Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Thanks, it sounds great! I'll give it a try next time!

2. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

We did something similar in school. 6/4/4/2/2 at roughly 70, 80, and 90 percent of max. You could obviously adjust to ensure exhaustion as needed. It was for football and the focus was on power. Don't know if this is good or not, but I saw results back then.

3. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

I'm about 6'1 and 225 lbs - my advice is that it's good to carry a bit of weight on you. Women like guys with a bit of muscle definition and you'll look healthier. But be very aware that it is difficult to find clothing that you like if you decide to keep packing on muscle.

All of my suits and sport coats are bespoke. I can't find anything off the rack that feels good. Forget about any of the Italian brands for me.

Im lucky to find shirts that feel good. If I do they almost always need to be darted. Most of the high end brands are made for very lean guys.

If I had my way I'd slim down to 190 lbs. But my fiancé won't let me :)

4. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

Done BG. I suppose I don't have to register for the results to be recorded.

5. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

Don't say "only". ;)
    Mixed you up with someone, can't recall who ATM, though.

(PS: Easter long weekend, some nice blu-rays had arrived and my AV processor is acting up. Focus prio for now shifted from clothing to entertainment. Thinking Marantz AV8801.)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014

6. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Today
    Weight: 180lbs ; Target 170lbs
    Breakfast: Carrot juice and an apple, strawberry-banana smoothie (300 kcal)
    Symptoms: Pants are tight around the waist due to...fat.
    Exerxise:

7. AJL

AJL Senior member

Had a physical yesterday, weigh 10 lbs less than last checkup, 2 yrs ago, and 20+ lbs less than all-time high of about a year ago. Currently a little over 150, was as high as 175 last yr. Changes: stopped eating meat & poultry in july. Cut out (limited) caffeine, most sweets and fats, eating more fish and veggies, fruit, etc. Benefits: aforementioned weight loss + notable reduction in agita ( heartburn/acid reflux). Need to: get on regular moderate exercise program; trying to start up at home w/ a few basic tools & routines. Objective: lose another 10 lbs of lard, replace w/ a little lean muscle mass. Specific target areas : gut and "love (hate) handles" ( my understanding is the latter is one of the most difficult areas to affect, requiring multi-rep circuits of large muscle exercises like forward & reverse squats, push ups, pull ups, etc, with very little rest between reps. Really gets your heart pumping. Trying to target this area with site specific exercise is apparently not as effective.) Would like to tone up a few other areas as well, but unlike you, Noodles, time is not on my side. Good luck in meeting your goals.

8. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

You cannot target fat loss in certain areas if your body. Think @Monkeyface already spoke of this. Every person's body has a unique way of depositing fat -- some it's the butt or thighs or love handles or gut. The fat will disappear in the reverse; wherever the last fat was deposited, that is likely to be eliminated first.

Focusing on a certain area for exercises might help sculpt the muscles but it certainly won't target fat loss there.

9. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

Noodles weight challenge day 1:

Starting weight: 185 lb

Regimen:

Treadmill
    Dumbbell press: 4x10 (45 lb)
    Crunches
    Lordosis stretches

Was gonna do more but felt like I was gonna throw up.

Treadmill stats at the end of warm up:
    [​IMG]

10. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

1) Varies woman to woman of course, and the most important female opinion should be that of your fiancee' (second e important), but I think men exaggerate how much women like very muscular men. We might be basically agreeing depending on what you mean by "a bit of weight/muscle definition" but if you're a fit 6'1 225, then you're quite muscular.

2) I think it's dangerous to place to my value on the opinion of women in general. First of all, it's obsequious. Crowd pleasers usually end up with more attention than respect. Second of all, in my experience most women have terrible taste in men's style.

11. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Thanks, DeSense! Nope, no registration needed. [​IMG]

I used to play football, played for 13 years until my back got injured. Didn't know you played too, as estitchy would say "ZOMG!" (in stitches, SF, 2013) [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

'gazebo, how did you leave this thread off your list?! It's got to be one of the more bizarre active threads on this forum

Edit: iPad autocorrects " 'gazzo" to "gazebo"

13. unbelragazzo

My list was restricted to threads that started, and mostly also ended, before my join date, for people who want to get a sense of what the "glory days" of SF were like.

14. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Very true. You should look/dress/do anything because that's how you like it, not because someone else likes it, within reason of course. External validation might be nice (SF thumbs!), but internal validation is infinitely more important.

Anyway, when talking about weight lifting, I remember reading some papers that show that muscular men are healthier than the average person (no shit!) and have significantly stronger bones, which leads to less injuries later in life. If you keep lifting weights as you grow older and maintain your muscle mass, you'll prevent bone loss, and won't have to be afraid of breaking your hip from stumbling on the sidewalk one day. That should be enough motivation if you ask me!

15. unbelragazzo

I should preface this by saying that I know very little about weightlifting, so this is all presumption. But I would guess that the typical weightlifting dude does not look like a bodybuilder or even a linebacker. Also the relevant comparison is not between weightlifting and nothing (which is probably what the average person does), but rather weightlifting and other forms of exercise that develop different kinds of muscles and fitness. People have different fitness goals, so it would be unlikely that one exercise routine is best for everyone. There are many routines that will prevent you from breaking your hip on the sidewalk that don't involve weightlifting.