1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't want to lie to my future kids about Santa Claus and Christmas. I will; I don't want them to spoil it for other kids. But I really dislike the idea. There are enough wondrous things in life that actually do happen.

This has bugged me for years.

1 person likes this.
  2. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think the raw silk looks awesome. If you don't have a CBD dress code to adhere to, and you really like the suit, I think you should get it.

+ As far as animated movies go, Miyazaki is an all time favorite for me.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Last post about animation. Geris Game is one of my favorite shorts. In general I love all of Pixars Shorts but this one was one of the first.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  4. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

I think there are national differences in association, and within individual nations regional differences as well. Think, e.g., of the almost clichéd association in the American northeast of the pinstripe suit with IBM employees, back in the day. I suspect the association with banking was strongest in London, and perhaps still is.

In the American northeast my impression these days is that in most business or academic contexts in which a suit is appropriate a pinstripe would be fine.

Cheers,

Ac

https://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/waywewore/waywewore_1.html

5. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

It hasn't bothered me in the past, but my older two girls are getting to the age where I'm finding it even more important to teach them the value of credibility and truthfulness. I'm not sure how I will respond when the oldest has that first seed of doubt and asks me to reaffirm Santa's existence. Part of me wants to level with her at that moment, but I also realize that she will absolutely tell her younger sisters and that's not fair to them.

6. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

My Daughter was so entranced with Frozen that my wife had to download a cam-bootleg (Apparently people still do that) in January just so that she would stop.

WRT Other kids movies: Agree on Miyazaki's work, though it can be heavy and bloody (E.G. Naussica or Mononoke). Aside from Ponyo/Howl/Spirited Away/Naussica/Totoro they've enjoyed Porco Rosso and The Secret World of Arietty (though Miyazaki did not direct that one). Wreck it Ralph, Tangled, and Frozen are also big and I like them because they focus on theme's beyond standard Disney movies. Ralph is a movie with very heavy social commentary undertones. I'm actually pretty convinced that Frozen - apart from being a story about how love does not have to be romantic love - is in some way an allegory about mental illness. Tangled is obviously about learning how to deal with abusive relationships and be self sufficient.

For kids shows though - that everyone can watch, it's hard to beat My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Aside from having a compelling story that is consistently well written, the characters are dynamic and it constantly pokes fun at its own saturday morning special-esque tropes.

7. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

I've turned it into a critical thinking exercise for my son. He's starting to suspect - he was told that the easter bunny isn't real and then asserted to me that his mom and I are the tooth fairy. What I told him in both cases was that I will believe him so long as he can prove it. Now he wants to catch us in the act.

1 person likes this.
  8. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

As we continue our coverage of animation films on Noodles' Thread Network, we want to take a short pause and mention this:
    EVERY SINGLE TIME I wear this suit, I get compliments. I rarely get compliments but this one is an automatic and I am baffled.
    Just today, I was walking back to the office with my wife after lunch and this group of girls complimented me on my suit.
    They were like, if your wife hasn't said anything, she is crazy~(paraphrase).
    My wife was happy to hear it 'cus she picked it out for our wedding.
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  9. Stencil

Stencil Senior member

It's the box check, perhaps? I think it's an uncommon site for non clotheshorses, and a little racy as business-acceptable suits go.

2 people like this.
  10. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Women 'round here like loud & vibrant. This is a pretty bold pattern for the area. It also fits you well

1 person likes this.
  11. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I've wanted to get a suit very much like that for a while, I think it looks good on you too.

I'm going to wait for next trip as a solid navy probably should come first, but eh.

1 person likes this.
  12. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

@The Noodles, less conservative suits are going to be noticed more often and more likely to get compliments. In this case you have what seems to be a RAF blue with windowpane, which is very different from the dark blue and grey solids and pinstripes that I imagine are the mainstays of suit wardrobes where you are. So the relatively unusual suit is more likely to be noticed for itself rather than it's role in an overall look.

The suits I most often get compliments on are a tan linen and a RAF blue wool / linen blend. The former really stands out while the latter does so in a more subtle way. After that, it's probably my grey flannel DB (notable for being DB and for being flannel). I find when I dress in more conservative suits, compliments are usually of the "you look nice" sort rather than on a particular piece.

1 person likes this.
  13. The Noodles

@Isolation
    Appreciate your compliment.

By the way, I believe you have mentioned your want to build your wardrobe from scratch. What are you trying to get? Do you have a wish list?

Here's mine:
    1) POW suit (3 season)
    2) Light grey suit
    3) Formosa suits (all)
    4) DB suits

14. jungleroller

I [​IMG] that movie.

Did you see the Ghost in the shell and or the remake of the Intro? ***Contains nudity***** NSFW*****

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/29/5759904/ghost-in-the-shell-title-recreated-in-4k-ash-thorp

1 person likes this.
  15. jungleroller

sorry for bombing this thread with animation stuff.

:embar:

16. The Noodles

It's a norm in this thread.[​IMG]

17. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Went to the Suit Supply in Georgetown this past week. Everyone was buying the blue birdseye S130s by VBC. Literally saw 4 guys walk out the door with it while we were there.

18. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Not an issue for me.

#jewish

19. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

[​IMG]

20. The Noodles

Does life really end when you have a baby?