Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

And more importantly, mi amigo Rudals, go with an open mind. Do not go in there thinking: "this are not Zegna or Formosa or something fancy". Remember, your mind is like a parachute, it only woks if it's open. :)

2. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Thanks timo, greg, and Betel.
    I will ask for that and try on what fits me and pic here.
    Timo, I look forward to your feedback.

Greg, I feel you. I cannot wait for the fall. The Formosa is at the top of my list.

3. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Of course it's not a Neapolitan suit and it's not made in Naples, but it has some styling details that are common in Naples, such as a spalla camicia. I think Timo meant that it's inspired by a Neapolitan suit, not that it's actually made in Naples. Remember, not everyone on SF is a native English speaker.

The La Spalla can't be compared to a Formosa when it comes to quality, cut or hand work, but it's not a bad suit at all. It has some hand stitched details, is fully canvassed, is made out of nice fabrics, has relatively wide lapels and has a 3 roll 2 button stance, all for less than a 1000 bucks.

I do think it's a bit too short and tight everywhere, and at that price point much nicer suits can be found on ebay. However, for someone like Rudals, it's nice that they're always in stock, can be tried on in store whenever he wants and they're are certainly a step up compared to some of his current suits.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  4. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Which SS style for odd jackets is the preferred one by folks here (i.e. with appropriate button stance, length in one's normal size)?

@Rudals : I agree about trying stuff on as many folks have already said. The more you do, the more you develop and train your eye. You don't have to buy. Take your wife, and have fun (and you should let her find a boutique to try on stuff too, return the favor).

For fun and edification, if you go, pick the best and the worst by your eye, photograph, post and explain why (sort of HW, but I'll learn from your efforts too).

5. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I'm not a big fan of the Havana, Hudson or Copenhagen because of the high buttoning point, but some like the Havana best out of those. My favourite is the Soho, but it's a DB.

6. timotune

timotune Senior member

Of course Formosa, Partenopea etc are all in an entiterly different league.
    The La Spalla is made in China, I should have written "Neapolitalian Inspired". Not everything made in China nowadays is crap.
    It is, however, a pretty nice suit which is easily accesible for Rudals (with a SS-store in DC).
    So he can try the suit in different sizes, snap some quick pics & get feedback here before buying.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  7. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Yup. I told my wife that Timo told me to go to SS today and she asked, "Who is Timo?"

"Oh, this guy I met online."

"..."

Anyways, I will try different sizes and give a full effort. I am taking my Kpod with me.

8. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Damnit! I missed the end of the Capelli auction. Was it an SF:er who got it per chance?

9. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

!!!!!!!! We were counting on you!

J/K :p

10. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

I actually planned to be there the last minutes to make sure I got it, but I dozed off :embar:

11. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

No worries EFV, it's only a tie, of which I'm sure we all have plenty already. €117 is a pretty good deal though, but I'm sure another lot will pop up in the future.

12. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

^^ This. Happy Saturday. :)

13. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Hahahaha! That's why you have to change the "a guy a met online" to "a friend from #nolongerinVienna" (cause I dont know here Timo is living now :lol:) and all of the sudden, everything changes. :lol:

14. kulata

kulata Senior member

I only have odd jackets from them but based on what I have tried on. The DBs, La Spalla and Havana jackets.

15. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I didn't make it to SS and you all will probably hate me for going here (Neiman Marcus) but had to come to this mall for furniture. Wife suggested that I try this on and thut it looked ridiculous. But oh well.
    [​IMG]

I
    Also, I tried on Zegna 40R and everyone said the shoulders were big and the uninformed SA told me that I should get the jacket pinched at the back of neck.