Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

SB, why? They are both fine, and if anything I prefer the long from the front. What's the actual length difference between the two jackets?

On each: Covers the rear, leaves the legs looking a good length, weight to the top, balanced top to bottom. The only thing left of any significance is where it falls relative to the hand. But at that point, I don't see a major issue: both are within the acceptable range.

With respect: aesthetically, what don't you like?

Still bottom line: AJL has to be comfortable with it.

2. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I don't feel as strongly about this as you do. I feel that the longer one looks best, more proportioned and elongates his silhouette (more flattering). The shorter one looks a little off to me but still acceptable. I think both lengths are OK but the longer one looks better.

3. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

Just so that I'm clear, in AJL's most recent pic post (#6440 above), are the odd-numbered photos the 48R and the even 50R? Or are the odds an "S" size?

(in either event I also like the odd-numbered shots)

4. AJL

AJL Senior member

Robo pose aside, my arms are just plain short, typically something like 23.5" from shoulder seam to end.

Pardon if I'm being obtuse, but you compare jacket hem to the crotch of the pants to what end? So that the top of the "vee" of the crotch lines up with the jacket hem? How do you account for differing fit in pants?

The shorter jacket is 29"; according to NMWA the Formosa is 30.3".

SB really feels strongly, though I'm also curious as to what he's seeing that seems to differ from what most others are seeing and commenting on.

I tend to agree Greg. Here's a thought that just occurred to me though: do we even know what Formosa's short would measure in a 48? Given that the difference between the 2 jackets is 1.3" or thereabouts, I'd venture if the Formosa short came in around, say 29.5" , that might just hit the sweet spot between the two lengths. If it was 29.5" or better, I might go with the short. 29" or thereabouts I'd probably stick w/ reg length.

The odds are shorts. Just look at my fingertips in relation to the bottom hem.

5. TweedyProf

Sorry what's the goal of this deliberation? If to keep or not, then keep. If to decide on the MTO well so long as short is between 29-30 inch then you are fine.

6. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

^ What he said.

7. TweedyProf

Sorry if that came across short. My point is that your choices are good ones.

8. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

whatever this is, looks best to me.

9. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

I know we briefly touched base on sunglasses but I just ordered 5 try ons from Warby Parker. I have driving sunglasses but they're not very stylish. Hoping one of these 5 look decent on my mug.

Thoughts? I may actually have to show my mug around here once I get them in.

[​IMG]

10. AJL

AJL Senior member

Switching it up now stitch; that's the short.

@jrd617 apparently you have switched it up too, again this is the short, so, no, obviously not too long. Perhaps I should have labelled the pics, but I thought it would have been obvious based on the overlong sleeves on the Formosa, as to which jacket was which. The patterns, I admit, appear similar.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  11. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Junglethug,
    I think we need to see the shape of your face in order to determine which one is best. My head/face is so fat that I can't just pick up whatever.

12. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

I don't want to break yo monitor. I'll probably maybe post some up once they come in.

13. in stitches

is it a 48 tho? i dont recall commenting on length before. just that the body of the 48 looked better to me.

14. AJL

AJL Senior member

The short is an Isaia, and it's a 50. I just wanted to post up a comparison for length, nothing more. Btw, Greg has informed me the Formosa short will run approx .7" shorter, so puts it right between the two lengths at about 29.6", maybe a good compromise. I assume the buttoning point would move up slightly, to keep the jacket balanced? Not a big deal.

15. in stitches

ah, i see. well disregard that last comment then. thats what i get for reading to fast. the 48 formosa that you posted up in i liked a lot.

Last edited: May 29, 2014