1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. DeSense

DeSense Distinguished Member

Noodles, if that's the total length of your best fitting belt, assuming this means 3rd = middle hole and not the narrowest/shortest, then your waist size is not 30/31, but more like 34.
    For Pete's (and jrd's sake), get yourself measured!

2. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Distinguished Member

^ "No brown and black rule".

"Blue and green should never be seen, without another colour in between."

Navy and black = FAIL

Pink and red.

Whatever.

These supposed colour clashes (with the possible exception of the last one, which is truly horrendous, creating viciously escalating neural re-entrant circuses at brainstem level and quite possibly leading, upon prolonged exposure, to epilepsy, hysteria, apoplexy and left-leaning political views) are a crock. They number among the most pissant of all style directives.

I say, go for it. Break those colour rules. Rock the brown tie with the dark navy suit. Crash through, or crash. Gloriously.

Last edited: May 20, 2014

3. Cleav

Cleav Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored Moderator

MF, oh definitely try this. Often, for me the darker the blue suit it becomes imperative to wear a 'real' blue shirt to emphasise that the suit is actually blue and not black. The brown tie will sing!

A pale blue, ecru, ivory, cream, white with stripe can turn a dark blue darker and wash me out. 0.02

4. jssdc

jssdc Senior Member

The movers that I have been talking to (I'm moving to the Middle East in the summer, so my stuff will be on a 40-foot container and then sitting in customs for a while) have quoted for wrapping in plastic (basically like dry cleaners do) and using the functional equivalent of the "Port-o-robe" (it wasn't branded as such but I imagine the same thing). Like Eliod said, I'm anticipating a fair amount of ironing no matter what. I take the point about the potential for mold to develop while in transit when using plastic, but without that it seems like they're apt to absorb all of the lovely smells of a 7,000 mile sea journey and the Dubai ports authority.

5. Rudals

Rudals Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

6. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Distinguished Member

Thank you Cleav. I have a pale complexion, grey eyes and brown hair, so very dark colours tend to wash me out as well. Luckily, I have some more saturated blue shirts, so I'll give that a try!

7. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Distinguished Member

I'm pretty sure I grabbed the last one (5-fold). Sorry about that.

Purchased it together with http://www.patriziocappelli.it/catalog/images/Twill-silk-ZZE3.jpg (the same tie as Conrad Wu stocks, but since I'm not fond of 8cm ties I went with Cappelli's version).

8. Rudals

Gentlemen,

I come to you with a legitimate inquiry.
    Given my current situation, I would like to hear your thoughts on what I should do.
    (1) I wear different shades of navy blue to blue suits.
    (2) Contrary to what many have said, I do not have to dress conservatively. The only requirement is that I wear a suit. That is it.

My question is why the brown Hallam would be a better choice for me rather than a Westbourne.
    JRD mentioned that the Westbourne would be too light for my suits. Is this true?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I believe the Westbourne would go fine with the below suits. No?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior Member

Wearing light colored shoes with dark suits presents a strong contrast that certainly isn't CBD, but more than that can be a bit jarring. Some like the effect of light brown shoes against a navy suit (I've seen Stichie do it before), others hate the look as the shoes are considered more in the casual spectrum than a dark worsted suit, and therefore presents a bit of incongruity in terms of formality.

My personal opinion is that it can look good with a more casual and lighter colored suit, but I prefer to not see it with a darker suit. YMMV etc . .

10. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

11. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Yes, it would. In isolation I even prefer it. But it would be less formal. Whether that matters a damn is entirely your business. With something that is clearly intended to be a business suit, I'd tend towards the darker shoe. With a blazer and chinos, or a lighter blue suit, or something with a fun pattern, or a rakishly disordered tie and jaunty panama, I'd go with the lighter one. That doesn't mean the lighter one is wrong. I'd like it better with the Formosa, that's already a notch less businessy because of the windowpane.

Anyway, buy both and see.

12. jssdc

jssdc Senior Member

Rudals,

I own shoes in both colors. They both work with navy suits but the chestnut shoes stand out more - which doesn't make them bad but does make them less versatile. For example, my chestnut shoes I don't wear with dark navy, but my dark brown with anything.

I think they may be a bit too light for the first suit you posted (assuming the colors are accurate in the photo) but would look great with the Formosa.

13. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Distinguished Member

I own both shoes. I also own s couple of navy suits in the shades of the above. I defenitely prefer pairing the suits with the Hallam over the Westbourne. The latter is one of my favorites, but it's little to light red to use with navy suits, imo. I'm actually in the process of burnishing the Westbourne with black saphir products to make it darker. Westbourne is best paired with greys and some shades of tan, again imo. I believe the perfect (lighter) matches with navy suits are Vass' Antique Cognac and Carmina's Vegano Marron. My absolute favorite is the former.

14. Rudals

Thank you all [​IMG]
    Brown Hallam it is.
    I just need to order them from C & J website and not from my local store.
    Bummer.

15. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Distinguished Member

Here are some pics with a brown tie. I think I prefer it over navy, as it makes the suit less severe and brings out some of the blue.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]