1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. AJL

AJL Senior member

Really. What is this, Twit & Twat, show up on different threads and start bickering?

2 people like this.
  2. Kira

Kira Senior member

@in stitches

Oh okay. Teal is a color that can't be used a lot of versatility, but I can pull it off with the right colors. So, I understand your post.

By the way, I'm not a troll. I don't know everything about menswear, so that's why I ask questions so I won't look like I don't know what the hell I'm doing. Guess what? I used to wear a brown blazer, black dress shirt, black square toed shoes, and pinstripe pants! Yes, I wore this..

Thanks to StyleForum, I will never make that same mistake.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  3. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

I think I had crappy suits to start with and these crappy features on the suits were accentuated by my weight gain.

4. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I was about to comment that the good natured portion of this thread was about to be put to the test, but then Stitchie put his foot down.

1 person likes this.
  5. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Senior member

Yes, sorry about that.

6. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

1. thanks for being cool, guys. glad errone is playing nice.

2. teal itself is not a bad color, though i would never use it for a jacket i dont think. also, the whole design of the jacket just looks very dated. in any case, its all about how you wear it in the end, but its not something i would shoot for personally.

7. Kira

Kira Senior member

@in stitches Probably because:

1. It's teal-- a color that isn't recommended in classic menswear.

2. The lapels aren't very peaked.

3. The cuffs only have two buttons

4. The gold buttons

2, 3, and 4 can be fixed for probably $100+, but it's nonsensical to do this because of the color and no one cares around here. Since I go to college, I can bend the rules and essentially wear any color I want. I wouldn't wear the garish colors though.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  8. kulata

kulata Senior member

Stopped by suitsupply yesterday, one of my friends was shopping for a suit so I decided to try some on. Don't know how they do it but their jackets fit well off the rack.

La Spalla 54
    [​IMG]

Madison 52
    [​IMG]

I'll probably go back and pick up a Madison.

2 people like this.
  9. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am envious of y'all's access to Suit Supply.

10. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

The natural shoulders work well on you. Try the Lazio as well if you have the chance, it's my favourite cut from their regular collection.

11. kulata

kulata Senior member

You are moving back to TX right? They have stores in Houston and Austin, and about to open one in Dallas.

@Monkeyface Don't think I like the Lazio, It's a little narrow in the shoulders.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  12. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

The Madison looks oddly puffy in the upper-arm/chest area.

13. kulata

kulata Senior member

I think that's just due to the linen fabric. It looked clean but I'll check it again before I buy it.

14. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

They both look oddly puffy in the upper arm/chest area, but this is (I strongly suspect) an optical distortion from the photography. Clues to support this include the fact that both jackets look too long, whereas we know for a fact that SS cuts most of its jackets on the short side; and the shape of the mirror frame in both shots.

The suits should be photographed again from waist height with a longer lens (or zoomed iPhone). Aim to have the mirror frames looking roughly rectangular rather than the regular parallelogram in the above shots. Then we can get a better idea. Selfies won't cut it here.

Kulata, the second (Madison) fabric suits your complexion much better than the first. The shoulders also drape better to your frame. But the sleeves of both jackets are too long, which could cause problems with the functional buttons if significant shortening is required.

15. kulata

kulata Senior member

I prefer longer sleeves and showing very little cuff. I'll take like 0.25 inches from the sleeves on the Madison and it won't affect the functional button hole placement (I am not buying the La Spalla). But to my surprise EU54 la spalla is 31.25 inches from bottom of the collar to the bottom of the jacket (0.25 inches longer than what I prefer) and come to think of it, the puffiness may be attributed to a draped chest and SS mimicking Neapolitan sleeve treatment :D (puffy sleeve head) like this dude

Angelo Blasi (??)
    [​IMG]

16. The Noodles

@kulata
    I love that grey La Spalla...errr....hor it fits, i mean.

1 person likes this.
  17. kulata

kulata Senior member

Buy it noodles. You know you want to ;-)

18. The Noodles

Eventually, I will end up getting it. Lol. Did u pull the trigger on any at SS?

19. kulata

kulata Senior member

1 person likes this.
  20. The Noodles

By the way, thanks for posting sloped vs structured shoulders side by side.

I love wide peak lapels but it seems really weird on a single breasted suit.

2 people like this.