1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Senior member

Side adjusters are more functional. Belts do not have small increments like side adjusters do. Thus, if your're in between sizes, Side tabs/adjusters are better
    Plus, I've never followed the rule that belt color must match with shoe color so I don't need to even think about it the slightest when the belt is completely gone.

2. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Dunno about this. I cannot abide black belt with brown shoes or vice versa. OTOH slavish matching of exact colour and texture can come off a bit too try-hard.

Wearing pants with belt loops but no belt - well, I know a lot of people do this. Even some SF cognoscenti. To me however, it's definitely on the #armoury side. Possibly a bit too #menswear. Maybe even (dare I say it) slightly #hipster.

1 person likes this.
  3. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Noodles, you need to get a staple navy blazer. You'll be able to wear it with most of the odd trousers and ties you want to wear. You can also wear it for more casual fits that do not involve a tie.

1 person likes this.
  4. Kira

Kira Senior member

Just picked this one up. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Kira

Kira Senior member

Regarding navy blazers, 3 is a magic number (in my opinion).

6. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Why?

Don't like your green SC, looks very dated, IMO
    Also, DB and notch lapels don't go together...

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  7. Kira

Kira Senior member

Just in case if the others are being dry cleaned and pressed.

I know it looks dated, but I can pull it off.

Notch lapels? You must be looking at the wrong jacket..

8. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Well, they're sort of in between lapels then. ;)
    I'd like to see a fit pic of how you pull it off...

1 person likes this.
  9. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I suppose one plain wool, one flannel and one linen? It depends entirely on your needs and climate of course. One or two navy sportcoats should be enough for most people.

Agreed on the green sportcoat, the cut doesn't look very nice, and I can't see that shade of green being worn outside of the golf club. Bottle green or olive can be nice, but this is just meh. It might be better to stop buying all these coats in weird colours just because it's a good deal and save up for one or two versatile ones in a nice cut.

3 people like this.
  10. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i too am not a fran of the SC. very dated looking.

i only have one navy SC right now, in the process of adding a second.

11. Kira

Kira Senior member

Bottle green? Isn't that the same color that's on the Wimbledon and Masters jackets? With your other points, I agree. It's more of a novelty jacket per se.

I only paid $29.99 for the jacket, so it's a steal. I wouldn't pay any more than that.

12. Kira

Kira Senior member

I appreciate the criticism guys.

Where I live, no one knows the difference between a 'dated' jacket and a timeless one. I have never seen anyone wear a odd jacket and trousers. Seriously.

@in stitches , can't a skilled tailor reconstruct those lapels?

13. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

probably not, and im sure the cost would be prohibitive. :(

14. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

15. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

It's true that the layman cannot tell the difference, but each person is responsible for determining their own style. You have to determine if you want to be a dandy (and pursue the art of peacocking), or if you want to pursue the gentlemanly art of classical dress.

It's ok to want to be a dandy, but it is only something that can be done well once you know the rules of classical dress, and how the rules can be broken. Otherwise you risk looking clownish or a cosplay, instead of stylish. So proceed with caution @Kira

2 people like this.
  16. Kira

Kira Senior member

At this point, I'm pretty much getting any DB jacket that I like and fits me. I'll only wear them according to the situation. Regarding my newly purchased jacket, a casual party or school would be best.
    Eh, oh well.

17. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Get a suitsupply soho jacket. They're not terribly expensive, the cut is nice, the construction isn't bad at all and the colours are more versatile. I've picked this one up for just 99:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Kira

Kira Senior member

I find it possible to be both peacocking and looking stylish. The jacket can be worn simply by counterbalancing it with darker colors and a neutral colored trouser. The problem with many clueless novices is that they would wear pastel colors with the complete outfit. That is when you'll look like a clown. I've been reading scores of threads regarding everything: white dress shirts, odd trouser colors, the cuts of jackets, etc.

Nevertheless, I'll still take heed with your caveat.

19. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

20. Kira

Kira Senior member

Woah.... is that Lenin fabric?

You're right though, I need to get more versatile colors. Those are the ones I'm looking for the most. On the auction site, the DBs are 95% crap but it's where I found all of my jackets at. The most I paid for a jacket is around $60.

I never owned a 4 X 2 before. Those are really nice. I like the 2 X 1 jackets as well. I know that they are dated, but it's something that you don't see everyday (especially where I live).