Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

I don't see anything wrong with a black tie worn with a navy jacket. If it's a knit tie, I think that's a fairly classic look. Black pants don't provide enough contrast to a navy jacket. When not wearing a suit, you want contrast between jacket and trousers, but contrast is not necessary or really desirable between shoe and trouser. A midnight blue velvet jacket looks nice over black tuxedo trousers, however, since there is enough contrast in the texture. All IMHO of course.

2. unbelragazzo

Why the tux hate, Clags?

3. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't hate them. I just don't want to wear them. "Black tie" holds no glamour for me. I can stomach outfits for funerals. But for celebrations? If a friend's wedding stated black tie, I'd wear one (I've never been to a wedding the United States. So far my funeral to wedding ratio is something like 9-10 : 2. Being related to me or friends with me isn't good for your health). Otherwise, I'd probably just wear a suit and be another inappropriately dressed American. I'd at least wear a midnight navy peak lapel single breasted suit, a white shirt, and probably a black necktie.

Last edited: May 2, 2014

4. unbelragazzo

By "outfit for celebration" you mean the uniformity of it displeases you?

5. Claghorn

I suppose the idea of narrow strictures for celebratory wear may rub me the wrong way. But that is likely to just be rationalizing a gut feeling. I certainly see nothing wrong with a tux, nor do I hold against anyone the liking of wearing tuxes. It may be a couple of things combined.

* celebration having strict dress requirements
    * I dislike the way they look
    * I dislike the idea of having an outfit for only certain occasions, especially if those occasions aren't funeral/business related. I realize that professions do require the donning of a black tie for certain occasions. I'm sure I would comply were I ever in such employment
    * contrarian reaction to people thinking black tie is fun (don't tell pB that I occasionally humor my contrarian impulses)

6. unbelragazzo

The requirements are really not that strict

:eek:

This seems like an odd objection. All clothing is situational on some level. No outfit is all-purpose. Do you also object to swim trunks, baseball uniforms, and brown shoes (worn only for farming, of course)?

Fair enough. I never had a better time when I was in college than making fun of Dave Matthews Band in front of dudes, or Sex in the City in front of women.

7. Claghorn

But such situational clothing has practical use. A tuxedo does not. Unless, of course, satin lapels excel at deflecting spilled cocktails.

8. unbelragazzo

It's practical in that a baseball uniform is a perfectly fine outfit to play baseball in. But it's not the only outfit you could play baseball in. It's just the one that's been decided on as the thing you wear when playing baseball.

Same thing for a tuxedo. Except it also happens to look particularly awesome at night, when it should be worn.

9. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Thanks @unbelragazzo
    It just struck me as a bit odd but I get it now.

One of my go-to ties was a simple black pindot (white) tie. I could wear it with pretty much anything. It's gone now.

I never realized how ODD black suits looked in the office until I joined SF. DC has a lot of people who need a 1-on-1 session with SF.

10. unbelragazzo

DC gets a lot of hate because it's not as "cool" a city and everybody has seen politicians dressing poorly. But to be honest I think DC is among the better dressed cities in the world, at least in terms of suit-and-tie wearing. In what other cities does a higher percentage of men wear suit and tie every day? Maybe London, New York, and that's it. Haven't spent time in Tokyo recently, but maybe there too. In any case, the list isn't long.

11. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

1. i have never worn black tie attire in my life.

2. black tie and some form or blue/navy suit is an awesome look. every time i do it i am pleased.

3. rudals, your suit arrived / is ready? whats up with the pic of the jacket on the mannequin?

4. i am in the CC/DC area every week, and i have to say that every time im there i invariably see a number gents passing by whos fits would be SF approved. maybe not a cool city, but the gents seem to be well dressed.

12. Claghorn

I'm not sure I agree with this analogy. A baseball uniform doesn't have quite so many bells and whistles as a tuxedo does, so it's easier to use the "tradition dictates its wear" justification as the cost of wearing one is less (not in terms of $$ but effort wearing it) and there are fewer deviations that can be made (I mean, it's basically just a shirt tucked into pants). And it's actually pretty well suited for baseball (cleats, hat, pants, jockstrap). Whereas I'm not sure how well suited a tuxedo is for fun. Then again, I've never worn them. So perhaps they aid in conversation, dancing, gaiety, and whatever else goes on a black tie events (cocaine use?).

Seoul. And it does it horribly. But bus drivers are required to wear a suit and tie. The greeters at my grocery store are required to wear a suit and tie. Pretty much all salarymen are. At least a third of the retired men I see on subways are wearing jacket and tie. And I imagine collectively, the suited denizens of Seoul look far, far worse than those of DC.

13. unbelragazzo

Does a tuxedo have many bells and whistles? Do you think the tuxedo inhibits your fun-having in a way that a peak lapel navy suit does not? The tuxedo is particularly good-looking at night because of the high contrast and shiny lapels. In terms of non-aesthetic qualities, it does not differ from any other suit. I guess with the exception that the waistcoat would be cut lower (or replaced by a cummerbund), to show studs but also possibly to avoid overheating during dancing, etc.. Of course now that the default on a suit is no waistcoat, this is no longer an advantage vis a vis the suit.

14. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I wish DC, especially the politicians, would break out of the mold of wearing a solid dark suit and become more stylistic. I mean I walk around the Capitol Hill and I just see horrible fitting suits and LOUD ties. I think they can stay within their CBD and yet stay stylistic. Shoot, maybe they can dress the way I do.

That suit on the mannequin is freaking awesome. I would buy that in a heartbeat if my wife wasn't shopping at Ethan Allen right now. [​IMG]

I completely disagree with your #4. I see poorly dressed people. I see SF approved maybe twice a day or so.

15. unbelragazzo

You see poorly dressed dudes just because there are so many dudes wearing suit and tie. But the majority are doing fine IMHO.