Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I can't endorse the website one way or another, but this seems to capture the idea:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/one-arm-dumbbell-row

I believe you can also do it without a bench but have never tried it.

2. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Pull ups are the best move for your back, biceps and even your core, doodals. It doesn't matter if you can't do one now. If you don't train to complete a set of 10 you never will be able to do one. So start training yurself to do pull ups, start with assited pull ups, and so on. Sooner than later you will be making 10-12 without any help. [​IMG]

3. archibaldleach

^ More importantly, don't be intimidated at the gym. Most of those guys were not born with huge muscles; they worked out a lot to get there. I'm far from the most fit guy ever, but I went from a 37S to a 40S by working out. Currently am trying to keep the muscle and slim down. It's a process.

4. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I thank SF (and Claghorn) for helping me return that $4,000 mistake suit. TTL!

5. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

6. calypso

calypso Senior member

hello everyone,
    This is a great thread Rudals :)
    If you have never trained properly, this is probably the most time-efficient way to start. 30 minutes three times a week.

/Calypso

7. archibaldleach

That was more of a suggestion to make sure you are doing some back exercises to balance out your chest workouts. A stronger back does generally make pull ups either, but a pull up and a row are different exercises. There's definitely overlap in the muscles they work, though. That said, I'd be surprised if you did back exercises for a couple months and were not better at pull ups.

8. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

In the mean time, try roped shoulders for the next few years. And nice to see you too, Noodles. Been busy starting, losing, and now working on starting again, a new job.

9. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Congrats on the new job.
    Hope to see you around more now!

What the heck is this roped shoulders that everyone is talking about?

10. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

You should try it as it will engage more of your core muscles and give you a more full body workout. Try standing with your feet shoulder width apart and step forward with your left foot with the dumbell in your right hand. Bend at the waist to get in the appropriate position to do a one-arm row with your right hand and extend the left arm out to the side for balance. You'll have to decrease the weight of the dumbell, but will feel the difference right away.

I also echo the suggestion to use the weighted assist machines for pull-ups. Those are awesome for pull-ups and dips.

11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2014

12. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

See my post of 3 hours and 10 minutes ago [​IMG]

Edit: sorry, that wasn't very helpful. Here it is...

13. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Lots of great workout advice here by SeaJen, Betel, Archibald, Calypso, New Shoes and others! This thread really gives good natured advice on every single aspect, no matter how distantly related to menswear. Having said that, staying in shape is somewhat necessary if you want to fit in your suits down the line.

14. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I don't see that personally, but everyone gets their own impression on things. The main differences between the cuts are that L&L has a very particular shape from gorge to quarters: very rounded and very symmetrical between top and bottom of buttoning point; the buttoning point is also often higher and the lapels are more isocel and less elongated. You can that lapel shape reasonably well on the Ethan picture. The Formosa cut is not symmetrical above/below the buttoning point : the lapels are elongated and plunging to a lower buttoning point. The quarters are not as open and rounded. In a nutshell : L&L cut = ϽC while Formosa = )( Also, Liverano has a voiced distaste for extended front darts (which are common in Neapolitan tailoring from Rubinacci to Formosa) so their coats don't have any.

15. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

Probably the most important part. It takes a really long time to make significant gains, and thus a lot of patience.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/245858/shoulder-expression/0_50