Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Don: it's light and summery, so I think you're right with that kind of odd jacket look: on a blue/navy jacket I'd pair it with a green or olive tie. On a grey, khaki, or cream jacket it would look great with a navy grenadine or shantung.

2. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Honestly, I own about 8-10 multicolored pocket squares mostly from Cappelli (think this in different combinations http://www.patriziocappelli.it/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=5&products_id=1564). While I love some of them and try to incorporate them into my clothing, I find them hard to combine and find myself grabbing simple pocket squares that are appropriate for TV-folds most of the times. But I guess you're right, I lack experience in this department. Thanks.

3. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Thanks for the tip. Never thought of green/olive. I will definitely give it a try if I end up purchasing it. Shantung... that's another department I've avoided. Decisions...

Last edited: May 25, 2014

4. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. AJL

AJL Senior member

I kopped that KW astrology number, and I agree w/ Clags as to its versatility ( in truth I've only worn it once, but I can easily see it working in other fits). All praise to the Noodles thread as a great resource and clearinghouse for useful sartorial notions.

6. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Shameless self-promotion:

If anyone wants to help me buy another Sartoria Partenopea suit, I've got some beautiful dub monks up for sale. Pics in sig. [​IMG]

7. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i like that square, don. i think with a navy jacket and no tie it would be great for a casual look. the right green tie might be good too.

i really like that square, clags (the wang one). its a shame i have not bought one yet.

8. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Thanks. I seldomly dress without tie, but I might as well try it sometime. This gives me s reason. I will probably purchase is and off load it if I can't manage to incorporate it into an outfit.

9. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

10. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

11. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've shied away from theKWs because they seem to me too small, would constantly drop down the pocket. 16 or 17 inch squares are my preferred. That said with small squares I usually in past have popped
    Another small one in the pocket at the bottom. Not ideal but works.

MF, on cotton-linen being more bulky. I'm surprised but of course depends on thickness of the fabric. My vintage silk PS are fairly thick but recent drakes are light and airy.

12. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

Depending on what the color is like in person, I could see it with a brown coat and grey or burgundy tie.

^ A lot of Kent's stuff is great, but I agree that his squares are too small. I find it difficult to play with the pattern.

13. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I suppose it depends on the mix. The one I had was 50/50, and it was impossible to use the foo fold, as it would bulge out of your pocket. Try to do it with a linen square to see the effect, it doesn't really work. The higher the cotton content/the lower the fabric weight, the more useful the hanky, as most linen squares only work with a nice TV fold.

14. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

15. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Thanks for the tip. I think I will go for it and do some experimentation.