Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Indeed, can't stress this enough.

Awesome! Post every week how much you've lost, and what you did well that week and what you can improve next week. Don't expect to see immediate results, slow and steady is the way to go!

2. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

My local Parlour is making Nutella Sundaes. ZoemyGOdRtheyGOOD! :slayer: My wife gets the blueberry cheescake one and we share. It's super cute.

That's great news! I had a pair hung up in customs for three weeks. Its torture!

3. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

I'm starting to sweat just by reading thru all this...

4. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

5. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Rudals - there are two ways to approach changing your body and you're doing neither.

Option 1 requires intense and consistent dedication to following a particular routine in order to alter one's physique into a desired endpoint. Monkeyface has outlined how to do this: you have a clear end-point in mind and are prepared to put in consistent, gradual effort over years in order to achieve it. This works. It's also damn difficult and once you get to your end-point still requires ongoing effort to maintain it. As Monkeyface correctly says, weight loss is very easy, muscle building and maintaining is hard.

Option 2 is much easier: define a healthy weight for yourself, and accept whatever build naturally comes with that (this is dependent on your genetics & lifestyle). You might not look "perfect", but you will find it much easier to maintain that weight & appearance (especially as you get older) and the beauty of tailored clothing is that it gives you definition even if you lack it yourself. Lose weight until you reach your target through a straightforward moderate calorie restriction within a balanced diet, combined with whatever modest level of exericise you know that you can consistently & indefinitely maintain without feeling like it's a chore. This is the lazy route, but also works.

Both approaches require consistency.

Also, without being too intrusive, you really need to talk to your wife and explain what you're doing, why, and how you're going to achieve it. The two of you are operating at cross-purposes at the moment, at least with respect to your diet, probably because since you're only just married and you're both probably still being too nice to be truly helpful to each other. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014

6. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

my wife's name? nope... (j/k)

7. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

LOL this thread moves pretty fast. Not quoting is dangerous. :p

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014

8. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

Rudals, you cannot weigh yourself at any given point in the day/week an determine you are up pounds so must skip a meal. Weight fluctuates during the day, some people up to five pounds. Pick one specific day each week (call it Saturday) that you weigh yourself, and I suggest it be immediately after waking because this your body's "true" weight.

This method provides a psychological relief because you are not hopping on scale every day. Some people do not lost weight for a few days and then 2-3 disappear overnight. Weight is a finicky creature that you cannot rely just on a scale. The "mirror" test is what many like to use. Or if you want to be so meticulous, measure your body parts (biceps, chest, waist, thighs) every 2-3 weeks. That is definite proof if you are gaining/losing in respective areas.

9. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

Or get Dr. Evil, or one of his smaller brethren. Seriously. Full body workout in 15-20 mins with a mix of grinds and ballistics and genuine functional strength to boot.

10. kulata

kulata Senior member

All these talk about weight loss to a newly married man is making me lol. Just wait till she gets pregnant and you gain sympathy weight. Eat and make merry....

P90X is an awesome fitness program BTW

11. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

If that were true, I'd be very sad.
    Luckily, we are both very truthful and blunt people. Doesn't mean we are mean to each other but we are able to communicate what is on our minds very nicely without hurting the other person's feelings. I've told her I hate this gut. She tells me she will respect it and will and did change what she cooks. (I don't know why pasta is on the menu today though). I told her this one particular pair of jeans made her butt look ugly so we went out and found a pair of jeans that made her butt look spectacular. In another instance, she said that my pants looked sloppy, so I had them altered and now it looks great. It's funny but we're very comfortable with each other and we say what we want...while respecting the other person's feelings.

12. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

OK cool, glad to hear it!

13. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I weigh myself every morning after I take a shower. (Yes, I do take a shower everyday).
    So I think there's the consistency.

I think you touched upon something in your second paragraph. When I was just looking at the scale, it really wasn't helping. It was only when I starting looking at my fat midsection and focusing on changing it, that's when changes started happening.

14. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    She is only 24 and says she wants to have one year to ourselves.

I've heard many good things about P90X from many people.

15. AJL

AJL Senior member

Getting back to proper fit in the chest, I just bought a new blazer and may have gone a little small here. Shit. I tried one size up and thought the shoulders were a little bigger than I wanted, so sized down. I like the fit in the shoulders and I thought the chest was ok, but now this "bowed lapel" thing. Faack... What about the curved inner lapel line, as indicated here: http://parisiangentleman.co.uk/2013...vasses-chest-pieces-and-other-suit-mysteries/.

How does one determine whether the lapel line is curved vs straight & bowed? It seems like it might have an intentional curve but not sure how to determine. I should post up a fit pick (later). It would depress me to know I just dropped a decent chunk of change for something that's less than an ideal fit (already altered, so no return).

Isn't it possible some of Noodles recent store fit picks also had a curved inner lapel? I realize some obviously looked to be a bit small.