Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

It's not as much a shopping spree as a planned purchase if he intends to get one like it in the future. If he've nailed down the fit in Formosa and enjoys the style of the maker and plans on purchasing such a suit in tge future AND has unlimited funds, he should go for it. I don't see why such a decision would be dependent on getting the staples first, as it would merely be an intertemporal decision.

If he, on the other hand, isn't sure of the factors mentioned above, he should abstain from purchasing.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014

2. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

But grey doesn't go with his complexion, so navy is the only CBD colour that's left!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014

3. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Agreed if he has unlimited funds but do not want to presume.

4. kulata

kulata Senior member

That's exactly why he needs to diversify the cuts. So consider this his first foray in mixing things up. But I am not buying noodle's excuse for avoiding grey suits.

5. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Thats not a bad idea at all. I was pretty pissed that I couldn't make it to SF last Sunday to get measured by Steed. I had planned on being there.

This whole complexion thing is shenanigans. Look at tchoy, similar complexion and wears beautiful grey suits all the time.

6. archibaldleach

I'd also think that he could diversify with different subtle textures, stripes and other more commonly seen things (even some lighter navy suits could work as there's an acceptable color range). I agree that I don't buy his excuse for avoiding grey suits; I would think at least some shade of grey would work.

7. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I know, I was being tongue in cheek. Grey looks great on pretty much everyone. I'm all for DBs -- I own 4 myself -- but Rudals tends to be a bit unsure of what he likes at times, which is perfectly normal, so spending 2k on something you might not end up liking/wearing much isn't the best idea. It might be better to buy a suitsupply DB first, wear it for a while, see if you feel comfortable and then get the formosa.

8. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Do I have unlimited funds? No. I've been taking a hard hit.
    I was just out and about in DC and I didn't see a single man in DB (obviously).
    But when I do see one, they're the ones that are usually dressed very nicely.

Grey and my complexion? I need a dark grey or light grey.
    The one that I had previously had lines that I did not like.
    The grey and my complexion thing is just a joke.

Staple suits? I have none.
    I should put all of them up for sale.
    I agree that I should really take my time so that I don't regret about a single purchase.
    DB suit will be a huge F.U. suit and I am fine with adding it regardless of whether I have staple suits or not.

9. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

You have to put in the work, Noodles. Go shopping. Try suits on—the whole suit, not just the jacket. Take pictures if necessary, and post them here. Figure out what works for you. Don't go to Neiman-Marcus. Look at something other than Zegna. Try Brooks Brothers various cuts. Go to the Ralph Lauren store and try on some PRL suits. Find a place that sells Southwick suits and try them. Just branch out beyond what you've been doing and see what's really out there. Don't worry about brand prestige. Let go of your preconceptions.

The obvious hole in this logic is that both black tie and white tie show a lot of shirt. And in black tie, a DB is less formal and shows less shirt.

10. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well, it's a rough guide, not sensitive to cross-category distinctions but rather within distinctions. And I'm not saying it's a law.

But is DB actually less formal in black tie? Honest question...it would then seem to be inverted between different categories. In the office, DB is more formal than SB; at the opera it isn't.

11. archibaldleach

My understanding is that some argue SB with vest > DB > SB with no vest. Since one does not need to wear a vest or cummerbund with a DB jacket in black tie, the SB option is generally more formal. Since one seldom wears a 3 piece suit nowadays, a DB could be seen as more formal.

One could also argue that a DB is simply more dandified and not necessarily more formal.

12. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

This.

13. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm sure it's certainly seen that way by the masses, which is probably what Rudals should consider.

14. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

I've been doing yoga and Pilates every day for the last 3 months or so after basically not exercising at all for about 5 years. I can tell I am getting stronger by my progress on the exercises but I don't think I've lost weight or look significantly different. Oh well. I've still been enjoying the routine anyway and I feel much better.

15. AJL

AJL Senior member

Noodles:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]