Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Sitting on a few bolts of fabric. Gave them a call and will probably be dropping off one at the MTM place. Will lower the pockets. Also adding pick stitching for shits and giggles. Because that's 20 bucks extra there. As opposed to 90 at B&T. Yeah, the pick stitching at B&T is going to be by hand. But so what?

2. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I'd ask them to lower the buttoning point and make the chest a little bigger, like your BN jacket, but I suppose you're not a fan of teh drape.

3. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

I am pleased with these developments

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

so, basically, seems like clags is saying that BnT in not worth the price? you have to factor in that you are also paying for the experience and knowledge of the staff, the time of their labor, which due to simple supply and demand is a high value, and above all, you are paying for the experience of exclusivity and luxury of being a patron of BnT.

basically, they are not very different than zegna, or isaia.... they are a brand name, and brand names cost money. and as you know, i am perfectly fine with that, and think its fair and square as long as people are happy to be be paying for it.

5. Claghorn

The quality of BnT is definitely above my MTM. But the MTM isn't bad. If I were just starting out with them, I'd got B&T all the way. But I've had 8 jackets now from that MTM tailor, and each one has been a little better.

6. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Who do you use for your MTM?

7. Claghorn

yo momma

(a Korean tailor called 코베리 that contracts to the same factory that a lot of mid-tier mtm firms do)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014

8. in stitches

i have no doubt that that is true. but you are still paying for the BnT brand when you shop there. which makes me happy.

9. Claghorn

Oh. That's absolutely true. It was one of the reasons that it was weird deciding not to get my next jacket there (it wasn't about not being able to afford it. It was about not thinking it was worth it). It's tough to accept that a brand preference was causing you to make economically irrational decisions (as in, while the B&T name was worth the extra money [(Pb&t - Pmtm) - WTPquality + WTPstyle = WTPbrand]* , I didn't want me to feel as if it worth it because, on a purely intellectual level, I thought that it wasn't worth it). And tougher still to overcome that preference. So yeah. Weird feeling.

*I like the style of the MTM a bit more, so that takes away a bit from the premium. I figure I'm paying for the increased in quality, the brand, and taking a hit on the style

10. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Clags, how about you proxy me a MTM with your order and that will make you feel even better about decision.

11. in stitches

clags, what does WTP stand for there?

12. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Willingness to Pay

13. in stitches

oh, for me, it goes like this: if i like it and i can afford it (im very liberal with that second part), i go for it. greg knows all about this.

14. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Close/scary encounter from yesterday.
    My wife has some fashion app on her phone that is like SF, except that it mainly caters to women.
    But yesterday, my wife was complaining about all the pictures of suits (she already hates suits cus of my addiction to SF).
    So I looked at her phone to see what kind of pix she was complaining about and low and behold they were pix from Pitti Uomo! [​IMG]
    I

15. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I think Claghorn's query was more of the nature of how much more are you willing to pay for a marginal increase in quality. The same is often debated in shoe threads: are you willing to pay twice the price of Carmina for Edward Green, even though the quality of EG is only 1.1x as good? Seeing as Claghorn prefers the MTM style, he'd rather have 3 MTM jackets than 1 B&T jacket that is only slightly better quality and fit wise and has a worse style. Makes sense to me.

Everyone encounters these questions at some point int time. This was a recent question I had: Would I rather have 2-3 suitsupply suits that fit pretty well but have some drawbacks style and construction wise, or 1 Sartoria Partenopea that fits perfectly, is much better constructed and more stylish? That was of course an easy one, but I can imagine that if you move up in price, the difficulty of answering this question will also go up.

For example, would you rather have 3 Formosa's or 1 brand X that is slightly better in quality and fit?