1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

The cut of that jacket doesn't work for you and the shoulders are too big. They day I listen to a SA at a department store is the day I start subscribing to GQ...a very sad one.

1 person likes this.
  2. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

I thought you took a firm stance again slimmer than Formosa lapels? Decided that was too extreme a stance? :D Oh, Noodles

On the shoulder's, I can't make a call without a better picture. It's shot from a low angle. In fact, I can't assess the fit of anything because the picture angle is so poor :D

At the moment, though, they don't look too wide. I don't know where @Murlsquirl is coming from? A little bit of overhang is okay. I actually prefer slightly extended shoulders because I have a big head. So did this guy

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  3. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Yup. Thats a 40R.

4. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Bring a measuring tape next time and measure the width of the shoulders. :) That's how I always decide if I'm on the fence or can't gauge using a mirror

5. Murlsquirl

Slight extension can work with soft/natural shoulders, but not those. It looks like they are extended to the point where they dimple / crease. That's just what I got out of that picture.

1 person likes this.
  6. AJL

AJL Senior member

Gotta side with Murl on this one: shoulders look lumpy and overextended in a not good way, part. right shoulder.

7. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Dunno if I agree with that tautology, Murl

Cary Grant's shoulders were not soft in that pic. That NxNW suit was made by Kilgour, which I believe does a military or equestrian cut with a structured shoulder

Edit: yep, they were padded

http://thesuitsofjamesbond.com/?p=864

8. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

He also appears to be leaning to the side with the extension

Point is, I'm not ready to make a definitive ruling until we get a better pic :)

9. Murlsquirl

Fair nuff...but it doesn't work with the jacket Rudals is wearing. I'm guessing it has to due with the construction of the chest, back, sleeve, etc. Key word being, "guessing".

I agree with you....my judgement was premature and based on a crap picture.

10. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Rudals posted a picture of the grey Zegna not too long ago that was taken at a low angle. It appeared "pear shaped" in that pic

Then when he posted a normal pic, the apparent "pear shape" was no longer present

@gdl203 not this, I think

11. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Better(?) Pic with commentary.
    [​IMG]

Side note: Asked wife to pick me out a nice tie at Neiman Marcus. She took a look. Then she said just order the one she picked out from Vanda. Lol

3 people like this.
  12. Spandexter

Spandexter Senior member

Noodles, you seem to have quite high expectations of a RTW. Sure, the shoulders aren't as good as they could be but the chest tightness and slight pull are barely evident and IMO the open quarters aren't an issue (but each to their own). Point being: 99% of people are not going to notice these things and it is highly likely your grail Formosa will also have issues, so go easy on yourself otherwise you are only ever going to be happy with bespoke.

13. Murlsquirl

I stand by my shoulder comment...the right is a little off. Overall, the fit is not bad at all.

14. Evolve

Evolve Senior member

Agreed that the quarters aren't an issue. I like them as is on that jacket. Those shoulders, though, would be a deal killer for me, RTW or not.

15. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Rudals,

I don't think that's a divot. @Despos explains this somewhere in the Tailor's thread where this is just due to the fact that you have a large muscle/bulk in that area of the upper arm. I think that a tailor normally also measures the width of your body around your arms there to accommodate that extra bulk when the jacket is cut. This jacket just doesn't accommodate that part of your arm (and several of your other suits, the Zegnas, do not either). Hence, it bulges, but it's not creating a divot. Just a guess.

1 person likes this.
  16. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Rudals, if you feel the chest tight… I dunno, maybe try the 42? If that is the Milano or Roma cut, can quite remember which one is the slim fit, it is quite small. On those cuts I have to use a 46.

17. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

46?!!!!!!
    Stop with the crazy work outs Betel. Lol. Yes, that is the Milano and no, that is not a slim one. That's Torino. Roma has been phased out long ago.

Listen y'all. I was just trying it on. It was a size up of what I usually wear. All my Zegnas are 38R and none fit well so I tried on a 40R.

2 people like this.
  18. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Good you tried it on Rudals, keep doing that. I also liked your own analysis. Sometimes a cut just doesn't work for you, no matter what size you try on.

2 people like this.
  19. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

are you calling betel fat? :mad:

20. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

:lol:

1 person likes this.