Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Greg is a good choice...but doesnt seem quite sprezzy enough (nor do Spoo or DerekS). Reeves himself is a tad sprezzy. he's certainly got flair.

One of the categories is going to be patterns, 3 pattern minimum. Spoo, TTO, and AAS seem like ideal choices.

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Maomao would be great for spreez, but I doubt that we can get him in on this.

Good choices for the Chiefs on three patterns.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  3. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

I find it difficult to think of any SFer who has sprezz at the same level as NickP and Tira.
    As for patterns, even though AAS loves mixing it up, rather a large number of his fits don't work for me. Most of them are just too loud, IMO. Personally, I'm more fond of the pattern-, color- and texture mixing of DonC, for example.

4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

I rarely find them 2-3x nicer...

5. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

barims perhaps? I don't know about "sprezzy" really, but certainly eccentric (in the best possible meaning of the word), in a way not too far off from LK.

6. mothon

mothon Senior member

So does Formosa make the best suit?

7. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Sigh. What I'm saying is that it's not about how many times nicer it is. I'm not even sure I can really quantify how many more times one item is nicer than the other. If it's nicer, it's nicer. And I would prefer to have that which is nicer.

That is not really a question that is possible to answer. Lots of top notch suits iut there. But they make a damn fine suit!

8. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

I was hoping for a clagstyle answer there :D

*Something along the lines of...

(1)xFormosa≥(5)xSuitSupply/(9)xThrift = √a * income

* I haven't opened a math book in 15+ years

9. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

But the niceness doesn't exist in a vacuum. There are dollars associated with it, and they have to come from somewhere. That was the whole point of the discussion. Your price insensitivity is a bit of an outlier, don't you think?

That said, I don't think you'll get much pushback on the proposition that people prefer to have the nicer object.

10. TM79

TM79 Senior member

It's all relative to what you think is nice, what things you feel you need to have in an article of clothing in order to want to buy it, and either how much income you make or how far into credit card debt you're willing to go to get what you want.

The answer will be different for everyone.

11. Claghorn

Yes, but all this discussion has been on an individual level. Nobody has been suggesting that anything has a "true" or "right" value outside the individual.

(Just clarifying)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  12. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

But there is the suggestion that "quality" is something objective that does not depend on the individual. The individual then measures whether he wants 10% more "quality" at double the price, or whatever the parameters are for the choice he faces. This is how I understand the proposed model.

13. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Yep! It's largely a subjective endeavor, but that doesn't mean it's entirely irrelevant.

14. jedwards

jedwards Senior member

What no one has yet factored in is the fact that 99% of us live in enviroments where people would not have a clue about spalla camica (or similar obsession) even is or looks like... Or why you would pay more for it.

So WHY are we making these purchases when there is no one in our environment to even understand the beauty of these items other than us. And to our loved ones, we would look just as good in High Street Brand / Mall Brand clothes anyway.

15. Claghorn

Right. But that nebulous quality is defined by his own subjective preferences.

My point is that, for what I am talking about, it isn't even slightly less relevant. If anything, it is more relevant than say, the market price, in terms of assessing the rationality of a person's decision.

But then, I take a very loose interpretation of rationality, which would be a decision which is made that accurately reflects an agent's preferences. And despite what might be obvious, we often don't make decisions where this holds true, for a variety of reasons.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014