1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Thanks, MF.

As a skinny guy, a somewhat higher than average button position is good for me (as is, for the same reason, a somewhat lower gorge than is current fashionable), so in that respect SS is more appropriate for me than it might be for others.

Still, there are other oddities about their sizing which make things difficult. For example, their short sizes tend to have larger shoulder and chest measurements than the corresponding regular size, if their “product dimensions” charts are to be believed.

Cheers,

Ac

1 person likes this.
  2. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Just buy these Rudals. They're cheap, they look great and they'll last you for at least a couple of years. I've had mine for 1,5 years now, and I've worn them to clubs at nights out, in the snow, while hiking in the desert of Morocco, hiking in the rain in the Scottish mountains, you name it.

They've held up great and they still look nice. Believe it or not, but they're some of my most complimented shoes, despite the fact that I have shoes that cost about 3-4 times as much. It's nice to have some shoes that are versatile, look great and are cheap enough that you don't have to worry about them getting ruined.

[​IMG]
    http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=4337

You can look at measurements all day long, but the only way you're going to find out whether something actually fits is by trying it on. Go to a store, or order one or two. They have free shipping/returns and they even pick them up for you, so it's not much of a hassle.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
    2 people like this.
  3. Kira

Kira Senior member

Okay, regarding that gentleman's jacket., I didn't mention the proportions because I knew they were fine. Still, I didn't like high the gorge was because it resembled those modernist cuts (yes, some designers did that in the past, but they were rare. See the "Tautz lapel"). Sure, my given opinion was hyperbolized, but that tie knot was too small to me. Perhaps a simple double FIH wouldn't fixed the problem. I never saw a button down collar look like that before.. it reminded me of a bird flapping its wings. I know I should've typed my observations in a less critical way, but being jejune about a piece of garment is simply asinine to me. I remember reading someone's rebuttal (his name escapes me) and it provided clarity. Anyways, I just wanted to explicate that and provide a mea culpa.

1. Like everyone in the classic menswear section, their best. Of course, the best dressed individuals know how to dress according to the situation. In my case, I usually dress in a odd jacket and trousers during my times of leisure. In college, I dress the same way (with no tie 3 out of the five days a week).

2. It's already arrived. Basically, I'm just getting any DB odd jacket that fits me. Notably, I wouldn't wear 'loud' colors like the green jacket that I posted everyday. Yes, they are dated, but let's be honest: these modern cuts designers are doing are going to be dated in 10-15 years as well. The only arguments that I read regarding the ones that I posted where that they were in an weird color and the cut of the lapels. In my case, these work for me because they fit me perfectly. Unfortunately, I don't have a device to support my claim, so it's ambiguous. I have more jackets in neutral colors in anything else because they are more versatile. It wouldn't make any sense to have an unbalance of those.

3. I really don't have a budget at this time. It isn't very much, so the online haberdasheries are out of the question. All of the jackets that I have are from the online auction sites? Why? Because there are a lot of hidden gems out there that many disregard as proletarian and low-class (yes, the probability of being a counterfeit is high but I don't specifically look for those couture brands). Besides, I basically have to renovate my dress pants and shoes wardrobe; so I'm not going to buy the flamboyant jackets anytime soon.

1. Most likely from the diction and syntax that I use.

2. I never had that intention at all. Behind the computer, it gives a pretense that I'm some haughty snob. De facto, I was just engaging in a conversation about color coordination and proportions (read my response to Claghorn for more details).

3. How can I say that? Remember, I stated that most of my dress pants are virtually unwearable, but I still have khakis in many colors. I bought that jacket because I have enough shirts and pants that I can coordinate with them with. Now, I wouldn't wear it more than once or twice a month, but I don't have to worry about buying more garments just to coordinate with that jacket. Despite being a more intense color, I wouldn't buy anything brighter than that.. So, any intense color is simply a no for me. I wouldn't want to risk having the jacket wear me instead of me wearing the jacket. Plus, I don't want to get noticed for the wrong reasons.

4. Yes, Grant is right one that.
    Yeah, the man is wearing low-rise trousers. Which in case, is not suitable for braces because they accentuates the man's stomach. I'm guessing that they were clip ons too? I see those on sale at Hot Topic..

4. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

I hate it how my curiosity always gets the better of me, but whenever I see "this post is hidden because the user is in your block list" I just have to click to see what's there. In this case, what I saw was actually quite amusing:

Pretentious...? Moi?

My dear Kira, I'm afraid it's already too late for that.

Have a nice day.

5. TM79

TM79 Senior member

No one who isn't some level of snob says "de facto" in a post on a clothing forum. And that's a fact(o).

3 people like this.
  6. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Carmina's are sexier. Just sayin. Also my most complemented shoes by far.

1 person likes this.
  7. Kira

Kira Senior member

I didn't know that there were logomachs here.

8. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Chance that @Kira is not a troll: 0%
    Chance that he actually owns the green and teal jackets he has posted: 0%
    Biggest indicator (apart from the content of his posts): his statement that he does not own a camera of any sort and cannot post pictures showing him wearing the green and teal double breasted jackets.

1 person likes this.
  9. Kira

Kira Senior member

Okay, this is getting ridiculous.

I'm not going to post myself wearing the jacket because I don't have a high quality phone. However, when I get the green jacket later this week, I will post that and the other jacket. Then, I will write "Kira" on a piece of paper then post it on here.

10. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

I wish I can buy buy SOMETHING but I just dropped about $700 on a dress and a coffee/latte/cappuccino maker...anf it is only the beginning. LML

Lol at Eliod! Dont click to unhide!!!

Note to Claghorn/Stitchie:
    Please take care of the non-sense in this thread...and no, not me.

11. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

noodles what have u been wearing to work? is your closet just one ill fitting RLBL now?

12. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Yeah, they are, but they're twice price. Seeing as Rudals is saving up for all of his Formosas and maybe SuitSupply suits, I thought it might be prudent to recommend something that doesn't break the bank. Besides, it's nice to have some 'beater' shoes that still look great.

1 person likes this.
  13. The Noodles

3 Zegna suits and 2 RLBL suits and one well fitting Samsung suit. Lol

I am definitely saving up for Formosas but with my inlaws in town and my wife shifting her focus to her wardrobe collection, I think I need a second job. Meh~ I'll just enjoy it. As long as she's happy .

1 person likes this.
  14. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

you bought more zegnas?

i thought u sold at least one of the rlbls?

15. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Kira messaged me. I don't know if he's a troll or not. He might just be really oblivious. I hope he's just really oblivious.

Kira, stop using big words1. You sound like an ass.

I'd say a large minority on this forum have graduate and professional degrees.
    I love language. I love words. I love etymology. I got a 170 on the GRE verbal, which should testify to the extent of my vocabulary.

Possessing a large vocabulary is fairly meaningless in real life. It is doubly so here. So knowledge of clothes and the ability to wear them is really the only thing that matters on SF

More on word choice:
    I follow Orwell's advice when it comes to the English language (I have a tremendous respect for that man's dedication to and obsession with the language itself). Rules II and V from Politics and the English Language:

Quote:
    Generally, I'll allow (II) to trump (V). So in the case of de facto, there really isn't a shorter way to convey that exact meaning/implication. And it's common enough that it really doesn't tread too heavily on (V)

1. note that I didn't say "enough with the verbosity"

On to clothing and hopefully (another) fresh start.

You gotta be more specific with what you want to look like and more realistic about your timeline. I suggest spending some time in this thread to try to understand your own tastes and to better allow you to communicate them.
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/381083/waywrn-composite-20-thumb-minimum/0_20

4 people like this.
  16. kulata

kulata Senior member

You assume people are reading his long posts and that minority here have advanced degrees. Anybody that is aware can figure out the intention of this thread and general style cues of the forum. Bottom line is, he comes across as a troll and if he's not then he should go into read only mode till he figures out the basics.

3 people like this.
  17. AJL

AJL Senior member

Emphatic yes to above. I picture this chap flipping through the thesaurus as he types, looking for obscure words to dazzle us with (and likely attempting to obscure the fact he knows less about clothing than he'd like us to believe). Troll? I don't think so. Just young, cocky and a bit full of himself. He's not here to learn, but to preach the gospel as he sees it; he comes to us fully formed with all the answers.

It rarely turns out well when someone comes barging in the door, blabbering away, without first taking the time to acquaint himself with the values and dynamic of the community he's descended upon. I believe this time is no exception (still time for reformation, but I had a bad feeling from the start, as I intimated in an IM exchange with Noodles).

1 person likes this.
  18. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

My guess is he is a young college kid full of bluster. We all (most?) were. The SAT is probably fresh enough in his mind that he doesn't need a thesaurus.

1 person likes this.
  19. The Noodles

Me no speak hard english words no good

20. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

De facto is much more common in English as an adjective than an adverb as Kira used it. There's pretty much always a better adverb than de facto. In Kira's case, "in reality" is much clearer and unobtrusive.

1 person likes this.