1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

You would make a terrible :foo:

2. aglose

aglose Senior Member

So I'm looking for a good boot to walk to class in for this winter. I go to school in Colorado, so snow is pretty prevalent. Would leather or suede be better? I was thinking suede chukka on a danite sole would be the best. Would darker colored suede be better or lighter?

3. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Go with dark brown/chocolate. I have a pair of snuff and while I like them, they can look pretty awful after a while. Check out the MTOs on Skoak or GFW page. If they don't already have something similar going, they will soon.

4. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Distinguished Member

http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=4080, if you don't mind waiting for a month or two.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014

5. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Distinguished Member

For those winter conditions, a pebble grain w/ commando sole boot might fit the bill...

6. jrd617

jrd617 Stylish Dinosaur

If the price on that jacket was good, you could get a good tailor to cut away at the quarters...

7. Cleav

Cleav Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored Moderator

8. aglose

aglose Senior Member

^was thinking of the Islay, but it's just so dang expensive. Kinda hoping they go on sale when C&J have their June sale but I doubt it will be on their sale list since it's so popular.

9. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

I'm perhaps in the minority for this thread, but in wet snow, high salt conditions, I figure I should have something I'm less concerned about getting beat up, but still of reasonable quality, so no Carminas/C&Js for me.

I have these as my winter boots, which I picked up at quite a discount (easy to find AEs at big discounts if you are patient)

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF6041_1_40000000001_-1_

I admit they do not look as handsome as the C&J, but I doubt it snows as hard in London where Cleav is than in Colorado. And in a foot of snow, I don't want to worry about my boots. You can always change into something work appropriate when you get to the office. I use trees, brush them off, obenaufed them. They'll last for a while, and I don't think twice as opposed to a $600 boot.

10. jungleroller

jungleroller Distinguished Member

I'm with you Tweedy. ^^ I have those in Grey and they are tough and I think they're stylish enough.

11. TweedyProf

Oh, you're a student. Definitely AEs, unless you have some atypical means for a student. C&Js are hard to find in the AE range unless you get lucky at Barney's Warehouse.

12. aglose

aglose Senior Member

^another good option, but not in my size currently :/ need a size 9 US.

13. TweedyProf

Well, it's not winter yet. I got mine at 6PM or some place like that sub $200. Patience, and you'll easily score a deal on that make.

14. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Grenson "Fred C" (the triple-soled Fred with a commando sole). Some time over the summer you'll find them on sale somewhere - either Grenson's own sale, Pediwear or East Dane (where I got mine). They have a hatch-grain type finish on the ones I've got. Cheapish but robust leather and for the price (I got mine for about $200), they are a lot of boot. Perfect for your needs I think. Here are mine - various colours and options are out there, see what's at a good discount in your size:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

N.B. They are a "G" fitting and feel like it, so size down a whole number from your US size if you're a US "D" width, and you'll still have plenty of room for two pairs of socks!

15. aglose

aglose Senior Member

Well, as a student I invest in my wardrobe more then most other students, I usually get a pair of shoes at the end of the summer with some of the money I've made working over the summer.

Edit:I like the grenson the best so far I think. Great price point at sub $200 and leaves some room for another pair of shoes before I head back to school.