Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Sorry man, I hear you; I'd be really annoyed too. But there will be other ties...a lot of other ties. You are now justified in getting two to ease the pain.

Last edited: May 20, 2014

2. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Yeah. Only, you can't be annoyed when talking to Patrizio. He's such a gentleman. He sent me pictures of the tie Mr. Six displayed in below post. It does feature a warmer/deeper brown, which may be more versatile after all. The tie is more beautiful in the pictures I received by mr. Patrizio but the lighter flowers seems to be more pink-like than white. Decisions, decisions...

As I said above, the tie is even more beautiful in the pictures I've received from mr. Patrizio, but the lighter flowers seems more like pink than white (which I thought they were when looking at the website picture).

EDIT: my fear being how to match the pink to an outfit as I've never owned any item in pink.

3. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

^ Interesting. I wonder if the pink was a result of the camera or other colors nearby when the other photos were taken. I won't be disappointed if the lighter flowers are a bit pink, but I was expecting more of an ecru. I'll report back when I have it in hand!

4. selvedge8tweed

selvedge8tweed Active Member

Can I get opinions on ties such as the following?

[​IMG]

This is a Drake's from NMWA. Similar in density of ornaments as the brown ties posted above. Neats best for suits, I take it, but if one were to wear them with SCs, should one go for less density, like this one (also Drake's NMWA)?

[​IMG]

Or if you've decided to bend the neats/suit convention, what does it matter?

Sorry: pictures of these or similar with SCs would be helpful. I find pictures of ties alone make it difficult to imagine pairings.

5. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Doh!
    n00b is me. [​IMG]

Yes, I do not like the medallions.

[​IMG]

6. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Mr. Patrizio just confirmed that it's pink.

Question being, how would one (you) match/wear something with pink in it (together with brown and blue). Whit what do you intent to pair it? As I said before, I've never used anything with pink in it.

EDIT: Forget it. This seems to be another tie. Anyways, my question stands about combining it.

7. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

I do think it matters - I sometimes wear neats with bigger patterns with SCs, but never the micro patterns. Here's what I'm wearing today (I'd consider this tie pattern on the larger side):

[​IMG]

8. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Wow, I guess Cappelli ties are very popular. Too bad I ticked him off by complaining that his 3.55" was actually 3.6" and I wanted to return it.

9. selvedge8tweed

Thanks Unbelgarrazo. That fit is really nicely done on all fronts!

Yes, my inclination was for larger patterns. This is really helpful to see IRL.

Is that a Cappelli?

10. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Cappelli ties are boss. So is mr. Patrizio.

I find myself owning mostly Cappellis, Hobers and A. Quaranta Locatelli ties. They are by far my favorite ties. Some Marinellas, but they do not get nearly as much wear as the first three makers. A.Q.L. are really sprezzy. Crazy smooth silk. They wear like clouds almost.

Sam Hobers for grenadines.
    A.Q.L. for sprezz.
    Cappelli for everything else/in general.

11. selvedge8tweed

I'm sorry Rudals, if I may, but 3.55 rounded up by convention is 3.6 (as you must be aware). Surely 0.05 inches is within cutting allowances for any tailor?

But I'm sorry to wade in business that isn't mine.

12. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

A dash of pink, like that, will only enhance any look and be imperceptible to most. Brown and pink :in love: The pink, don't forget, may make the brown look richer.

Gives you a bit of licence to marry up a PS and be more versatile on the whole.

Go for that DR :nodding:

13. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

14. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Just messing with you, Rudals. You learned something new today...mission accomplished.

15. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Cappelli was frustrated with me as I was frustrated at him over 1/2". My favorite is Sam Hober grenade ties (6 folds). They make the BEST solid 4IH knots.

Naw, it's all good. The tie that I got, and now Coxsackie should be getting, was just not to my liking for couple of reasons. It was just too fat to complement my narrow jacket lapels. So it looked funny. Also, I am a 4IH guy and the tie looked really funny with a tiny knot and a big fat blade. Things were just not proportional. Next time I order, I will go with 3.35".

[​IMG]