1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Have anybody ever tried A. Quaranta Locatelli ties? Would love to hear your thoughts on them. I love them personally. They stock a small amount at a time on their website, but seem to update their collection rather frequently. Prices are €70 for standard 3-fold construction and €90 for 7-fold.

2. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Pompous bastards !

1 person likes this.
  3. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Please tell David to get the burgundy grenadine fina silk to his workshop quicker than mid-september whilst you're at it. I'm eager to place an order, but am waiting for it to arrive.

4. C&A

C&A Senior member

It's a Dutch based brand set up by a former Dutch/Swedish suit supply employee. It's a bit comparable to Shibumi and some of the other recently created tie/assecoires brands. Although I believe Viola Milano does a better job marketing their stuff on the social media. Their prices are pretty high. Look at the re-branded Sozzi zigzag ties for instance, € 95 plus shipping. They have some nice designs, but I personally prefer Hober or Cappelli. Or would for instance look into a bespoke Exquisite Trimmings' house brand tie.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    3 people like this.
  5. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks C&A.

Are those zig-zag's made by Sozzi then sold for a higher price? Henry Carter has some for sale, but none in chocolate or navy, alas.

6. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Not really. Diff companies have different reasons for being there. Plenty of companies don't want pics taken, at least from outlets they don't recognize. Most common reasons are worry about industrial espionage and no control over photo quality. Both are valid concerns.

1 person likes this.
  7. C&A

C&A Senior member

Yes they are. I see ET still has some colours left http://www.exquisitetrimmings.com/products/Ties. There is also a guy on the Dutch form who also has an account here (CarloLanza) who runs a Dutch online shop mainly selling Sozzi socks, he sold the ties for € 49 and deducts 21% VAT for orders outside of Europe. You could send him a pm and see whether he's got some left or can order some new ones.

2 people like this.
  8. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Are they Dutch? Didn't know that. I feel cheated now [​IMG]

9. C&A

C&A Senior member

Yes definitely. Google for Tom Nathaniel. You can also see that quite a lot of their ambassadors are Dutch. Some guys running the "Atelier Italia" for Oger, and some guys at Pauw Mannen.

1 person likes this.
  10. C&A

C&A Senior member

To add:

Together with some other Dutch and Scandinavian guys he is/was also the force behind the dg6 tumblr/site, which mainly published lists of "best dressed men". Basically mentioning everyone who gets a decent amount of blogging and reblogging at Pitti plus some Italian industrialists. But I think all these guys now went their separate ways or have different projects to attend to and are not putting much time in the dg6 thing anymore.

1 person likes this.
  11. TweedyProf

Top-two active SF threads that aren't WAYWRN or product related?

I find the shoe-care thread helpful, though I don't follow it very often. Tailor thread is not as interesting since the tailors are intermittent again in their participation so less opportunities to learn.

This thread has replaced the good taste thread for me, but mostly because the latter is dead. Anything interesting and active that I'm missing out before I shut off SF (to a large extent) for the school year?

1 person likes this.
  12. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

13. in stitches

Summer is always slow. Dont leave us.

14. TweedyProf

No, no not leaving, but you know how addicting SF can be, especially this thread when the regulars jump in on an interesting topic. Someday, there will be a Noodles get together, and I'll be in for that.

School year means lecturing, office hours, grading etc plus practices, activities for the kids, shuttling etc....so must shut down a bit which means looking once a day perhaps, not obsessively like now. Have three more weeks!

Was just curious what other threads people have enjoyed or have I found the good ones?

1 person likes this.
  15. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

LOL, this looks so much like an ad banner (on mobile) that I scrolled past it 3 times before I noticed it was one of your posts. :D

2 people like this.
  16. in stitches

lolsfaddictivewat?

Lame.

I enjoy a lot of threads! Off the top of my head:

WAYWRN
    LuxeSwap
    NMWA
    Rock Your Socks
    Noodles
    20 Thumbs
    Watch Appreciation
    Every Challenge Thread

:)

17. TweedyProf

18. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Speaking of pocket squares - Simonnot Godard Cotton/Linen worth it?

19. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

I hear their chambray is great.

2 people like this.
  20. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Is this a reference to what I think it is a reference to?