1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

:nodding:

now you have to kop formosa.

yes you can.

superb.

2. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I hope that the Formosa fits on me as well as it does on @Murlsquirl and then I can go all out on other Formosas...

1 person likes this.
  3. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

Unfortunately so. Xenophobia, fascism, racism. It was co-opted by the British National Party and others. Thankful that it has been reclaimed.
    This article sums it up I think.Here

4. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Very nice article. Provides a good historical background of the Union Jack to a layman American like me.

5. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

OK. I'm going to ask a spectacularly stupid question here.

I've been pinning fit photos I like to my Pinterest board. How do I go to that board to view those photos?

I know it's stupid. But I just cannot work out how to see my own pins.

6. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

For posterity

7. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Save the URL.
    When you pin something, you have the option to view that pin (it should be a pop up).
    Also, you can go to the Pinterest website and log in.

8. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

My favorite topic. :)

9. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

Funny thing is, I have two different sizes and love them both. Good luck, Rudals. Can't wait to see how it goes....I'm expecting it will exceed all of your expectations.

1 person likes this.
  10. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Just to be clear really it was/is the flag of St. George that suffers from links to extreme views. Though England's flag has been reclaimed somewhat by patriots and proudly run up on specific occasions.

11. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Great selection. Wear in good health. Would you mind sharing links to the blue in the middle and brown to the right? That second green one looks great, it's on my order list also.

12. Celadon

Celadon Senior member

The Union Jack was mostly lost to Vivienne Westwood.

In menswear (or should that have a hashtag?):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

How would you combine this pocket square?
    [​IMG]
    It's described as "salmon with taupe paisley" and is cotton/linen blend. I'm looking at using it with SC + odd pants mostly (+ tie) so not with suits. Potential combinations would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  14. Claghorn

It's nice, but may be a little tough. Or at least it would be for me because I generally don't do that splash-of-color square which doesn't pick up anything else. But at the same time, for that sort of square use, it looks ideal. It should fit well texturally with a lot of less than super smooth jacket fabrics. It's not bright enough to really clash with much. Probably enough brown for it to work with ties heavy in tan/light brown or against a brown jacket. It's seems very springlike.

1 person likes this.
  15. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Thank you for your input. My initial though was actually navy SC with tan/brown trousers and a brown tie (not warm brown).

I'm trying to learn color/texture combinations in general before nailing how to use items based on season (disregarding the obvious things). Thanks for the tip, though. Much appreciated.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  16. Claghorn

Should work in that context. The easiest squares to us, I've found, are those with a large pattern with at least 3 colors. Kent Wang and Drakes have a bunch of these.

The most versatile square I own:
    [​IMG]

and others:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

The problem with cotton-linen is that it's often too big for your pocket when you do anything other than a TV fold, and a TV fold with a coloured square looks weird. I used to own one, but I returned it because of that.

18. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Thanks for the tip. Great looking PSs. That second Drake's looks looks appealing to me. I will try to find it.

19. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

I agree. Generally it looks weird, or st least such PSs aren't versatile. But I also think they can look great if used correctly. Now, while this particular one is hard to work, I have another in a brown shade and an olive green, which I think works. It isn't as conservative as a white linen, but not as playful as others, such as the ones Clag advised. It's a middle way. Or am I getting it wrong?

20. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Meh, any situation where a coloured TV fold hanky is appropriate a puffed square is appropriate as well, and it looks infinitely better. The multiple ways of using a square that's not linen makes it much more versatile. If you don't have more than 10 great pocket squares it's best to get ones that are as versatile as possible. Lots of big picture designs such as those KWs or Drakes can be folded to show different colours, which makes them much more useful.