Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't think there are any glaring issues in terms of how the suits fit you aside from possibly tightness in the top block which doesn't really seem to be a problem here. I defer to others like unbel on 3pcs, which I never wear or have thought to learn about (i.e. the vest).

There's a little collar gap in the third and the last one, but I strongly suspect it's how you're posing. I think anything more fine tuned, in terms of feedback, would require more boring poses. But if you are going bespoke (you mentioned B&T), then I suspect they will take care of the fine-tuned things. But on these, they look fine from the pics given the angles. You have flair, and you've picked up pieces that fit well OTR. This is much better than from where I started!

I think one aspect of dressing well is developing an eye for fit, coherence, combinations, etc. Looking at multiple examples, and articulating what is good and bad, is the best way to learn and I think the only way to learn. In this thread, taking part in the conversations is also both enjoyable and edifying.

2. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

These all look great!

3. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Cox, I have the same issue. I have had some luck addressing this issue by going up a size in a slimmer cut suit and then taking the back in at the side seams. Not a perfect solution, though. Nor as good as B & Tailor.

4. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Just looking. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014

5. TweedyProf

You want wider lapels Rudals! Button stance probably too high.

On another front: folks, do you think blucher is still too refined to wear with jeans?

[​IMG]

This scotch grain seems more rugged, but too dark IMO.

[​IMG]

6. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

n00b here thinks so.

7. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

That suit is exactly the same as some of your zegnas: shiny fabric, narrow lapels, high button stance and probably overpriced as well.

8. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

So...am I in the situation as result of buying from Zegna suits that are so called fashion-forward or would they have been bad even if I went 40R?

9. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

A little bit of both.

10. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

The pebble grain will work with the right jeans.

11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

@TweedyProf I have the shoes in the first picture (Carmina, dark cognac shell, Forest last). I would wear them with jeans in a pinch, but never do because there are much better choices. That is actually my favorite shoe as I find myself wearing them all the time, particularly when wearing an odd jacket and wool slacks (tie or no tie).

I'd like the shoe in the second picture with jeans more if it was a boot, but the scotch grain helps make it more casual.

12. TweedyProf

Thanks for feedback all. What is your preferred leather/suede shoe with standard blue denim? In the fall, I wear boots with mine, and also suede (e.g. dessert boots).

If I had a nice pair of chelseas, that would be nice for a slightly dressier look. But I thought a nice pair of bluchers with some brogueing to "countrify" it would be good too, though those carminas look slightly too refined as your responses confirm. Would you prefer a less adorned blucher?

@New Shoes1 : what are your better options?

13. kulata

kulata Senior member

Just go window shopping at suitsupply and other stores and try stuff on, take pictures and enjoy the experience. Also look for stores that carry Oxxford . Ask for the Oxxford 1220 and Type A cut (you can easily see those on the labels). They are modern Oxxford cuts and look fantastic but I didn't say buy, just try them on. and have a feel of what's out there. Have fun with it, you are not compelled to buy anything.

[​IMG]

Type A
    [​IMG]

14. aglose

aglose Senior member

I'd like some feed back on this fit, IMO the jacket is a touch long and everything needs a pressing (linen so near impossible)
    [​IMG]
    Also this odd jacket from boglioli that I got seems both too big in the chest and too narrow in the shoulders :/ not sure it it'd worth trying to have altered, but I love it so it's hard to decide.
    [​IMG]

For reference, I'm a 42r shoulder but a 40r everywhere else with a 34in waist. Boglioli pic is also useless for fit, I will try and post another in this afternoon.

15. europrep

europrep Senior member

C&J suede Sydney. I much prefer loafers with jeans. Carminas suede string loafers could be another good option.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]