1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

2. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

This sounds about right based on the pictures. I'm seeing a lot of nice looking SC's and suits in casual fabrics. Herringbones, glen plaids, houndstooths, birdseyes

You should focus on getting more some more casual ties (stripes, neats, maybe even some wool ties). Avoid anything shiny. I personally really like neats and wear mostly navy blazers and casual SCs like you. They can also be worn with worsted suits. I like them for their versatility, so they take up about a third of my tie wardrobe now. You could also use some grenadines in conservative colors (Sam Hober has some striped grenadines too)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  3. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Don't make me come over there....

1 person likes this.
  4. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

There would be no challenge to fifty. It's also less practical. There are those lists with ten ties, but a lot of people here are going to end up owning more than ten ties. At the same time, most of those people would gawk/scoff at the prospect of owning fifty, or at least acquiring fifty in anything less than a decade. Twenty-five is all you need to be well dressed without ever being repetitive.

---

Alright, so first thing I notice about JR's wardrobe is that his jackets are very countrified. I'm not sure if that's the direction wants to continue taking or if he'll try and go a little more city with future blazers and odd jackets.
    JR, closer pictures of the four or five you wear most, and the ties you generally pair them with?

2 people like this.
  5. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Can you ALSO return all of these to Neiman Marcus for a full refund? ALL OF THEM?
    Okay, all jokes aside. For me, some boundaries were set before we started off on a journey.
    I would say it made things easier.
    I only wore navy blue suits and mostly wore white or pale blue solid shirts.
    So I think we should start off there with you as well.

1 person likes this.
  6. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Noodles, you can always rely on "frijoles and tortillas" and keep kopping ties. I would have to say that if you eat a lot of them you still would get fat but there you have a nice source of protein, carbs and low fat with a nice fiber content, count dem macros and buy dem ties! :lol:

1 person likes this.
  7. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Also, Noodles, you can justify to your fiancé buying the PoW 1 from Conrad or the PoW from Henry Carter because you might wear that to your wedding. Take advantage of that, buy the ties and you can justify the expense to her. :lol:

1 person likes this.
  8. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Sounds uncomfortable. You eat like this when you spend too much on clothes?

9. Claghorn

Breaking down what I'd consider the best 25 ties you could buy. When I figure out what I'd want, I'll start compiling pictures. As of right now, this is what I'm thinking

Solid
    Midnight blue grenadine
    Burgundy grenadine
    Navy twill
    Brown wool
    Olive wool
    Deep red wool
    Brown grenadine
    Blue shantung

Stripe
    Navy ground
    Brown ground
    Burgundy ground
    Green ground

Neat
    Navy
    Olive
    Orange
    Brown
    Burgundy

Patterned
    Navy pindot
    Gray PoW
    Green pindot
    Brown houndstooth

Knit
    Blue
    Green
    Burnt orange
    Light Brown

1 person likes this.
  10. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Nope. Pop Tarts and pizza. :D

11. in stitches

i think i could go for 25 ties and not have a single stripe.

12. Claghorn

Just as I came around to neats, you should come around to stripes ;)

Alright, now I need to check on some lovely wool-cashmere windowpane fabric I dropped off last week. Will eat a sandwich in the cab.

13. in stitches

I like stripes a lot, and I have maybe 6 or 10. I just have a hard time using them. :

Solids and neats make up most of my ties I own.

Happy fabric check up day!

14. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

@Claghorn

Solid
    Navy grenadine
    Black grenadine
    Brown grenadine
    Burgundy grenadine
    Blue shantung

Stripe
    Guards regimental (navy/red same scale) or Blackwatch regimental (burgundy/green/blue)
    Navy ground
    Brown ground
    Green ground
    Grenadine stripe (any color)

Neat
    Navy
    Red
    Burgundy
    Brown
    Green
    Olive
    Grey
    Rust

Patterned
    Navy pindot
    Black pindot
    Green pindot
    Grey wool
    Brown wool
    Blackwatch tartan
    Black Pow or Houndstooth (most formal tie)

Knit
    None, hate knits, a large weave grenadine works better

15. Claghorn

Knits > grenadine for spring/summer fits (linen and light colors) as well as many more casual, unstructured looks. It isn't just about how it looks--it's also about how it moves and how it hangs.

16. conradwu

conradwu Senior member Affiliate Vendor

How can you hate knits?!

1 person likes this.
  17. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Whew. 600+ posts. Noodles, you cray cray.

1 person likes this.
  18. in stitches

i just wish i could find knits that were wider. not a fran of the super skinny knits i generally find.

19. mimo

mimo Senior member

This is one reason I like you so much. SF-orthodoxy is one thing, but it's also important to keep some individuality. I think we all know what classic CBD or muted tweeds and madders look like, and love them both, but sometimes it's nice to be a dick for its own sake, isn't it?

I've no idea what he is either, but glad the repeated Panta-pushes got you some turnover. I love your stuff, and it's great to be able to recommend from experience a product that is born of a small businessman's creativity. Should have sorted out a commission arrangement first. :)

Yes I did. But it was in a dream. There's a strong scriptural precedent for that kind of thing so I think Stitchy should consider it.

Now here's the thing: no. Well, yes, kind of, if that's your thing. But although we all have a lot of similar ties, and plenty of overlap in our "top 25" or whatever recommendations, it's never going to be one perfect list. Firstly, I have to disagree about the whole black knit/black grenadine thing. It's very trendy at the moment, and that jaded picture of Sean Connery in one on every iGent blog in the universe is really getting a bit tired. Not that it's horrible, but it's a fashion of the moment, just like it was back in the sixties. And it would be entirely inappropriate for Noodles' needs, being a casual and absolutely non-classic choice.

I am of the stuffy opinion that black ties are for funerals. Which doesn't really matter, because it's only my choice. What might matter more is that I suspect most non-SF types also associate black ties with funerals and would find it an odd choice for workwear. The knit might be obviously so informal as to be something else, but still. What is more important, I think, is that Noodles is in an environment where by his own insistence, he has very little wiggle room within the CBD milieu. The repps he has are as bold as he'll ever need, the solids are at the dull end we've established, and pin dots just one step up. So the neats are his saviour. Sure, he can probably get away with a shantung or a grenadine and should, but iGent black ties and floppy knits just don't belong in his "top 25".

As for Jungle, though, with his more casual needs...knitted ties and sports jackets are definitely a pretty match, even though knits will eventually drift out of fashion again. I'd say a grenadine is more enduring, style-wise, but those floppy knits are a pleasure for me too, I can't deny.

Anyway, brilliant assessment of why 25 is all most people should ever need. And I suspect even those of us who have more, maybe many more, probably only have about that number that we really want to wear at the moment.

1 person likes this.
  20. Claghorn

"How can you hate knits?!" - CW

This x 2. Expect a PM about some of yours (for some reason, I can't order to Korea through your website).

I agree with ya Stitch. 3 inches is pushing it. 3.5 would probably be a bit much. I have two at 3.25 which are perfect, but most are 3 from Yount. I have a 2.75 from Wang which I'll wear. And a 1.5 from Rag n Bone which I won't.

Mimo, the 25 could ensure there is plenty for anybody for a long time. Of course everyone's 25 is different, but trying to create a general 25 is a fun exercise. Rudals could move into academia, start wearing linen suits, and be fine with most of those.

I agree on the black, but as you said, it's good for funerals. And those happen. However, I'm replacing it with a midnight blue grenadine as it can fulfill the same function with some added versatility.