buy into those pseudoscience complexion theories that you see floating around the menswear blogosphere, but I think light ties are an exception to that. They tend to look better on people with a darker complexion. I wouldn't wear a light tie if I'm not at least somewhat tanned, as it would wash me out otherwise.

5. EliodA

EliodA Distinguished Member

Interesting discussion this. I might try a light tie fit today and post pics later. My complexion should not be a problem, but I'm curious to see if it can work with a dark jacket.

6. Kira

Kira Senior Member

Interesting. The reason why I'm asking is because I have a 'contrast' dress shirt that has yellow and blue checkers... I was thinking about using a burgundy or red tie with it. I believe these three are triad colors. Someone can rebut my claim if they wish.

7. Sotiris

Sotiris Senior Member

Since you don't own any sport coats (right?), I'm going to assume you're trolling about getting odd trousers and wearing a shirt and tie without a jacket.

I mean, in many environments it's okay to go around the office like this, but you still wear a jacket to the office.

8. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Senior Member

Most predominantly red ties are ugly. Wear maroon or darker.

[​IMG]

The one on the right is OK at best.

9. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

It's a bit weird.
    I have to wear a suit when I have a meeting with a someone outside the firm or with someone outside my department. No one (none that I saw) does odd jackets and trousers. If I know that I will not have any meetings then I usually just put on a tie, shirt, and odd trousers.

I am not planning on doing odd trousers/jackets but just planning on getting some beater trousers for days when I don't feel like wearing a suit.

10. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Distinguished Member

Face of the Monkey, what fabric is that one?

11. Monkeyface

Get a medium or light grey Epaulet MTO in the walt fit with side adjusters. No need for those pesky belts, and you have skinny legs so they'll fit you perfectly. Quality is top notch.

http://epauletnewyork.com/collectio...ulet-made-to-order-trousers-lightweight-wools

http://luxire.com/products/pale-blue-cool-linen-cotton

It's a wonderful fabric. It wears very cool, but it's not nearly as wrinkly as an all linen shirt. The texture is pretty nice too, and it doesn't feel rough to the skin. I just ordered another shirt in the same fabric. OneShirtTM?

12. Kira

Kira Senior Member

+1

I think that tie works because the yellow and blue patterns aren't bright.

13. kulata

kulata Distinguished Member

I feel you are complicating matters for Noodles. Side adjusters, suspenders etc are way too high up there for most people, myself included. You know, we just need a belt to keep things simple. :(

14. Monkeyface

I love side adjusters! It saves me a lot of money that I would have to spend on belts instead, as I only have one black belt and one brown belt. It's also much more comfortable, and looks better imho. I'd say side adjusters simplify things instead of complicate them.

Suspenders are a whole different ball game, and perhaps a bit advanced for noodles.

15. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

I am already exposed to pants with no belt loops and just side tabs from RLBL suits. I like how they just flow or fall and make a clean silhouette.