Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. AJL

AJL Senior member

Didn't know, didn't find it amusing, or both? Admittedly, not my best effort. Though this is the (your) Good Natured thread, so I'd think it'd be a given.
    (XD?)

2. kulata

kulata Senior member

Go window shopping with your wife and cellphone, try stuff on and take pics. It's that simple.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  3. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Posted this a few pages back and I'm looking for some advice on how to wear it. Mainly what color pants. I keep going back and forth. Light/dark, Grey/Navy, White/Lt blue chinos... I don't currently have any white/beige/light blue chinos.

Cleav, I'm sorry my friend. You approached him as a gent and a professional and in no way threatening imo. Sad that he can't just take care of you. The other guy in that thread however, eh, he should just suck it up as the order was in. I'd wipe my ass with it and mail it back to him if what your saying is the case.

4. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

@Cleav , it's a real shame how things turned out. Hope you can still return your ties and get your money back.

Here are some pics of my PC printed grenadine, for comparison. Mabye it'll help you in some way. The printing looks much cleaner than yours. I don't think it's vintage, but I'm ok with that as it wasn't advertised that way.

I bought it last year from Exquisite Trimmings for about 65GBP, so customer service was top notch. I certainly won't order ties from Gianni directly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. kulata

kulata Senior member

stone/dove grey/sand/white/beige/brown/blue/olive chinos

6. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

You heard it here first. For every jacket I get from B&T, I can get 3 from my MTM tailor. I'm going back. At four pieces from B&T, I am happy with what I have from them. And happy to have gone through the experience. But given the fit that MTM gets me.....

anyway, thoughts on this?

7. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Do you have any experience with Bonobos? I keep getting their catalog for some reason despite never purchasing anything from them. They seem to have a nice lineup of chinos.

8. kulata

kulata Senior member

No idea. I buy chinos from Polo and Jcrew.

Your MTM fits you very well but it doesn't optimize your proportions. The jackets are very lean in the chest and shoulders making your top block narrow unlike the BnTailor that gives you a nice V, if you can get them to add some drape in the chest, extend the shoulder a bit and move the buttoning point down a bit then it makes a lot of economic sense. I think these are reasonable changes that the MTM company should be able to accommodate.

9. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Claghorn:

Could you do a side by side pic of the two jackets, the best of your MTM and a B&T, same pose etc.? More views (front, back, etc.) the better I suppose, but front might be good enough.

@Cleav Sorry to hear about the troubles. Fight the good fight.

10. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I agree 100% with this. My work environment is CBD, and I wear the E. Zegna Roma cut that Kulata posted without hesitation.

12. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Good for you @Cleav . You don't mess around. I litigate for a living and am not sure I would invest the time and energy pursuing him over this, so glad to hear you are holding him accountable.

13. AJL

AJL Senior member

Good points. While clag's fits always seem impeccable, I notice the shoulders in some of his jackets seem rather sloped and narrow (abetted perhaps by that hunched posture he sometimes adopts...not sure why). A side by side as TweedyProf suggests might be instructive.

14. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG][​IMG]

15. jedwards

jedwards Senior member

I've always thought that there is absolutely no need for most men to go bespoke in this day and age, if they can fit into the wide range of RTW / MTM options with a bit of tweaking.

What I would say though @claghorn is, your suits look great, but you never really embraced the "BT tailor aesthetic" which feels a lot more dramatic than the suits you were commissioning. (That's not a criticism of course, just an observation) Now, that may be because you need to be 100% CBD in work, but sort of goes back to my original point, unless you have a difficult body shape, you might as well just go RTW/MTM.

I only go to tailors for a specific aesthetic / house style I feel I can't get 'ordinarily' in RTW. If you are a guy with a normal build choosing normal colours / patterns and commissioning relatively expensive bespoke tailors to create fairly conservative stuff, you will get more ROI through a decent brand or MTM?
    Unless one enjoys the process of meeting with tailors etc.

Either way, your suits look nice.