1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Here's a knottery knit close up. This is the zig zag weave, but I'm assuming the other ones will be relatively open as well. It ties a nice knot and the length is great, but what I like most is the 3" width. They're pretty cheap at ±$30, and I think they still have a fathers day promo code as well. I'll post a pic of the wider pointed end ones when they arrive.

EDIT: DADJEANS for 15% of until the 15th.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

So you finally got them? WHere are they made? Silk? Tell me more now that you have one in hand!

3. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

This is an old one, but the other ones should arrive tomorrow. No idea where they're made, but the silk looks nice, they tie a nice knot and they're cheap.

I don't like spending much for knits, as I'd rather have a lightweight grenadine for the money some of the more expensive knits go for. Knits are casual ties for me, so I don't mind it as much if they happen to get dirty or stained.

4. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

first off, fuck you and anyone else who calls my shoes elf shoes.

back to business. while i have seen plenty of fits here with AEs that look nice, i have never in my life seen a pair in person and thought to myself, "oh id like to own those." so why in the hell would i buy at least one pair? as well, i have other less aggressive lasts than my GGs, no need to buy a shoe that i know i wont like just to have something different in my closet.

long story short, you made me so mad with that post and i bet you did it on purpose. damn you to hell, you cheap hoofed bastard!!!!!

again, nothing against people who have and enjoy AE, i just personally cant get behind them, and i resent your suggestion that i buy i pair.

4 people like this.
  5. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

2 people like this.
  6. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

elf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. in stitches

ok bro, whatever you say.

8. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

I used to have three pairs of AE and now I have one pair I'm trying to sell....black Cliftons anyone? They are decent shoes for the prices, but I'm not crazy about the lasts either. I would rather pay an extra $100 for Carmina or even less for Meermin (even with their imperfections). Also, AE quality today is nowhere near what it was 3-4 years ago.

1 person likes this.
  9. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

E's generally are about as boring as one can get. Which is in part why I like them. My C&J's (I now have two!) are a little too exciting for me. As are my Meermins (well, the double monk. The cordovan split toe is plenty boring for me)

10. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

I don't get it though, Clags. Even though you wear a lot of grey and blue, your fits are nowhere near boring. They deserve shoes that are not boring!

11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I've been replacing my AE's with Carmina as well. The only AE's I still have in my rotation are a pair of chukka boots, brown shell loafers and walnut Strands.

1 person likes this.
  12. mimo

mimo Senior member

The great thing about AE is that they are available from the outlet from $99. If you want a serviceable GY shoe for little money, pretty much all are available sub $200 at some point. I even got some cordovan NSTs that are surprisingly elegant on the ugly AE last - something about the style - for $249 in last summer's sale. There are plenty of cordovan AEs around for $399 at any time. Those numbers make perfect sense if you're either building a collection on a limited budget, or padding out the good stuff with some knockabout beaters.

The other great thing about AE is that they have such a massive range of sizes, even if you're a non-standard size, every half size and width is available even on the discount site, in a massive array of models.

But paying full price for AE is madness - firstly because cut price is so easily available, and secondly because there's just so much more around for that money. $350 buys much more stylish mid-range English makers on sale, for example. And even $200 is a standard Meermin, which although flaky on QC and delivery times, has better leather and prettier lasts.

Anyway, each to his own. I have several AEs and I wear them happily. I might add a pair or two at some point if they fill the right gap at the right price. But if I ever catch you walking into a shop and paying $350 for their standard models, I will poke your eyes out with a shoe horn as you clearly are not using them.

2 people like this.
  13. in stitches

clags has a boanr for boaring. and he hates spending $ on shoes.

2 people like this.
  14. Claghorn

I've spent close to a 1000 once! But yeah, cap me at around 450 for shoes in generally, preferably high 300s.

One of the few pictures where you can actually see the shoes I'm wearing:

[​IMG]
    Dunno...Park Ave's just do it for me. I suppose someone has to like them.

2 people like this.
  15. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Within the list of dumb things I've done is a purchase of $1,000 plus Furrygamo shoes. Luckily, my feet hurt so I returned them.

16. in stitches

claggerooski, what shoes cost you almost a g spot note?

most i ever spent was about 1300 for GG MTOs, split into 2 payments. after that my RL marlows, i think they ran close to 900 after tax, and then after that a few in the 600-700 range and most others 300-500.

17. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

[​IMG]

Any critiques as to why this guy isn't liked? Just the basic white shirt? I know, not right. I can't help but some times like the cleanliness of white.

Gracias.

18. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

In case anyone is looking for a rust tie for fall. I just received one yesterday from this seller. Is nice.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  19. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Here's my take.
    Suit - Nice.
    Shirt - Seems like it should be ironed, especially the collar and use collar stays.
    Tie - The knot is not tight and it is too skinny to complement the wide lapels on your jacket.
    PS - I think this can go either way. At least you didn't go with a white linen LOL.

20. Claghorn

C&J Belgrave. Buying them in Korea bumped up the price quite a bit, but it was still cheaper than paying import duty on them. Aren't G&G generally all above $1000? And don't you have, like, 40 of them?

Sometimes I'm tempted to buy lightly worn shoes. But then. Just. Dunno. I'm not against it in principle. I'd just rather know that mine are the only feet that have been in them. After briefly flirting with used jackets, the only clothes I'm really comfortable with wearing used are pocket squares and ties.