Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

What Clags said, but with about half the intensity of negative feeling.

2. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

South Korea 1:1 Russia
    The Russians were below my expectations and the Koreans were not as bad. The Koreans were out of shape and they lacked passion. I do not see them advancing to the round of 16.

3. AJL

AJL Senior member

I had in mind pairing the "confetti" tie with this shirt, a cotton linen blend, and the medium blue "creamy waffle" jacket featured some pages back, for a light, summery look. I can definitely see why this tie could rub you the wrong way clags, as your aesthetic tends towards crisp and precise, which falling confetti does not evoke.

[​IMG]

I liked the colors on the dense neat, and thought maybe it made a bolder statement than some sparser, smaller figured ties.

I'm wondering whether the navy/orange stripe grenadine would work with blue jackets? I guess it would depend on the shade of blue.

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

filson navy twill and harris tweed every day. one of the best kops i have ever made in my life.
    i dont love the top one either, but i certainly dont dislike it. i think that vibe is perhaps a bit of intentional summer fun. agree on middle two. like that last one a lot. i think dense neats are very usable and very nice. --- AJL - that would make a nice potential fit what you lay out. also, i dont think dense neats are particularly bold. here are a few of mine that are on the denser side, in action: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014

5. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

What say you about these, since AJL has started the NMWA tie conversation

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brown ties, striped. The bottom is slubbier; the top a fina. The top's unlined nature worries me since I suspect it will stretch more easily and knot less well. But a brown striped fina seems somewhat unique (I haven't seen a lot of those recently). While I like slubby ties, the bottom does lack some versatility as it is traditionally, the fabric of a summer tie though I can see wearing it into the fall season a bit.

6. Evolve

Evolve Senior member

In my experience, unlined ties (6 and 7 folds, at least) make great knots with awesome dimples. You are correct in your assumption that they will stretch more, though. (Grenadines, anyway.) By the way, TweedyProf, I've noticed you seem excessively concerned with tie construction/proportions/specs/knots/dimples/what have you. Seems like every other post of yours is inquiring about said issues. I'm picky about my tie knots, too, but lighten up a bit about it, man.

7. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

A slubby repp stripe seems to sned mixed message . An otherwise CBD tie trying to be casual. Block or bar stripe at a pinch, but generally solid for slubs IMO- not that i don't covet some of the Conrad Wu repp shantungs [​IMG]

8. Evolve

Evolve Senior member

I disagree. Repp stripe ties are inherently rather casual, IMO, regardless of material/texture. In the U.S., at least, repp stripes are traditional "blazer ties" (and therefore casual) and are associated with Trad/Ivy/Prep. Sure, they can work with a suit in CBD contexts, but solids or neats are more "formal"--or at least more CBD appropriate in my mind--than stripped ties of any sort.

A repp stripe tie made from a slubby material is perfectly appropriate and congruent. Solids and block stripes are fine, too. What would be odd and a "mixed message" tie to me would be a shantung with a neat, business-y pattern.

9. teoky

teoky Senior member

I'm actually looking to purchase this tie, but I'm not sure if NMWA ship internationally.

Anyway, how's the quality of Bigi tie in general? It will be even better if anyone with that particular tie able to share their experience/pics [​IMG]

10. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

top one does not do it for me, have been close to pulling the trigger on the bottom one, a number of times.

11. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

12. teoky

teoky Senior member

Can I have some help? Which of these Bigi tie I should get or maybe both?

I can't find any picture in the wild for the brown one though..

[​IMG][​IMG]

13. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

The bottom will go better with tweed. And it's a better color. Get it.

Bigi is excellent; I have two. They'll ship internationally, but you need to email or message them. DONT LET STITCHY PROXY FOR YOU! I made that mistake once.

Do you wear a lot of navy? Get the one on the rightleft. Do you wear a lot of gray? Get the one on the leftright. Do you wear a lot of both colors? And can you afford both ties? Get both.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014

14. teoky

teoky Senior member

I don't know what happen there, but I LOL to that [​IMG]

I wear both navy and gray... maybe I should get both [​IMG]

15. Rudals

Rudals Senior member