Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

@AJL

Can we get some better pictures? Taken at a normal angle with better lighting? :D

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Yes, brilliant idea. I can't believe no one has thought of that yet.

;)

3. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Stitchy, just because ur a mod doesn't mean I won't cut you!!!

HIYO!!!

4. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

OK, so what is the ideal camera position and angle? If you were setting up a tripod, how would you position it? Chest high and horizontal? Waist high and angled up? Something else?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Ac

5. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I suppose chest and horizontal gives the best results. Imagine how someone generally looks at you, I bet it's not from your hip height, unless you're unusually tall.

6. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

In that case wouldn't head height (viz., 'eye level') be best?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Ac

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  7. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Ha, yeah, I realised that as I was typing it. I suppose it also depends on the distance.

8. AJL

AJL Senior member

Try these

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A few additional notes: I'm noticing some pulling across the back of the shoulders and around the sleeve head (armscye?) when I move my arms/shoulders forward, in both sizes. Possibly not a deal breaker as I don't plan on playing sports in my SC, but not the ultimate in comfort and freedom of movement. Does this have something to do with a high and/or tight sleeve opening? I don't expect there's any "reasonable" alteration for this (?)

Also, as previously mentioned, the waist is a little snug, though possibly not apparent in pics. Is there a reason why letting out the side seams a touch would be a bad idea? I've done it before and didn't notice any issues with it.

Finally I notice the collar sits rather high. For reference, I'm wearing an Inglese shirt in the pics, and the back of the shirt collar is almost obscured by jacket (not sure if that's visible).

Ultimately I agree with what the consensus seems to be, that the 48 looks better pretty much all around.

9. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

I definitely wouldn't go with a MTO short, I like the length on both of those. As for the collar, that's about a $30 fix and a fairly common one. I think I will need to have it done on my new suit, but I will probably wear it a few times before I do. Some tailors call it "lowering the collar" while others say it is "shortening the back length"....same thing really. I would say the pulling from the movement you described is normal unless you are wearing a sack.

10. AJL

AJL Senior member

Not sure about the camera angle/lighting (other than it's less than ideal); hopefully good enough. It's not apparent I have a bro who's a pro cinematographer and former gaffer. Obviously didn't rub off.

11. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

is that your bro?
    [​IMG]

12. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Good thing this is brought to discussion as I've been meaning to ask about the particular matter. My tailor does this with almost every jacket to avoid the bunching at the back when lifting the arms forward.

What I'm wondering is: doesn't the procedure put off the front/back balance of the jacket if the length is being shortened at the back at the collar seam?

13. AJL

AJL Senior member

Thanks for the additional input Murl, very helpful.

@Claghorn- was hoping for some feedback from one of Noodle's GNAT's Jedi Masters of fit. O Claghorn, where art thou?

PS: how come no one wants to address the issue of letting out side seams? Is it a Nucaler (channeling GWB) topic? i mean, I could live with it as is, but having another 1/2" or so would have me breathing easier (literally). Or I could lose another 5 lbs, though I wouldn't go to Vegas on that.

14. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

When it comes to being slightly uncomfortable vs looking slightly not as good. Comfort comes first.

Both awesome. Especially the cotton one (I know, I'm surprised I'm saying that to). Seriously Beautiful. Also could probably stay as regarding the waist. Navy, give yourself a little more room.

I look at the arms and I think "a bit long." I look at the full body, and I think "that's good". A good example why that "should be able to cup your fingers below the jacket" rule isn't the most reliable. Hrmmmm....alright, they could be slightly shorter. My brain tells me different things depending on the picture. Navy looks long when viewed from the back. Light brown when viewed from the front.

15. AJL

AJL Senior member

Nah, he doesn't work literally "in the field". He's better dressed too.

Wish #12 was my bro, though. Gotta love that final score. At least Peyton's a good sport.