Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Don't get me wrong, I had a great time, but it was directly based on watching the kids' reactions to meeting certain characters and riding some of the rides. We also were complete nerds in how we planned our days for what rides/attractions we would hit at park opening and when we scheduled Fast Passes. Follow that up with time at the pool most afternoons, and I'm completely exhausted and in need of a vacation.

Got to admit, though, after a week filled with shorts, sandals, flip flops and running shoes, it felt pretty great to throw a pair of dress shoes on this morning with slacks and a jacket. I would never admit that anywhere outside of SF. [​IMG]

2. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

x2 lol Felt good getting back in my routine a bit

3. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Stitch, Claghorn and others:

Since we're sort of on shirts: Have you tried shirt stripes in other colors than blue? I'm thinking a light brown striped shirt for some tonal variation (not a fan of red/pink). The other option is a gray.

Thoughts?

4. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have a brown I wear a lot, red and green and purple I don't.

[​IMG]

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i have a brown and white striped shirt - love it and easy to use.

i have a gray and white striped shirt - like it well enough and not so easy to use. this is probably more of a function of the particular shirt i have, though i do not think gray is a particularly useful color for a striped dress shirt.

when it come down to it, i just like blue shirts. blue is an awesome color, its easy to use, and it almost always looks good as long as you have the right blue and the right scale stripe/check.

though personally, i really use a shirt as more of a backdrop when i wear a jacket and tie, and i specifically stay away from any shirts that "pop." i just want a pretty and coherent backdrop.

i would very much like one candy stripe red and white shirt though for those spreezy days. have not kopped one yet. maybe in the upcoming months.

edit - the brown i have is very similar to the one clags has above, but mine is a BD. id like a spread color one like clags' tho.

deets, clags?

Last edited: May 5, 2014

6. TweedyProf

Agreed on blue. Blue checks, solid blue, blue stripes. Thought I would branch out. I think brown stripes it is, though perhaps a bit thinner stripes?

7. in stitches

depends on the ties you want to wear with it, but i like the width of clags' stripes. mine are wider even, but you cant go wrong with thinner. come to think of it, i also have a dark brown thinner stripe i like a lot, but i really want one like clags' now.

8. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

^ I find wider stripes to be a better fit with shirts intended to be worn more casually and narrower stripes to work better with shirts that are to be worn in a more formal context. There are always exceptions, but I find it a useful rule of thumb. I also prefer my wider stripes to be on an oxford or more casual fabric for this reason.

9. Claghorn

Agreed. Those are on oxford cloth. I think if I found narrow brown stripes I'd be on them like Foo on a pointless argument.

10. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

Agreed from here too. I have admired that shirt Clags from afar. One other point to add is that it is a flattering colour for da complexion too

11. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

12. Claghorn

Yeah, but I dont wear much navy.

13. TweedyProf

Well, I think the answer is one wide brown stripe on oxford cloth, one thin brown stripe on broadcloth or poplin.

Monkeyface's photo is what I had in mind for light gray stripe, so one of those too. Too thin gray and I suspect the shirt would look "dirty", but wide gray I think does nicely. (MF, who is in that photo?).

I think both colors would allow for easy tie/jacket coordination, but provide some diversity away from blue, which is the basis for a good shirt wardrobe but of which I'm largely saturated (though I must find a small navy check).
    Can someone now fund this?[​IMG]

14. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

No idea, someone posted it in the Luxire thread when requesting a new fabric. It is a very striking combination, and I've been waiting for a fabric like that to appear on their site for a while now.

15. in stitches

Spot on.

---

Lol clags. Now can I get some deets on your brown shirt?

MF, that does look really nice.