1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. timotune

timotune Distinguished Member

Looks like the Lazio. Fit is very good for RTW, but the jacket looks too short. Is this a L-size already?

Brown Suede Loafers, Double Monks or Captoe-Oxfords will work.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014

2. kulata

kulata Distinguished Member

The jacket is short but not too short, I think the shortness is exacerbated by his longer than normal reach (wingspan).

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

wait. so if offer to make some fancy minister people some free suits, then in time i will become a #menswear legend?

4. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Distinguished Member

Some Henry Carter ties incoming! Wll in a few weeks until one is restocked. [​IMG]

5. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Stitchy, can you cut and sew? I think those abilities might be required.

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

um, kind of.

7. sleeppopotamus

sleeppopotamus Member

Thanks so much to you, Claghorn, and kulata for all of your comments. I really, really appreciate your guys' thoughts on shoe options and had no idea about a shoe <-> tie color connection.

I'm also frankly impressed you are able to identify the name of the jacket just by looking. Yes, I think it is the Lazio, and it is a 38L (my arms are pretty lanky).

On length, in the future something 1" or 2" longer would also be appropriate? I know you want to cover your behind and that something too short looks like a woman's jacket. And you're also maybe trying to figure out the aesthetic balance between having a long leg line and a long torso line?

I was just looking at pictures to try and train my eye to assimilate a sense of this. So I had thought this looked very good, but the jackets, for example, might be a bit too short, unless you're following a more fashionable look. Maybe?
    [​IMG]

8. Claghorn

Claghorn Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Aye. Those look like women's jackets too me. At this point, if the jacket barely covers your ass, you'll not look out of date while at the same time not looking so trendy that you'll look out of date in the next year or two. So given the current trend, you best bet is to get as short as possible without stepping into girl jacket territory.

It is possible for a too short jacket to look good provided you have the right body. The right body being a flat ass and narrow hips. Otherwise, it will not flatter your body type

9. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Distinguished Member

10. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Distinguished Member

Quote:Well, I suppose it's stating the bleeding obvious, but... Seems to me the entire blame for this lamentable current trend towards pre-shrunk jackets and visible ankle hair can be laid entirely at the brogue-shod feet of Thom Browne. [​IMG] I thought this look was kinda "cute" when he first launched it around '06. Never for a moment did I think such an inherently ridiculous fashion concept could go mainstream. But it has. Avoid, Mr Elephantiasis. Avoid with extreme prejudice.

11. Academic2

Academic2 Distinguished Member

Yes. I would add that it helps if you have shorter arms.

Cheers,

Ac

12. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior Member

What does everyone think of the NOBD 2 collar?

Specifically I'm looking for a collar that is moderate spread and would be appropriate as a substitute for the many BD collars I have been procuring (ie very casual). Something that looks at home with casual fabrics.

Also, I really like taller collars and sometimes I feel that collars with too much spread make the collar height seem shorter. This is something I'd like to avoid.

NOBD 2:

[​IMG]

Any other recommendations? Thanks!

13. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

14. kulata

kulata Distinguished Member

I think I prefer the NOBD1 as a good substitute to BD collars especially if its minimally lined and tall (1.75 inches collar band height, YMMV). Another option you should consider is a one piece collar like the corneliani one I am wearing below. I just sent it off to luxire for replication

[​IMG]

15. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior Member

I tend to agree on it being too short. Any taller recommendations?

I feel like the NOBD1 has too much spread for me. I really like the idea of a one piece collar, but I tend to think I would get that as a BD as well. I'm not sure if it would be different enough from my Kamakura's, though I certainly want some in the future.