Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Sotiris

Sotiris Senior member

Alt wien's are pretty classic. There must be some you may like?

[​IMG]

2. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I feel the exact same way generally regarding derby captoes as well. Part of the problem here is also that it is a grain captoe, which seems like a strange mix. I loved the shortwing grain Vass shoes JRD purchased. Also liked the grain split toe C&J's he posted a few months ago, but just can't get behind a grain captoe derby.

I think my next shoe is going to be a brown pebble grain wingtip boot along the lines of the C&J Islay. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014

3. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Those are pretty nice. I think the contrast in the lighter leather and brogueing is helping.
    Shortwing...that's what they're called. Exactly my thoughts. Those boots....oh my....lawd! :slayer: I'm so mad the HY shoes are gone and supposedly not going to be restocked...wtf!... [​IMG]

4. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

Alright, my noodles weight loss challenge update:

I worked out every day over the past 8 days with a very simple routine. I would wake up early and exercise for 45-60 min every morning. My weight progress was actually super discouraging at first, but over the last few days and this morning especially I saw significant progress:

[​IMG]

My workout routine consisted of the following:

1. Warm-up on the treadmill. Basically walk at 3.0 MPH until I feel ready to jog then bump it to 5.0 for about 30 seconds and then bump up to 7.0 for 2-3 "songs". Finally drop down to 3.0 for about a minute to cool-down. I saw significant improvement in my time and distance over the course of the week. I still had to push it hard, but I could run at 7.0 for longer.

Day1:
    [​IMG]
    Day 2:
    [​IMG]
    Day 4:
    [​IMG]
    Day 5:
    [​IMG]
    Day 8:
    [​IMG]

2. After the treadmill I would try to fairly quickly transition into a core lift and sometimes a couple of secondary lifts to go with it. I pretty much alternated the following two days: 1) Chest 2) Back and Shoulders.

For chest I would perform the following lifts, not all of them, but one or two of them each day, trying to mix it up a bit.
    Dumbbell Press
    Incline Press (Machine)
    Tricep "Kick backs"?
    Cable chest fly (Machine)

For shoulders and back I did the following:
    Dumbbell Military Press
    Lat Pulldowns (Machine)
    Seated Row (Machine)

I always targeted 4x10 in each of the 1 or 2 lifts I selected. I saw some improvement and moved up in weight on my dumbbell press by the end of the week.

3. In between the core lifts I selected I would always workout my core with crunches, bicycle crunches, oblique crunches, and planks.

4. Stretches for my (self-diagnosed) lordosis when I was feeling tired

Finally, my diet has been significantly altered. I have been avoiding pastas and breads and french fries (so delicious, I miss you), but won't hesitate to eat a sandwich or burger once in a while. I try to do veggies and meat as often as I can, but I'm not being extremely over the top about it. My caloric intake has dropped off dramatically particularly in the area of sweets. I used to get a craving for sweets after every single meal. Now I don't find myself craving sweets nearly as much. In fact it was tough for the first portion of the week. I had one Medium frozen custard when I went to Culver's for dinner last Saturday (that was a poor caloric day all around really). Additionally I split a pint of sorbet between Monday and Tuesday for lunch. Since then I have been ice cream free! This was really hard for me as I used to eat ice cream EVERY SINGLE NIGHT.

Overall, very happy so far. Going to take the weekend off (my muscles all feel pretty tired, particularly my calves lol). Might do some light hiking or something with the wife, but other than that I won't be going to the gym. I will take the gauntlet back up on Monday!

Feedback and helps appreciated!!

5. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

@luv2breformed
    AWESOME!
    Very nice to hear about your progress.
    I will let others chime in on this but I do not think you want to cut out carbs completely, which you haven't, since you do a lot of running on the treadmill.
    I think your diet is similar to the one that I was on BEFORE I got married. My diet has now changed to eating burgers, cookies, pastas, noodles, etc and I do not like that I am 10 lbs above my norm.
    The only workout that I do besides taking a stroll with my wife is...
    [​IMG]
    Anyhow, I do notice that my upper body has regained the muscles that I had before I stopped working out. I am noticing definition in my shoulders, arms, and thighs. I believe part of my weight gain is attributable to them muscles. But definitely will try to burn out fat around the belly and start eating healthy.

My weight this morning was...182.5 lbs [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. coldsalmon

coldsalmon Senior member

As soon as I cut out the "empty calories" from my diet, I noticed an immediate improvement in how I looked AND how I felt. I will never go back. If I want a calorie-dense food, I usually eat a pile of quinoa with veggies. It still has enough caloric density to sustain a heavy workout routine, but it's not quite as "empty" as pasta. Kudos to all you guys who are working out! Remember to post in this thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/375422/100k-pull-ups-in-2014/375

7. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Doodals, it's good that you are gaining muscles, remember that the scale is not the only indicator you should use. For example in my case a year ago I was 82 kg (I tend to use more my body measurements to track progress, so I have back then a 32 waist). Right now I am 92 kg and still have that 32 waist but much more bigger legs and core. Don't trust just the scale.

8. AJL

AJL Senior member

Diet can make a big difference, as I intimated earlier. The key is to make changes that you can live with: eat healthy, eat well, and eat so that you are satisfied. For me that meant cutting out red meat and poultry altogether (was never a big meat eater, though I've always enjoyed some), cutting out a lot of fats (cooking w/ olive oil instead of butter, but then I've been doing that for years anyway), and so on. I too was a nightly ice cream hound, as well as morning pastry and lunchtime cookie or brownie.. But, no more. Instead of pastries in the am, a bowl of shredded wheat w/ banana, low fat milk and a pretty good dash of sugar (demerara; still have my sweet tooth to contend with). Instead of cookies & ice cream, fruit and maybe low fat yoghurt. I love veggies, salads and fish/shellfish, so that transition wasn't so tough, even though I still crave meat occasionally when I smell some good 'Que and such. I may go back to poultry at some point, nothing hard & fast (and not sure about red meat either, but that's not just a caloric or dietary consideration).

The thing is, I love food, love to eat, and I really don't feel deprived the way I'm eating now. In some ways, I feel like I'm tasting food more intensely, the flavors seem purer, and I don't tend to get that jammed, sickly feeling like you can get from too much meat, ice cream or cookies. And you do get acclimated to that, eg, cutting out sweets. You just have to remain disciplined and consistent, but don't deprive yourself entirely. I will definitely still order a decadent dessert if I'm out at a nice restaurant, but that's more or less the exception as far as that goes. Going on 11 months now.

9. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Very true. I keep trying to remember not to go so crazy over my weight. I believe looking at your waist size can be one of the best indicators. I am 82kg now and I am 30/31 around the waist. And stop bulking up so much Betel, I can tell from the picture!

10. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

I remember when I had a 29" waist. That was when I graduated from high school. I also weighed 136 lbs.

11. AJL

AJL Senior member

I was about the same. Actually got back very close to that about 20 yrs later, when I was doing intensive workouts 3-4 x week for a period of about 3 yrs. Now, not so much.

12. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Photo session at B&T (behind the scenes)

[​IMG]

13. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Were you known as Nosugarbutch then?

14. timotune

timotune Senior member

You are on their insta @Claghorn: [​IMG]

15. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

In jeans no less!