Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

I agree with you that my chestnut shoes also ages better than my brown calf in term of color. Great looking shoes btw, both the Lowndes and Selbourne.
    The fact that the "thing" generating the funny feeling is depicted in the medallion might have something to do with it.. :)

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i like that tie, clags, and i think it would be great with your lighter than navy wrinkly suit. im sure you will find the right shirt, perhaps white or just the right blue. you have enough ties in your arsenal to kop one that you love even if its use will be limited.

3. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's all about proportion. For example, this is a 3.5 inch lapel on me:

[​IMG]

Also. PSA:

DonRaphael will offer beautiful ties for sale, and when you message him, he'll decide to keep it for some silly reason along the lines of "I was going to get the same in a wider width, but Cappelli said they were out of the fabric." Can you believe the gumption!? Major. Tease. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2014

4. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

thats hilarious!

5. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Thanks for the helpful comments everyone. For what it's worth, you've convinced me to go with the wide lapel option this time.

6. Claghorn

Quote:
    So I'll get 0520. Can you guys recommend a tobacco brownish for the same concept? Which one if so? Also a flannel F/W equivalent?

Thanks!!
    From a PM, but I thought it could be used here. L2B is looking to pick up some fabric from Hardy Minnis. Alright, Thread, do your thang.
    https://shop.hfwltd.com/

For your lightweight: Chelsea 102735
    [​IMG]

I have the same in blue, waiting to be made up. Very lightweight (280g)

For your F/W: Flannel 0341
    [​IMG]

7. kulata

kulata Senior member

What's the width of the widest point of that tie?

8. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

I really like that suit and the suggestions are pretty small ones. I think you'll get good wear out of that one and the next one will be nearly perfect for ya. Let us know if you do pull the trigger.

9. Claghorn

3.75. It's the widest I'll go. I generally prefer 3.25-3.5, but the nice thing about having as many ties as I have is that you can afford to have a few a bit outside your preferred range. In the case of that tie, I'm definitely glad it's wide. It expands far satisfyingly after the knot. However, it's certainly not something I could wear with anything with smaller lapels (I have many lapels which are 3 inches). I originally bought it to be worn with my double breasted jacket.

10. kulata

kulata Senior member

I like the tie and wide ties in general.

I love what I have seen on liverano with his 4.5 inch plus ties wider than his lapels

[​IMG]

The most important question is, where to Kop? Need a red tie with visual interest with enough personality to match 4q lapels

PS: Wide ties isn't for everybody. I just have a preference for bold styling

11. Claghorn

A little known company. Doubt you heard of it. Kind of picking up some press on the indie scene, though I hope they don't sell out. Brooks Brothers.

12. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i dont think i own any ties wider than than 3.5, maybe 3.6, but nothing 3.75.

13. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I have a 4 inch cashmere tie that I wear with DB suits/jackets, but most are between 3.25 and 3.5. I prefer the 3.5 inch ties, but 3.25 is much easier to find at the moment.

14. selvedge8tweed

selvedge8tweed Active Member

If I may, adding to the discussion

1. No one has mentioned sleeve pitch yet, as you're getting bunching on the back arm (tricep).
    2. I think gorge height is fine. I like to draw a line from the point of the gorge so that it hits the tie knot. Why go higher?
    3. Don't mess with arm holes as that can be perilous. If it's comfortable, leave it. Is your movement restricted (lifting arms, etc.)?
    4. On the bunching, I thought you would want to shorten the back rise, as if you detach the waistband from the pants and then pull the back panel up. If you hike up the back of the pants, it might very well straighten out...you might get away with using suspenders then. Try it as a test.
    5. Waist is fine. You could drop another inch, but it's not suit supply/j crew high.
    6. Many things are quite good though for a first MTM. Shoulders look good, back is fairly clean. Quarters nice. I'm not sure what you mean by balance. Front/Back? That looks ok. Is it catching over your right hip in the back?

15. kulata

kulata Senior member

- It's the uneven shoulders (Lower right shoulder) causing the bunching. If it's sleeve pitch you will notice pulling near the armpit from the front