Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i have 3. they tie perfect knots.

2. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Nice, I'm looking to get something from Belvest soon. I hate eBay, but might have to go that route.

3. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I agree with this. The Shibumi I posted is a beautiful tie, but expensive at $128 USD when considering I can get a Hober made to my specifications for $40 less. I also prefer the knot my Hobers tie as the Shibumi is very thin.

4. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Minus not knowing about the knot, this is exactly why I haven't bought from them yet. They are beautiful ties though and they seem like cool people.

5. in stitches

yup. awesome ties, but they dont knot on the hober level.

6. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

I now seem to have about a million ties. Maybe more. Some are old ones from my pre-SF "dark ages" which I'm finding hard to part with. Others are early mistakes. A few are genuinely good...

Happy with just about all my Henry Carter acquisitions; lately have picked up a few Paolo Albizzatis which are very nice - not a brand I ever see mentioned here, but our local menswear store Henry Bucks is full of them. Just snaffled Noodles' unloved Capelli and looking forward to receiving it. In my sights now would be one of those Conrad Wu or Shibumi shantung repps, although this will be some time off when cashflow allows. I've even emailed Mr Cerutti and received a great big folder-full of digital swatches, but that's another project for the medium future.

Rather than give away all the also-rans to charity, I might just hang on to them for a while longer and see if I can sneak them into some SF fits to gauge the response.

Occasionally I read posts on this site along the lines of "just bought a tie. I now have ten ties!" and think to myself, is there something wrong with me? Seriously, I must have at least 50 ties. And that's after I threw away a dozen or so of the most egregious ones.

7. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

50 =/= million

120 = million

I recently peaked at about 120 before giving away 40 or so to various people. Sitting pretty at about 80, which is, I think, a good number. I'll probably allow it to grow to 100 over the next few years. At least 60 of those ties are from SF Family. I'm a big fan of keeping money in the community. I think I have a few from Drakes (some which were bought from SF Family), SFA, RL, Borrelli, Tom Ford, Thomas Pink (pre-SF), Hugo Boss (pre-SF).

Last edited: May 15, 2014

8. conradwu

conradwu Affiliate Vendor

Shantung is a densely woven fabric hence the slightly larger than average knots. I recently switched my lining a lighter, softer one just to balance this out. Had no idea Shibumibros offered shantung but it looks as if theirs are made with an really thin lining (I thought it was unlined at first), that or they prefer tie extra tight knots.

9. Sotiris

Sotiris Senior member

If you wear a tie at least 3-5 times a week I think 50 is the minimum of what you should have. 75-100 is more reasonable, especially once you start factoring seasonal specific ties (colors and textures).

10. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

[​IMG]

By coincidence, I picked this out this morning and was just thinking I need more Conrad Wu shantungs in my life.

Yes, they are thick, and yes, they tie beautifully. The single FIH has a lovely shape with this tie, although I wanted a symmetrical knot today for psychological seriousness, so this one's a Pratt/Shelby. Sorry for the poor light, but you get the point. This is an awesome tie, and there's no better value.

11. Pbayvip

Pbayvip Senior member

I think I have reached 100 ties two years ago approximately… a little scared to count again :)
    Things are only going to get worse after discovering the likes of vanda, cappelli, shibumi….so big thanks to everybody in this thread :)
    I wear ties 4-5 times a week.

12. conradwu

On behalf of all SF neckwear affiliate vendors: A man can never have too many ties.

13. in stitches

I am not sure how many ties I have in total, but I have about 50 or 60 that I like and that I wear. I always want more but I think that I'm satisfied with the amount that I have.

Need to pick up some stripes tho. Soon.

14. Pbayvip

Pbayvip Senior member

Even if he hides three new ties in the garage, waiting for the right moment to smuggle them into the wardrobe closet, hoping that his girlfriend won't notice?

:)

15. conradwu

If your gf finds it unreasonable for you to buy 3 ties then you needa put that bish in her place.

Jk treat her well and get her a Chanel bag so she won't complain when she discovers you with 3 or 300 ties