1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Jamesgatz

Jamesgatz Senior member

I'm not an American, but I'm taken aback to hear that some don't consider Texas to be South - for reasons SB mentioned. Is it cultural differences?

2. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

He might have had a bad day at work. I try to be gracious about stuff like that. On the other hand, he's got one job while being there, and that's tending to whatever the customer wants. If they haven't got what's requested, he should just say so in a polite manner.

I don't expect SA's to know what's SF approved. I do expect them to be, if not super nice, at least civil. In the best of all possible worlds, they should also have some knowledge about what a conservatively cut suit looks like if they're going to be working in the suit department.

1 person likes this.
  3. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

^ This. For most outside of the US, Texas is the very epitome of the south.

4. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Either way, it's an awesome state. I've taken a road trip from Miami to LA, and I distinctly remember how nice people in Texas were. Having said that, people in small towns were especially nice, no matter the state, and in bigger cities it depended mostly on what part you were in.

I'd choose most major American cities over London, not just for the cost of living, but mostly because of how nice the people are. People in London aren't very nice in general, and the cost of living is outrageous, even in comparison to NYC or SF. $1700/month is the absolute minimum for a shitty apartment with flatmates in a somewhat safe area. I'd like to live on my own, but that'll cost me upwards of $3500/month, with a longer commute to work.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

6. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Quote: Quote: Quote: Quote:

7. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

You know the South doesn't really have cowboys, right? That's West.

2 people like this.
  8. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

But they do wear cowboy boots!

9. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

...now we will segway ourselves into talking about boots...:rimshot:

And I love it when the Dallas Cowboyws choke in December. Romo is the main culprit.

10. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

People in the south wear cowboy boots? I bet there are more cowboy boots in Brooklyn than in North Carolina.

2 people like this.
  11. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I saw my fair share of them, but it's probably that I remember those because they stood out. I suppose as a percentage of the overall population it's not much at all, and the more west you go the more you see them. Anyway, I've always liked the look of cowboy boots with a tan cotton suit.

12. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Texas has wanted to be their own country, and I fully encourage both them and Florida to do so. The US filled its mutant quota a really long time ago.

13. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

The great state of Maryland lies below the Mason-Dixon line, or maybe it runs through the state, I am not sure. In any case, does that mean I can say that I live in the south?

14. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

Technically, yes. But it surely isn't Mississippi.

I had dinner with a family friend recently who was born in Philly but raised in LA. It was around the early 60s when he was in high school and his class embarked on a 70 day camping trip through the south. A few of the 20 boys on the trip were Jewish, including him, and one was African American (a boy who lived next door to Nat King Cole and, as such, was the richest of the bunch by a long way; the son of a surgeon). To say it was a misguided adventure would be an understatement. Harrowing is how I would describe it. They took a northern route home.

1 person likes this.
  15. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

FTFY.

1 person likes this.
  16. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

[​IMG]

Since we're just all over the map...oh wait, the above gif is just classic...anyways, do we have any coffee fanatics here?
    I have to purchase a coffee maker for the coffee fanatic at my house. The below is her favorite choice, Nespresso. Anyone?
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. TM79

TM79 Senior member

I think all the k-cup/pod type coffee makers produce really shitty tasting coffee. I wouldn't touch any of them.

You can make yourself a way better cup using a $30 Aeropress.

4 people like this.
  18. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

It's much more involved than one of those fully automatic jobs, but I have always loved these:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Yeah, and I guess it depends what type of coffee she loves.

I mean, some people are coffee "snobs" in that they buy high quality and higher cost whole bean coffee and go from there. Other people are just big coffee drinkers and Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks does the trick. I'm somewhere in the middle.

So if she's not too fussy about what type of coffee, Aeropress and some of the other stuff where you do it by hand might not be necessary.

That said... those pods really do suck lol. I think it's because of the brewing and sealing process to get it into pod form. They all come off as being watery with a burnt, over-roasted taste to me.

1 person likes this.
  20. europrep

europrep Senior member

We are loaners Stitch. Up in Boston, all my friends consider me a southerner, but while I was living in SC, they all considered me a Yankee. I think that is why so many people born and raised in the Baltimore area end up living there all their lives. That and the crabs are good.