Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

If you'd like to own just one thing from Runinacci it would have to be the victory square. Exquisite trimmings is having a restock soon. Having said that, £80 for a hanky is on the pricey side.

Last edited: May 27, 2014

2. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Pocket squares that I saw over the weekend at Furrygamo. Didn't even bother looking at the price tag.
    [​IMG]

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Paging @DerekS.

What is your fave colorway for that square. I waffled a few times on it, never kopped tho.

4. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

5. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

6. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Thank you for the interview and all your replies in that thread. I've been wanting to know more about them ever since discovering their tumblr/Instagram/website, and I suspect many others feel the same way. Stuff like that is what makes this forum so great. The Rudals thread has also become by far my favourite thread, so thank you all for making that possible.

Btw, I ordered the hat and I'll post a pic when it arrives. Let's see if I can pull it off.

7. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I think the Noodles Thread has turned out to be a great helpful thread for a lot of people.
    I was just not ready to hang out in WAYWRN and my questions and comments annoyed the heck out of a lot of people before the Noodles Thread.
    I am very thankful to @Claghorn for creating this thread so that I can ask all the questions I want while saying all the dumb stuff that I say.

By the way, I believe this is what gave birth to the Noodles Thread.

[​IMG]

A $4,000 Isaia suit paired with that $200 Zegna tie (All returned for full refund "Thank the LAWD"). I knew not what I was doing. I am still learning though.

8. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Shoulda kept that suit for nighttime jogging. Or doing some self-reflecting. Har har... ok, off to find a tall bridge.

9. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I can never wait for the delivery these days, I'm down to the Fedex/UPS/DHL place as soon as I see it's cleared customs!

Agreed. As a fellow massive bonce, it's difficult, and I can't say I have any "proper" hats these days. But I toyed with a panama a few days ago, and it's a matter of proportion just like ties or lapels or buttoning points: I guess the thing is to just try a lot on and see what you like. I had a felt fedora about twenty years ago that I loved - quite a statement as a very young man. Kind of wish I'd kept it.

Apart from the price, I quite liked that suit. But yes, I'm glad you now have a place you can concentrate your annoyance. :)

10. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Uh...I hope there's nothing tall around you.

Boy, that could have been one crazy and costly mistake that I would have had to live with.
    I guess I just didn't know much about suits so I just thought buying something expensive would get me there. I believe Isaia makes fine suits but that suit just was ill-fitting and had way too much sheen on it. It was...Super 150 or above. I am sure it is a great suit for someone out there, but not for me.

11. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

[​IMG]

12. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Yeah, I like a lot of what Isaia does but I probably wouldn't keep a Super 150's from any maker in my regular rotation. I don't think those types of suits are meant to be worn weekly - they probably wrinkle easier and break down faster due to the fineness of the cloth.

I was in my local Neiman Marcus the other day and some saw pretty killer Isaia windowpane SC's, but at equally killer prices. Same goes for some Kiton stuff that looked and felt amazing. Ain't nobody got time for that.

13. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I've not gone back to the store ever since I ran out like a little girl after returning that Isaia suit because I feared they would change their mind. LOL

Yes, it was smooth like a <fill in the blank> but it just wrinkled very easily. I needed suits that I can wear on a weekly basis and that suit was perfectly the wrong choice, given the fabric type.

14. Jojo Lapin X

Jojo Lapin X Well-Known Member

Super 150 fabric wrinkles less easily than coarser stuff---in fact, in my experience it hardly wrinkles at all. Whether it breaks down faster depends on what you subject it to, of course. But wearing it to the office on a regular basis should not be a problem.

15. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Noodles, it's a British thing. When I'm mean to you it means we're friends so I don't have to pretend to be polite.