• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The cut of that jacket doesn't work for you and the shoulders are too big. They day I listen to a SA at a department store is the day I start subscribing to GQ...a very sad one.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought you took a firm stance again slimmer than Formosa lapels? Decided that was too extreme a stance? :D Oh, Noodles

On the shoulder's, I can't make a call without a better picture. It's shot from a low angle. In fact, I can't assess the fit of anything because the picture angle is so poor :D

At the moment, though, they don't look too wide. I don't know where @Murlsquirl is coming from? A little bit of overhang is okay. I actually prefer slightly extended shoulders because I have a big head. So did this guy

North-By-Northwest-4.jpg

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bring a measuring tape next time and measure the width of the shoulders. :) That's how I always decide if I'm on the fence or can't gauge using a mirror

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Slight extension can work with soft/natural shoulders, but not those. It looks like they are extended to the point where they dimple / crease. That's just what I got out of that picture.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought you took a firm stance again slimmer than Formosa lapels? Decided that was too extreme a stance? :D Oh, Noodles

On the shoulder's, I can't make a call without a better picture. It's shot from a low angle. In fact, I can't assess the fit of anything because the picture angle is so poor :D

At the moment, though, they don't look too wide. I don't know where @Murlsquirl is coming from? A little bit of overhang is okay. I actually prefer slightly extended shoulders because I have a big head. So did this guy

Gotta side with Murl on this one: shoulders look lumpy and overextended in a not good way, part. right shoulder.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dunno if I agree with that tautology, Murl

Cary Grant's shoulders were not soft in that pic. That NxNW suit was made by Kilgour, which I believe does a military or equestrian cut with a structured shoulder

Edit: yep, they were padded

The suit jacket has a 3-button front rolled to the middle button. Though some people have the idea that this suit has no darts like the American sack, there are indeed darts to shape the front. The shoulders are padded and straight with roped sleeveheads.

http://thesuitsofjamesbond.com/?p=864

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He also appears to be leaning to the side with the extension

Point is, I'm not ready to make a definitive ruling until we get a better pic :)

Gotta side with Murl on this one: shoulders look lumpy and overextended in a not good way, part. right shoulder.

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

^ Cary Grant's shoulders were not soft in that pic either. That NxNW suit was made by Kilgour, which I believe does a military or equestrian cut with a structured shoulder

Fair nuff...but it doesn't work with the jacket Rudals is wearing. I'm guessing it has to due with the construction of the chest, back, sleeve, etc. Key word being, "guessing".

I agree with you....my judgement was premature and based on a crap picture.

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rudals posted a picture of the grey Zegna not too long ago that was taken at a low angle. It appeared "pear shaped" in that pic

Then when he posted a normal pic, the apparent "pear shape" was no longer present

@gdl203 not this, I think

Spandexter

Reaction score
Noodles, you seem to have quite high expectations of a RTW. Sure, the shoulders aren't as good as they could be but the chest tightness and slight pull are barely evident and IMO the open quarters aren't an issue (but each to their own). Point being: 99% of people are not going to notice these things and it is highly likely your grail Formosa will also have issues, so go easy on yourself otherwise you are only ever going to be happy with bespoke.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I stand by my shoulder comment...the right is a little off. Overall, the fit is not bad at all.

Last edited:

Evolve

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Noodles, you seem to have quite high expectations of a RTW. Sure, the shoulders aren't as good as they could be but the chest tightness and slight pull are barely evident and IMO the open quarters aren't an issue (but each to their own). Point being: 99% of people are not going to notice these things and it is highly likely your grail Formosa will also have issues, so go easy on yourself otherwise you are only ever going to be happy with bespoke.

Agreed that the quarters aren't an issue. I like them as is on that jacket. Those shoulders, though, would be a deal killer for me, RTW or not.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Rudals,

I don't think that's a divot. @Despos explains this somewhere in the Tailor's thread where this is just due to the fact that you have a large muscle/bulk in that area of the upper arm. I think that a tailor normally also measures the width of your body around your arms there to accommodate that extra bulk when the jacket is cut. This jacket just doesn't accommodate that part of your arm (and several of your other suits, the Zegnas, do not either). Hence, it bulges, but it's not creating a divot. Just a guess.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads