Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I felt no tightness in the armpits. SA said the shoulders were too big so he recommended 38R.

Fact is, I believe Monkeyface has pointed this out, my weight gain has contributed to fat buildup in my chest and tummy. I just need to get rid of this....honey moon fat. :D

2. kulata

kulata Senior member

From what I have observed the same issue will happen with roped shoulder if it isn't cut properly or the suit gets tight across the shoulder blades (small overarm measurement). [​IMG] I started lifting weights and doing serious back exercises and most of my jackets started to divot so I read up on it before taking it to my tailor to fix the ones that could be salvaged. Divots on a roped shoulder
    [​IMG]
    Tailors on divots
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/265924/...-and-alteration-suggestions/4725#post_7068852

3. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

It can be very good, but sometimes it's :brick:

5. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

6. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think it has found a group of like minded, interested folks of similar understanding of and taste in clothes. Not everyone is at the Good Taste level, but everyone is keen. I think it might last a bit longer than the Good Taste thread, given new blood, sometimes old blood, and different samples of topics (some great, some not so, as SB noted).

7. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks for gathering these Tailor comments,@kulata

Somewhere in the recesses of SF, Despos had a nice way of illustrating the basic idea JeffD is explaining and it's how I remember it. Take a disk and a circle with a smaller diameter, e.g. a rubber band. To fit the larger disk into the circle, you have to distort the circle to elongate it so as to accommodate the disk. In a jacket, this makes the arm hole collapse into a divot.

You can see this easily in your own jacket. Go to the arm hole and grab it along the two endpoints of the diameter parallel to the ground and slowly pull the hole wider (front and back, essentially what you'd have to do to the rubber band). You will slowly see a divot form.

As I said earlier, I don't think that's what is happening in Rudals case but is insufficient accommodation of the overarm measurement (for which you give a figure).

8. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Snuff. Actually picked them up after seeing photos of your doeskin pair. I'll take some pics this week, took them drinking yesterday and they need some scrubbing.

9. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I am to blame for the latter.
    I know I just crank out dumb questions and thoughts. But I'll make a good decision very soon and turn the corner on suits. I can definitely tone myself down. But I hope others step it up. This thread is lucky to have regulars who are very helpful. I don't have to name them but you know who you are.

10. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

My new Sartoria Partenopea suit arrived today! It fits pretty much perfectly and the grey herringbone fabric is beautiful! I'll post a fitpic later, as I'm doubting whether to surpress the waist a little.

A pair of black cap toe Carminas arrived at the same time, and I'm very impressed with the quality. My CBD wardrobe is nearing completion, but I'm still waiting for some Luxire hidden BD shirts to arrive, and then I'm done with shopping for a while.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Let's see the pictures!

12. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Okay.
    The suit we can await on but what about the Carminas? How do they compare to other notible shoemakers?

13. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I don't have much experience with the really high end (EG, etc.) shoes besides trying them on in store, but the finishing seems to be on par with the likes of Alfred Sargent, and the leather is very nice as well. They're definitely punching above their weight when you're looking at the price/quality ratio. I'd put them slightly above C&J because of that, especially with the free shipping deal that's going on at the moment.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  14. TM79

TM79 Senior member

I think Carmina stand toe to toe (no pun intended) with some of the higher end shoemakers - I really think EG are pretty overrated/overpriced as are some others.

At the very least, they aren't 2.5-3x better quality to justify 2.5-3x higher price.

15. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I've had C&J benchgrade and handgrade. I think Carmina is better quality wise than benchgrade and at the same level as handgrade.