Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. selvedge8tweed

selvedge8tweed Active Member

In fairness to Cappelli, that looks exactly 3.55 inches (3 and 9/16). But water under bridge I take it so long as you are back on good terms with him.

You can use a double four in hand to increase the size of the knot a touch. I do this often with wimpy knots, so long as there is enough length in the tie.

2. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

The colours really explode [​IMG]

3. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Alternative solution: ask him to decrease the difference in width between the blade and knot areas so that the knot is taller.

4. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Hmm... I'm not so sure I agree unless you were half-joking with him. He only replied to answer someone else who asked why a certain tie was no longer on the website.

At any rate, that's frustrating. Ties don't cost much - if you tell someone you'll do a 24 or 48 hour hold you really should honor that as a businessman. Otherwise just say it's first come, first serve and don't set someone up to be frustrated later. Bad form.

5. Christopher Essex

Christopher Essex Senior member

Question for you - is it a specific requirement in your company that you wear suits? Is it possible that is meant to mean jacket and tie, or does it specifically refer to trousers and jacket in the same fabric/pattern?

Have you ever seen anyone in your office wear an odd jacket and trousers?

Or, is it just that you don't like that combination?

6. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

suits only. rarely odd jackets have i seen

7. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Like yoda now we talk, hmm? [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2014

8. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

9. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I am frequently half-joking. Sometimes full-joking. Other times being a dick. This time I'm not sure, probably one of them.

10. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

typing with one hand i was while sandwich eating I was

11. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

So pink is to brown what Helen of Troy was to Menelaus? I did not know about the former love story. Thank you for that lecture. Given that I'm as flexible as a refrigerator when it comes to PS' (white linen 99,5 % of the time) I was not thinking in those terms. Appreciate the tip.

Looks great! I will be considering it if I don't purchase the tie Patrizio presented to me since it also has pink dashes in it. Thanks for the picture.

To be honest, the tie seems pretty spot on. And as others have said, a standard deviation of 1,4 % is in the realm of human error. I confirm that Sam Hober's genadines ties great FIH. I use FIH exclusively, but I find that Cappelli also ties great FIH knots. I guess to each his own. =)

I agree with you. But to Patrizio's defense, he was in the process of removing it when someone copped it.
    And yes, I was merely answering another member to advice him to stop searching as it was out of stock. Or at least that was what I thought after talking to Patrizio.
    It's all good though, I'm not mad. Lesson learned.

12. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

How things fly by on this thread. I'm missing the pics now. I thought everything looked nice. Maybe a hair short in sleeve length but thats preference. It seemed to be a roomier cut so if thats what you wanted than it looked good. Maybe the chest had a little extra room in it if anything.

13. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Thanks, JR. I took them down because I thought they came out too dark for anyone to offer any meaningful suggestions. I may persuade my seven year old to take some outdoor pictures tomorrow morning before work as her pictures usually turn out better than her mother's . . .[​IMG]

Agree on sleeve length. The chest is always tricky for me as I frequently end up with collar gap and/or lapels bowing. I tend to go a little fuller in the chest to avoid either scenario and then have the jacket taken in at the back seams. Despos once told me bespoke was the only way to address the disparity between my chest and back size.

14. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Look forward to seeing your pix in natural light setting.
    @New Shoes1

15. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Cross post from WAYWRN cf.

- fat lapels for fat head proportions
    - dark navy suit, brown tie
    - non-black shoes with navy suit (oxblood in this case, looks dark brown in indoor light)

[​IMG]