Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

[​IMG]

. . . My wife would likely agree with you. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  2. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

good point. i dont wanna sound like im bitching about how awful SF is. I just want it to stay awesome.

I love this place...Ive met some fellas that i now without hesitation consider my best friends. My family has vacationed with them, shared milestones in our lives, shared burdens, etc. This place can really be fucking amazing if you want it to be....much more than a place to come and post pics of how stupid you dress. ;)

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

NO YOU DRESS STUPID!!!

4. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Just finished practical thoughts on coherent combinations...I need a drink and some matches.

5. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

You stole them words right off my lips. Couldn't agree with you more. The survival rate for a n00b is very very low in waywrn. A lot of n00bs come with their styles already set in stones and just post fits to show off. They learn nothing and they just leave with time.

I would like to challenge the seniors to be more blunt in breaking down fits, especially with n00bs. When was the last time we had a sucessful n00b conversion and now he's a regular in waywrn?

6. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Why can't I do this with Stitchie and Clags?
    :(

7. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

It was my wife's bday and I effed it up because I was working and missed the dinner reservation. I made up just now by buying her a $700 LV wallet. But All I can think of is "I could've bought a pair of C&Js."
    :(

8. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

My experience has led to doing things for her with her > buying things for her. Just a thought. I'm probably the last person you should listen to on relationship advice though.

9. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Yep, put that $700 towards a surprise weekend getaway and you'll create lots of (hopefully!) happy and long lasting memories together. It doesn't even have to be someplace far or expensive, you'll have a great time anyway, at least that's my experience. Of course I understand every relationship is different and not everyone appreciates unsolicited advice, but I couldn't help but comment.

10. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

It is better to do something together and create lasting memories than blowing money on clothes or bags...but my wife did come here with nothing. She gave everything to her little sister.

11. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Since we're sharing our SF creation stories...

I started posting fairly soon after discovering SF, and got some positive feedback. I thought I was pretty fly. Then Niidawg broke off a piece of sartorial whupass and humbled me. Seriously. My face got hot with embarrassment. But he was absolutely correct. There was a chasm between how I thought I looked and how I actually looked.

I wouldn't put myself in the pantheon here, but I've definitely improved by leaps and bounds since then. The first step on the path is to be honest with yourself when you look in the mirror.

12. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

SB, I consider you as one of the elders. That being said, why don't you woop these n00bs and help them dress properly?

13. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Hence my disclaimer! Hope she enjoyed your gift!

14. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

A mixture of humility and limited energy. Humility in that I don't think I know it all, so I try to leave room for people to do their thing. Limited energy in that if I'm going to offer the deep critique, I think I need to be ready to have the discussion that is likely to ensue. Or the argument.

That said, I think I've given pointed feedback to just about every regular poster in WAYWRN. I just don't repeat myself a lot.

Except about AAS' horsebit loafers. He's one of my favorite posters, but those are an abomination. I will keep insulting them until he gives 'em up or I die. :D

15. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Thanks, guys. As always, much appreciated.

Cheers,

Ac