1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

I've seen losses of 10-15lbs in the initial week of a low carb diet with men over 300lbs, but that is almost entirely glycogen/water loss.

1 person likes this.
  2. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

I understand your doubt. If the weight was water weight, it would have came back. I don't get into the science of it, I just know what my body has and can do. I am actually at the gym typing this:
    [​IMG]

I ran a 5k on the treadmill in 20:12 and now I will keep up this RPM on the bike at increased level every 3 min for 20min. Core stuff, push-ups, pull-ups...done. I'll eat some black beans a good spinach salad and probably have a good stout to wash it down. I don't know guys, it works for me...always has and I'm in my mid 30s. That said, I probably don't the calorie intake (don't track) I should, but eat at least every 2-3 hours and on no specific diet, although I don't eat red meat.

What I should have said is I can do it and I believe I could get the same results with Rudals. I could fail miserably because results vary depending on the person...but I think he could and don't doubt any of you could do it if you tried/wanted to.

3. Murlsquirl

I was 195 (6'3"). I am right around 178 these days. The initial drop took a hard and dedicated week...believe it or not. You guys don't know me personally so feel free to doubt away. I understand.

4. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

That's what I meant. I should have been more specific. I guess I figure the water weight doesn't stay off permanently. Reminds me of stuff guys on my high school wrestling team would do to get under a certain weight.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts / the process. I've been getting back into working out with a goal of dropping 2 inches of beer weight off my waist by the end of the summer (though sooner wouldn't hurt). I have to force myself to do cardio since I hate it and am trying to combine cardio with pushups / pullups / planks / other exercises.

1 person likes this.
  5. Murlsquirl

No problem and good luck. I love cardio and hate weights. Push-ups and pull-ups are about it for me, other than core strengthening.

6. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I once lost about 15 lbs in about a month. I did it the dumbest way. I ate only breakfast and skipped the rest and walked from one end of dc to the other into Virginia. Starvation caused my body to dip into my muscle cells so I ended up with droopy face and skinny legs with no muscle.

I tend to do the above mentioned exercise routine while eating every meal.

7. kulata

kulata Senior member

2 people like this.
  8. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

The human body cannot metabolise more than about 0.5-1kg of fat per week. Any further weight loss is either from dehydration or from burning muscle (which the body can also do, and quite quickly).

Anyone who has credible evidence to the contrary should immediately submit it to a major scientific journal, as fame, professorships, Nobel prizes and bevies of nubile undergrad groupies would certainly be in the offing.

The other very rapid way to lose weight is to amputate a body part.

3 people like this.
  9. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Coxsackie dropping the knowledge bombs! [​IMG]

10. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Bombs? More like farts. They stink the place out for a while, then are quickly forgotten.

2 people like this.
  11. AJL

AJL Senior member

You underestimate yourself. I've smelled some pretty memorable farts in my day.

12. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

@kulata
    Thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate it.
    Here's a question for you. That link above is to a DB suit. What would your argument be for or against this Formosa?
    [​IMG]

13. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

@Coxsackie is a doctor. So, what he says is legit.
    Also, my story about me losing muscles during a bad diet and exercise routine backs up his scientific statement.

14. Murlsquirl

I cut off my leg....forgot that part.

2 people like this.
  15. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

I didn't realise we were neighbours.

16. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Damn Rudals, get that!

1 person likes this.
  17. Murlsquirl

That was going to be my response but....I think he needs to replace some staples. That isn't something you can wear every week or even every other week.

Rudals, if you have the cash and are good with something you can wear monthly...and if it would be appropriate in your office....by all means, get it. It is a beauty.

1 person likes this.
  18. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Currently, all my suits need to be towed away to Salvation Army. I cannot believe all are bad fitting.
    I need to slowly build up my staple suits but I have the mind set of get one nice one instead of 10 mediocre ones. I like the Formosas.

But what kind of physique would be able to carry that DB?
    I thought you had to be tall and bulky.

This will drive Greg nuts but I will order a 40r and try it on.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  19. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Murl does make a good point about versatility. Do people in your office wear DBs? I think if you feel comfortable in one, you could carry it off more often, especially for high level meetings! I don't see that it has to be a once a month thing, but it does elevate the level if formality.

20. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Level of Formality?
    1) 3 piece
    2) DB
    3) 3 button
    4) 2 button
    5) Sports coat
    6) Jeans
    7) Shorts
    8) ....

I can get by with a DB. We can dress HOWEVER we like but it has to be a suit. That's the only requirement. I think this can be a once a month suit too.

For sizing, is everyone fine with ordering a 50r/40r? Actually, that's the only one left. LOL