1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Hmmm...I used to walk from one end of DC to the other. I love walking and can walk for hours without getting tired at a nice decent pace.
    If you look at pictures of sprinters vs marathon runners, they are totally different. That's what I am going for.
    I probably need professional help on working out.

2. kulata

kulata Senior member

3. TM79

TM79 Senior member

What I mean when I call the exercise industry a glorified scam is that a consumer can spend a lot on a packaged DVD set that contains a workout routine they can find on the internet for free. I'm not debating if the workout will yield results or not.

It's the same way WeightWatchers is a glorified scam.

4. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

What the F happened to the images? The blue windowpane is gorgeous. Funny tho, how some of those Zegna's form some ripples in the chest as the ones you tried in Suit Supply.

Check out about Myo Reps. Myo Reps allow you to have more "effective" reps en less time.

5. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

I highly doubt it. While it is helpful to have someone with experience guide you when you're starting off and put you through movement assessments to see if you have any pre-existing deficits in strength/ROM, you can also accomplish this on your own. There many excellent resources available online and I'll list a few below:

Movement assessment/correction:
    www.ericcressey.com - Amazing selection of articles on common postural and movement issues. Specializes in working with throwing athletes so most of his stuff is based around maximizing shoulder/thoracic spine performance.

www.backfitpro.com - Dr. Stuart McGill's website. Probably the leading authority on lumbar and spinal health in relation to athletic performance

www.t-nation.com and www.elitefts.net - Has articles from many excellent sources about everything ranging from training to diet to corrective exercise to rehab. Decent amount of nonsense you'll have to sort through, especially on T-Nation. Elitefts also features an exercise glossary with video as well as a Q&A section where you can submit questions/video to their athletes(some of the top lifters and coaches in strength training) and get specific advice.

Once you get that sorted you can choose a training program. I'd recommend 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler. It's very, very easy to follow and effective for beginners. Builds around the 4 "big" movements: Squat, deadlift, bench, overhead press. Requires access to Olympic barbells and weights.

Stay away from bodybuilding.com and its forum. Troll level: INCREDIBLE. Usefulness: Damn near zero.

6. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

In other news I would like to ask you guys for a favour.

Some mates and I are participating to win a government competition to get some extra funds for our business. We need to gather a lot of documentation and a girl from out team, made this survey to add those statistics to the investigation. Can you help me by answering them? They are short, 14 questions in total, won't take you more than 4 mintes.

Clags told me to share this with you so I can gather more data.

Thanks in advance!

1) https://es.surveymonkey.com/s/RGTSL8Q
    2)
    https://es.surveymonkey.com/s/RB67TZV

7. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Was this for me? If it was regarding the shoes being held up in customs being Carminas, then yes. The first time I ordered from Skoatiebla..asdfsdjlkfjalsdjfsadfgoat. My Carmina Austerity Brogues got held up in Customs for ~3 weeks. I contacted him direct but he couldn't do anything I think unless they sent them back to him. They finally made it to me with no damage or anything but it was torture seeing it just sitting there on the tracking page.

8. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

jungalo whats in your shoe rotation now?

Mine is quite heavy on loafers and wingtip "shitkickers" now.

I only have 3 oxfords for wear with suits

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  9. Sundance

Sundance Active Member

10. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

I'm sure I will get flamed for this because it seems to elicit passionate reactions from people...but I think I've benefited greatly from following a kind of modified paleo diet. Fairly close to what's described in 'Perfect Health Diet'. Basically, eat a lot of fish, meat, and vegetables, and cut sugar and carbs, especially wheat and corn. Don't worry about calories, it's counterproductive.

Also recently I've started doing yoga and pilates, which are much better for what I'm trying to achieve than lifting I think.

11. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

done here.

12. AJL

AJL Senior member

I did see what JRD posted; the link I included was his.

13. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

You're really stupid and this is a dumb idea. Also, real men lift and women do yoga, so that's stupid too.

14. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

:nodding:

15. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

I actually forgot to include that I am doing a variety of stretches as well in my workout routines. These stretches are particularly aimed at correcting Lordosis. I don't know who told me about that, but it was very helpful information for me, thanks! It's not quite yoga, but I certainly see a lot of benefit and I have seen some posture improvements already. :)

I can certainly see how a regimen geared around that could be very beneficial.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014