Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

:uhoh:

2. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Light blue can work if the blue is very pale though I think I'd prefer pink.

3. TM79

TM79 Senior member

And pink might depend on the wearer's complexion.

4. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Agreed. I don't wear pink because it's close to being indistinguishable from my skin, so just not enough contrast for me.

Cheers,

Ac

5. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

If you have to. (But I don't think you do.)

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

give it time.

i left out the rest because i dont know what you meant and it seemed beyond the pale. for shame.

7. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Going back a few pages. I don't think this is the same tie in question but Gentlemens Footwear has a brown Cappelli showing that is nice?

[​IMG]

http://gentlemensfootwear.myshopify...cappelli-napoli-patterned-tie-in-brown-8-5-cm

8. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Thank you all for your comments. I might just kop the light grey suit and wear it with a black knit and black shoes, like SB suggested.

Cox, you can get that suit to work for you, but it'll be a $100+ tailoring bill. Might be better to either save up and go for SuSu MTM or look at different cuts/brands. There are lots of very nice suits for the price of 1.5 SuSu suit on ebay. Just make sure you know your size or that the seller accepts returns.

9. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Thanks, I appreciate the thought and effort. The purchaser (@Pbayvip ) of the tie came clean in the thread and suggested that I take the tie. I thanked him for the kind gesture but declined. He PM'ed me later and assured that I could take it if I wanted it as he could just pick another tie from Cappelli's inventory. So we solved it thanked to his polite gesture. A true gentleman. Just like you, trying to find a substitute. =)

10. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

No problem. Paying it forward as they say. :cheers:

11. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

Depending on the make of your car that's actually not too bad. Not saying it's cheap but labor in DC is expensive.

(Disclaimer on the following: I only know about auto maintenance on one particular rip-off type of car - BMWs - and haven't the slightest idea what stuff costs on other cars)
    Pads and rotors usually comes in at 2 labor units, which are each $90-110 depending on the shop - and there's usually a premium for bringing your own parts. Rotors are $60-100 a piece (and with most German cars at any rate they wear about the same as the pads...at a very minimum there's less than 10 minutes of additional labor to change these once you've got the pads off so it's a good idea to do so). Brake flush is usually 1-1.5 labor units plus fluid which is cheap. This to me is the only questionable part since it's really not that necessary. A synthetic change can easily be $100 depending on your oil capacity.

So....it sucks to blow a pair of C&J's on car maintenance but whatcha gonna do?

12. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Use public transportation.

Fuck, I'm not looking forward to driving again. Yeah, I spend close to two hours a day on public transpo here in Seoul, but they're generally productive. I get a good hour of SF and a good hour of work on my iPad done. Can't do that in while stuck in traffic. Well, probably shouldn't.

13. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

they've got wifi in the subway in Korea? Nice

14. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yup. The subway has wifi, as well as cell phone....beacons, I guess?....so that service is never dropped.

15. TM79

TM79 Senior member

LTE Repeaters - at least that's the term I've heard used in Boston. No WiFi for us but who cares... you're never on the train for that long so it shouldn't cut into the data plan very much. I chose 4 GB per month for my phone and don't even use half of it.

I sort of like the repeaters and sort of hate them. Now the dolts can continue yammering on their phones underground whereas before, public transportation etiquette happened via dropped calls. So I invested in noise canceling earbuds. At least now all I do is see some dumb mouth flapping away but music I like is playing over it.

/subway rant
    //coulda gone on forever about this topic