1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

I believe that needs a #sarcasm tag

2. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

I wish it were true.
    I have big head, narrow shoulders, and a flat ass. Oh wait...things do fit me well off the rack lol.

I am now 175 lbs and 5'11".

Almost forgot! My Formosa is ready for pickup but Mr.Field is closed tomorrow cus he has to attend a wedding. I have to wait til next saturday.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  3. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

Bummer...you can't get it Monday?

4. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Field is closed on Sundays & Mondays

5. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

VictorSF was muscular. And I'd say his clothes and fits were among the best. I believe there was another athletic guy of Polish origin in the early days that looked great as well.

The reason average body types (I'm in this spectrum regarding height) tend to look best in clothes is because RTW clothes are tailored to those specifics. Since the majority of people purchase RTW suits, it's only natural that they will fit the average man better than someone outside the average zone.

But when/if going bespoke, I'd choose 188cm height and an athletic build anytime in front of 178cm and a thin body with narrow shoulders and a flat ass.

6. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I don't think all people find the taller + more muscular the more attractive/aesthetically pleasing generally speaking, even if it's "ideal" and "proportioned" theoreticals. I think more people find it more attractive than otherwise, and then culture exacerbates that ratio, iyam. A lot of it has to do with culture of masculinity and so on, because certainly not everyone prefers taller women, or even "fuller" bodied ones, but are probably reinforced by media to see those things as the preferred ideal, to at least like it more than they might naturally be inclined to.

I do kind of think 5'10 to 6 is probably the ideal height I personally want to be, but perhaps I am biased because I am that height, but I tend to think of people not of that height to be either a bit too short or too tall. Again, that's probably because of my own height, but maybe not completely.

7. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

I always thought 6'4" and 210 was the ideal ;)
    But seriously, i think t is more about proportion. When I was much younger and skinnier it was very hard to find clothes that fit well and consequently hard to look good. I could only ever buy suits as seperates, which was limiting, and even then I was too thin for my height to look good.
    However, I had the same problems when I was 225 - chest and shoulders disproportinately much bigger than waist and hips (although I did prefer being that size).
    Which brings me back to my original statement. *tongue firmly in cheek*

8. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

There is only one place where size matters.

1 person likes this.
  9. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

The brain? Mine is rather tiny, so maybe I don't know what you mean? ;)

1 person likes this.
  10. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Amusement parks? I've been tall enough to go on all the rides for years now.

4 people like this.
  11. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Even with bespoke, those who stray too far from my suggested dimensions tend not to look as good as our archetypal, skinny, tallish man.

1 person likes this.
  12. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Shoulders. Tailor can take care of most else.

13. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

That's why I have them do my taxes and babysit my kids.

3 people like this.
  14. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

who maintains your poop deck :confused:

15. mktitsworth

Cordwainers. Because they have to understand the way the sole of the shoe interacts with different walking surfaces, they are intimately familiar with the maintenance of such surfaces.

16. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

This conversation popped into my head as I was running this morning, and it occurred to me that the classic proportions for tailored clothing were developed at a time when men were most certainly not 6'2" and when muscles were found on laborers, not men who wore suits daily.

17. mktitsworth

18. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

But it's wrong. I will try to elaborate soon.

1 person likes this.
  19. mktitsworth

20. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

It depends on what one means by the time when “the classic proportions for tailored clothing were developed.” Certainly the English tailoring of the latter half of the 19th century was strongly influenced by a military/equestrian look; I don’t think it would be accurate to say that none of its patrons were muscular. The officer corps was largely made up of aristocrats (since commissions were for sale, but not to just anyone) and military service in the corps ran in families. Male members of the royal family often held genuine military appointments, and the landed gentry followed suit. Many of those guys were pretty fit. Even the morning coat takes its name from the morning exercise appropriate to a gentleman: riding.

So far as military tradition goes, things were similar in the German-speaking world, but not in the French, of course.

Cheers,

Ac

1 person likes this.