Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Both of these look very formal

Not something I'd wear every day. Certainly not with a sportcoat. Navy suit, maybe

2. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

MF I like the olive navy PoW at NMWA (calabrese), for something not silver. I have an olive pow that works quite well. It's 85 now in the sale.

3. teoky

teoky Senior member

Any reason you not wearing burgundy or green much? I thought that they are quite versatile, especially burgundy for me.

4. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

They are, but I just don't like them that much. Whenever I wear a navy, brown or grey tie I just find it looks much better on me. I guess we all have our idiosyncrasies. I might pick up a forest green grenadine or an olive neat one day, but it's not on the list at the moment.

I won't be wearing ties for more than 2-3 days out of the week for the coming few years anyway, so with 35 ties I could go about 11 weeks without ever repeating a single tie. I know buying new items can be fun and SF stimulates that to certain extent, but after a while you should ask yourself how much you're actually going to wear that extra tie/jacket/whatever. Taking a step back once every so often and reassessing your wardrobe is probably a good idea. I was amazed at some of things I found in my closet that I had worn once and completely forgotten about or even still had the tags on them.

That's why this thread is so helpful, as most of the discussions make you think about/assess your own wardrobe.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  5. teoky

teoky Senior member

That's so true. I've just started my journey into classic menswear, so I'm looking on how to match the colours & patterns especially when I'm working in quite a CBD environment too (similar to our beloved Noodles here). I'm planning to get a forest green grenadine from Hober but wondering how should one wear it? Appreciate any suggestions.

6. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

A forest green grenadine goes with pretty much anything: odd jackets/suits, navy/grey, blue/white shirt, black/brown shoes.

7. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I have the Forest Green grenadine and wear it mostly with navy and mid-grey suits. I also wear it frequently with a blazer and grey or brown (a shade similar to coffee with a little cream) pants.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  8. kulata

kulata Senior member

Totally agree with your advise. It will be good outside the office for ceremonies, church etc where a lighter color and lower contrast shirt and tie combo can be worn with navy and grey suits. And if you build an arsenal of summer suits in colors such as tan, cream, sand, stone etc then you can rock them with cream ties

You can rock it your own way but this guy does it his own way and I like it

[​IMG]

9. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Light beige/cream based ties are great for sunnier months. Not hard to wear at all - jut get some blue in the outfit (suit or blazer) and you're good. It's that low contrast (shirt/tie) look again that doesn't get enough love on SF but is a basic of dressing well in spring/summer. Solid cream does feel a bit formal though. Stripes are better for everyday wear IMO

10. TweedyProf

Well, since we were advising Rudals about his ties, I still don't see the two creams as keepers. I agree that the first is too busy due to the spacing between the stripes; the second is ok, except the stripes seem too dark (black). A more blue blue (as opposed to midnight or dark navy) might work.

Heh...try them on Rudals!

11. TweedyProf

Tassled loafers, no socks, tie...I can't pull that off.

12. kulata

kulata Senior member

Then you wear your own shoes and socks your own way. :D

13. teoky

teoky Senior member

X-post from Vanda. Received the ties from Vanda today. I bought the navy yellow stripe for my dad but I'm also interested in knowing how to pair up the tie with a suits. @TweedyProf

[​IMG]

14. TweedyProf

Yeah...I think you could pull that look off well, if you wished.

I'm getting a bit crotchety in my middle age (44!). Still, I do wear no socks with some casual fits.

15. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

yup. brown grenadine also works with a ton of stuff. i think i have more brown and green ties than any other color.

does not always have to be low contrast :)

[​IMG]