Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Lol. Chillax Clags.
    You will certainly miss them nice Korean service people when you come over to the States. I can't wait to see you blow up here lol.

2. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

You forget I'm moving to Texas. People are way friendlier there than in Korea. Mrs. Claghorn was shocked out how nice everyone was when we visited my parents a couple of years ago.

And can you imagine me blowing up? Or having a meltdown?

3. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

No. I cant imagine. Meltdowns are reserved just for me. Lol. I forgot about Southern hospitality. I was surprised when I visited Atlanta. Nice folks down there.

Texas is South or not?http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States

I live in Northern Virginia and it is quite a weird feeling when people say that it is a Southern state. It is only when I drive down south for an hour do I realize that Virginia is really a Southern state. Lol

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014

4. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

1. Yes, Clags, I can imagine you losing your shit completely, yes.

2. I have not had many issues with SA. Sure they say uneducated (by SF standards) stuff, but its not like its a degree field, for many people its just a job, and they are just trying to do good and splurt out whatever innately comes to them as advice about clothing. Some are jackasses, but I have not had many give me a hard time, and most defer to what I say as long as I am clearly confident about it.

3. I think unbel is right about Texas.

6. unbelragazzo

I've derailed this thread enough recently so I won't go into a long explanation of why Texas isn't a part of the South. But almost every Texan and every Southerner I've ever talked to has agreed that it is not. It's only people not from either place that keep insisting that it is.

7. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

This thread was meant for derailing.

As a whole, Texas is Texas. One, there is an overriding Texas identity, probably stronger than American identity for most Texans. Two, outside of that identity and culture, different areas of Texas are easily associated with the values of different American regions. East Texas is definitely the South. It bears all the hallmarks. The panhandle and the DFW area are Midwest. And the rest of Texas is Southwest, with its heavy Hispanic influence.

I wonder if there is the equivalent of Hofstede's work or the WVS for US regions [​IMG]

-------

I don't think I've ever lost my shit. And I've been through some seriously rough patches in my day.

(so when I do, I bet it'll be epic)

8. unbelragazzo

DFW and east could be credibly called part of the south. But that leaves out a lot or Texas, and the state has its own cultural identity, as you say. Similarly Florida south of the panhandle is not the South.

9. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

lies.

[​IMG]

10. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Texas. Slaves? Check. Confederacy? Check.

South.

11. Jamesgatz

Jamesgatz Senior member

I'm not an American, but I'm taken aback to hear that some don't consider Texas to be South - for reasons SB mentioned. Is it cultural differences?

12. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

He might have had a bad day at work. I try to be gracious about stuff like that. On the other hand, he's got one job while being there, and that's tending to whatever the customer wants. If they haven't got what's requested, he should just say so in a polite manner.

I don't expect SA's to know what's SF approved. I do expect them to be, if not super nice, at least civil. In the best of all possible worlds, they should also have some knowledge about what a conservatively cut suit looks like if they're going to be working in the suit department.

13. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

^ This. For most outside of the US, Texas is the very epitome of the south.

14. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Either way, it's an awesome state. I've taken a road trip from Miami to LA, and I distinctly remember how nice people in Texas were. Having said that, people in small towns were especially nice, no matter the state, and in bigger cities it depended mostly on what part you were in.

I'd choose most major American cities over London, not just for the cost of living, but mostly because of how nice the people are. People in London aren't very nice in general, and the cost of living is outrageous, even in comparison to NYC or SF. $1700/month is the absolute minimum for a shitty apartment with flatmates in a somewhat safe area. I'd like to live on my own, but that'll cost me upwards of $3500/month, with a longer commute to work.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014

15. unbelragazzo