1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. vida

vida Senior member

OK. I'll try this again........:)

What do you guys think of the length of these two jackets. I tried both over the weekend but did not make a decision because I am a bit unsure of the length. The grey is an Isaia "Cortina" model and the other is by Boglioli. For reference, they are both 28" in length. I'm 5'9" and most of my jackets are about 29". They both fit almost exactly as shown in the photos
    [​IMG] isaia
    [​IMG] boglioli
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] actual boglioli fit

2. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

2 people like this.
  3. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

At Vida
    If you want classic length those are too short. Not covering your seat nor the models. As a casual blazer perhaps, but if the concern is classic length then those are too short. If you don't care and it fits your shoulders etc then keep it. Distance shot make it hard to make out much though.

Thanks Pingson, Kulata, AC, will ponder.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
    2 people like this.
  4. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

The houndstooth for sure. It's infinitely more versatile. You can dress it up with grey trousers and a nice tie like justin, dress it medium(?) with brown chinos and a light blue ocbd and probably even dress it down with jeans.

@aravenel
    When it comes to groomsmen, I don't get the whole practice of having a bunch of dudes standing behind you, especially not when they're all matching. The history behind it isn't particulalry appealing either. Anyway, I'm going to avoid that whole matchy-matchy problem by getting married without any groomsmen, when the time comes.

If they must wear a gold/yellow tie make sure it's not shiny and has some nice texture to it. Maybe linen, a grenadine or perhaps even cotton if the weather is still nice. Wear it with a navy suit and it'll look ok. I'm afraid it'll look washed out with a light grey suit. It's certainly a very hard look to pull off. All three ties you've chosen are nice, but I'd recommend you don't buy the same tie. Buy different ones in the yellow spectrum and it'll look much nicer, like your groomsmen actually got to choose their own tie.

5. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

Not even one pull-up, Noodles. That makes me sad. Screw suits and immediately direct your focus to pulling your chin up over the damn bar.

3 people like this.
  6. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

Not a big deal man, if I could trade muscle for more brain I definitely would :)

7. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Has anyone had Will Field re-cut double reverse pleat trousers into flat front? And if so, was it successful? Or should I just question my own sanity regarding removing double pleats.

8. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

Muscle can help you get brain....if you know what I mean.

9. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Like many others, I'd prefer to have both.

Shockingly, this is possible.

10. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

Yes, it is possible to have both. But in actual real life, the smartest and most successful men I've come across have spent very little time inside a gym.

1 person likes this.
  11. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

No. But make an appt to see him. He is an excellent tailor and person. He alwaus takes time to answer my questions and educates me on stuff, like how to look for fully canvassed jacket using the peel method.

1 person likes this.
  12. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

You the man!

That's quite interesting.
    The successful (not necessarily smart)people that I have met in the business world are very hard working people and are workout-holics as well as workaholics

1 person likes this.
  13. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Yep, that's the plan. He's been great with every interaction I've had with him. Trying to decide whether to pick the suit up off the bay or not atm.

1 person likes this.
  14. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

Where the hell do you live man :) cause it definitely isn't where I live :)

1 person likes this.
  15. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Same here. The super type-A, masters of the universe I know apply their hard-working nature towards both their body and their work.

1 person likes this.
  16. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Aravanel - The first link is the best!

17. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

You've apparently never worked in Orthopaedic surgery.

I will say that endurance sports are more popular among the affluent. I've done both. I use to race bikes and I primarily lift now. Cycling will always be my passion and I hope to someday get back into and balance that and lifting. I could probably race well at 170lbs or so. I'm 5'10 and 165 right now.

1 person likes this.
  18. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

I enjoy going to the gym as well, but I was always more interested in strength training then endurance training. I grew up idolizing guys like Stallone, Arnold, etc. :) Not to mention I was tall and lanky as a kid growing up, so I couldn't wait to put on any kind of muscle, even if it meant losing losing each and every abdominal in the process :)

19. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

Ortho is famous for attracting athletes. What about other specialties?

20. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Sports and gym are not the same, @MGD83 was talking about the gym specifically. I love cycling, but I absolutely hate the gym.