Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

Edit: Forgot also trying to do a lot of core with variations on crunches pretty much

2. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

This is you then: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Boy

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6a/Little_boy.jpg[img]

This is you now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_Man

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c2/Fat_man.jpg

3. luv2breformed

I'm staying far away from squats. I squatted a ton in high school and attribute some of my large thigh area problem to them. I was squatting nearly 2.5x my body weight. I thought I was the bomb for crushing all the linemen that were double my size. Now my knees are paying (and I'm young) and I've got a very disproportionate body shape in the wrong direction for a male. Perhaps there are ways of weight training in the legs that do not increase mass but I don't know of them and don't want to chance it.

4. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I'm by no means an expert, but you can't lose fat in a specific area by exercising that area. Your body 'decides' where it deposits and removes fat. You can do leg exercises all day long, but your body might use up your belly fat, and vice versa. The only way to make sure you lose it is to eat less than your body uses, and you'll eventually see the fat disappear.

Calories in < Calories out=fat loss
    Calories in > Calories out=muscle or fat gain

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  5. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

True that Monkeyface.
    I biggest beef with losing weight is I lose weight in my face first so I turn into a freaking grandpa with wrinklie face. What the heck?!
    Then my legs and the belly is the last to go.

6. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

7. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

For those with little time (perhaps because of little children), get yourself the smallest effective gym, and most effective short workout I've ever known. I present, Dr. Evil.
    [​IMG]

8. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

So you have 2 goals:
    1) lose 10lbs of fat
    2) gain muscle in upper body (chest/back/shoulders?)

Gaining muscle while losing fat at the same time is nearly impossible. I'd focus on losing fat first and then start working on gaining muscle. This doesn't mean you should stop lifting weights, but it's not your priority at the moment.

Calculate how many calories you need on an average day to maintain status quo. I'm assuming this would be between 2500-3000kcal, but it depends on your lifestyle, current fat percentage, muscle mass etc.

Once you know this number, subtract about 1000kcal, an that's how much you should eat a day. If I remember correctly, a 3500kcal deficit equals burning about 1lbs of fat, but you can google that.

When it comes to diet, high protein, low carb and medium-high fat. So lots of lean meats and veggies. No sugars, rice, potatoes, ice cream, etc!! Stay away from them! Don't drink any soda, and maybe alcohol once or twice a week, but stay away from beer.

When it comes to exercise, you should aim to lift weights 3 times a week, and do cardio 2-3 times a week as well. The more calories you burn with lifting weights/cardio, the higher your deficit and the faster you'll lose fat. What you do for cardio doesn't really matter, running, cycling, whatever floats your boat. Aim to burn at least 500kcal with cardio on exercise days.

You could lose those 10lbs in about 5-10 weeks, depending on how dedicated you are.

When it comes to a weight lifting routine, everyone has their own preferences, and a lot of the routines are equally good for more advanced people. Push/pull split, body part split, etc. I'd avoid most isolation exercises such a curls. Do exercises that will exercise a larger part of your body. Bench press, dead lifts, pull ups, chin ups and even squats. Squats are probably the best ab exercise, together with dead lifts. But don't forget, abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym! You'll be eating at a deficit, so don't worry about gaining muscle in your legs, it won't happen.

Do 3 sets for 8-15 reps per exercise, and make sure you can just make the last rep, but only just! Focus on good form, even if that means you'll have to lower your weights. Watch YouTube videos of good form and Ty to mimic that. It'll be the difference between snapping a muscle/blowing your knees and being a healthy and strong individual.

Once you've lost the 10lbs of fat, up your calorie intake to at least 3500-4000kcal a day, and you'll start gaining muscle with little fat. How many calories you need depends again on many different factors. Eating 3500 a day and don't see any difference in a month? Up it to 4000 and see what happens. Don't start eating ice cream, keep eating healthy food! Success really depends on finding what's right for you, and sticking to it!

This might sound tedious, but it's a lot of fun to see yourself getting healthier. Good luck!

9. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

If you need videos on form and movement execution head over to www.elitefts.net and check out their "So You Think You Can Squat/Bench/Deadlift" series

10. luv2breformed

11. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Post a weight loss update in this thread every week. Accountability is a good motivator, so let's see how fast you can lose those 10lbs! Might be a good idea for you as well noodles!

12. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Noodles and Luv: make sure any lifting you do is whole body. One reason is to avoid muscle imbalances and injuries resulting from the same. Another reason is that it will greatly improve your weight loss. You will be surprised how much weight you will lose simply from lifting as your body will continue to burn calories while you are at rest on your off days as it repairs the damaged muscles. I've got a 42 year old's metabolism and I can keep lean if I simply lift a few times a week and avoid sweets and carbs. As MF said, the basics are: squats, dead lift, lunges, bench press, incline press, military press, lat pulldowns, seated or bent rows, dips, planks and crunches.

13. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I will join in on this!

14. luv2breformed

I'll be happy to keep a log of what I do and post in here. I know that isn't the point of the thread, but I think it would be fun. Would a weekly post be fine for everyone, too much? I could mention what lifts I did and how long it took me etc.

15. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

This thread is as open as a 7-11.