1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

I appreciate the heads up. I just kopped some knit ties.

[​IMG]

these too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

I don't like any of those ties, Jungalo :(

Why'dyou buy the ones emblazoned with the YSL logo?

3. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

This would be a very Noodle Thread thing to go down if this actually goes down. A group buy on an eBay tie lot. Ridiculous.
    @sugarbutch

and...uhhh...whoever else wears Polo ties.

I'd be down for picking these three up for around $75 provided they're in excellent shape.
    [​IMG]

The burgundy RLPL is nice, but I have several burgundy solids, so I figure someone else should take that one.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  4. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Must be nice. [​IMG]

5. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

That RLPL is purple not burgundy. Don't see any red tinge in it. Sure you monitor's calibrated?

6. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Clags, Polo is great for striped ties. A notch above your typical brooks brothers

7. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Logo doesn't really bother me. They were $20 for the lot and my jacket stays closed so I don't think it'll be an issue. The other ones were $8. I figured the medallion one wouldn't be everyones cup of tea but I like it and think I can work it into some fits. The grey and blue stripe tie seemed like a decent staple so I kopped that too.

8. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

My ties up for grabs.
    I will take this down so that it doesn't conflict with B&S policy.
    I have a Turnbull&Asser
    [​IMG]
    And a 6 folds RED Sam Hober FINA Grenadine tie.

PM me if you want either of these.

9. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

You guys could easily *PROFIT* off of these ties, and still be able to keep a few that you want.

Assuming the lot goes for no more than $450, that comes to around $10.50 per tie.

Keep the ties you want, sell these rest for $20 shipped each.

10. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

Ofc, but Clags' post is helpful to establish and upper limit of our bid. Max we are willing to spend is $25 a tie? Actual price paid will be whatever the winning bid is divided by the number of ties + shipping.

I would like a couple repps and clubs of whatever everyone else doesn't want (Just please don't stick me with garbage. :p). I will flip the rest of what everyone doesn't want. Sound good?

1 person likes this.
  11. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Don't you think the price would go to a point where it is no longer that easy to flip them? I can also see the more unpopular colours, such as bright teal, pink and green going for less than $20.

12. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Seeing as the auction ends in a few hours, has zero watchers, and is only being bid on by a handful of users, I don't think there's a high likelihood of it suddenly rocketing to $450+

Seller has poor pictures. That's part of the reason they're not selling too well. Use this to your advantage

1 person likes this.
  13. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

@luv2breformed what ties are you staking out?

14. Claghorn

Though JRD is a much more experienced hand at this, these are the prices I imagine being able to easily move those Polos

[​IMG]

15. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

It's like when I go to SuitSupply. They don't bring the "Long" sizes so when I try one and say "It's too short" they answer me "That's how everybody is usin g it right now" I politly answer "Well, I don't want to look like everybody else, I don't want to look like a woman, I don't want to look ridiculou, I want to look classic but with my touch of style. That's the difference between my style and fashun". [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  16. Claghorn

The first time someone tells me "that's what everybody wears these days," I'm going to stare at them until they apologize and walk away from me in shame.

5 people like this.
  17. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

I think those ties would avg about $20. Obviously, the RLPLs will fetch more, and the emblematic polo's will fetch less

18. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I had a similar experience at SS. I do not know what the heck these people know. I took my friends to get suits at suits and make sure they end up with SF approved suits. This dummie when talking about hemming the pants said, you should go short so that there is no break and that it is a bit higher because that is the trend now. I grab the dummie by the neck (not literally) and told her to give my friend a slight break and no clown pants.

You're are cruel man. LOL

1 person likes this.
  19. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

That's #menswear for you. Emphasis on tight jackets, cropped pants, etc

20. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

@jrd617
    F.U.

I finally am listening and returned the suit from NMWA. I am waiting for a 40R. It took me a while but I think I am there.

2 people like this.