• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had membership a Gold's gym and all I did was the stairmaster or something. I was too intimidated to go over to the weight lifting section. Them dudes were pumped up. 
Now, what is this rowing exercise with dumbbells you speak of? Any youtube links?

I can't endorse the website one way or another, but this seems to capture the idea:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/one-arm-dumbbell-row

I believe you can also do it without a bench but have never tried it.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pull ups are the best move for your back, biceps and even your core, doodals. It doesn't matter if you can't do one now. If you don't train to complete a set of 10 you never will be able to do one. So start training yurself to do pull ups, start with assited pull ups, and so on. Sooner than later you will be making 10-12 without any help.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ More importantly, don't be intimidated at the gym. Most of those guys were not born with huge muscles; they worked out a lot to get there. I'm far from the most fit guy ever, but I went from a 37S to a 40S by working out. Currently am trying to keep the muscle and slim down. It's a process.

Rudals

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

calypso

Reaction score
hello everyone,
This is a great thread Rudals :)
If you have never trained properly, this is probably the most time-efficient way to start. 30 minutes three times a week.

/Calypso

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh...I didn't know that helped with building muscles to allow you to do pull ups. Thanks!

That was more of a suggestion to make sure you are doing some back exercises to balance out your chest workouts. A stronger back does generally make pull ups either, but a pull up and a row are different exercises. There's definitely overlap in the muscles they work, though. That said, I'd be surprised if you did back exercises for a couple months and were not better at pull ups.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
In the mean time, try roped shoulders for the next few years. And nice to see you too, Noodles. Been busy starting, losing, and now working on starting again, a new job.

Rudals

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
In the mean time, try roped shoulders for the next few years. And nice to see you too, Noodles. Been busy starting, losing, and now working on starting again, a new job.
Congrats on the new job.
Hope to see you around more now!

What the heck is this roped shoulders that everyone is talking about?

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't endorse the website one way or another, but this seems to capture the idea:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/one-arm-dumbbell-row

I believe you can also do it without a bench but have never tried it.

You should try it as it will engage more of your core muscles and give you a more full body workout. Try standing with your feet shoulder width apart and step forward with your left foot with the dumbell in your right hand. Bend at the waist to get in the appropriate position to do a one-arm row with your right hand and extend the left arm out to the side for balance. You'll have to decrease the weight of the dumbell, but will feel the difference right away.

I also echo the suggestion to use the weighted assist machines for pull-ups. Those are awesome for pull-ups and dips.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lots of great workout advice here by SeaJen, Betel, Archibald, Calypso, New Shoes and others! This thread really gives good natured advice on every single aspect, no matter how distantly related to menswear. Having said that, staying in shape is somewhat necessary if you want to fit in your suits down the line.

Last edited:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cuts (Formosa and Liverano-ish) actually look similar or is it my eyes?
I'd say the Formosa is a bit stiffer whereas Liverano/B&T seems a bit more relaxed. Different strokes for different folks, but both are world's better than the wrapped like a sausage shrunken lapel shite they sell at high end department stores.

I don't see that personally, but everyone gets their own impression on things. The main differences between the cuts are that L&L has a very particular shape from gorge to quarters: very rounded and very symmetrical between top and bottom of buttoning point; the buttoning point is also often higher and the lapels are more isocel and less elongated. You can that lapel shape reasonably well on the Ethan picture. The Formosa cut is not symmetrical above/below the buttoning point : the lapels are elongated and plunging to a lower buttoning point. The quarters are not as open and rounded. In a nutshell : L&L cut = ϽC while Formosa = )( Also, Liverano has a voiced distaste for extended front darts (which are common in Neapolitan tailoring from Rubinacci to Formosa) so their coats don't have any.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads