Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. TM79

TM79 Senior member

I doubt I care what people on the Boston subway think of me wearing sneakers to walk home.

What is some girl gonna walk up to me and be like, "That outfit is a real panty dropper but the sneakers are a dealbreaker."

Until that happens... sneakers.

2. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I used to wear sneakers but now I wear beater these.
    [​IMG]

3. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

http://www.styleforum.net/t/72565/rock-your-socks-show-your-sock-shoe-pant-combos/18720#post_7056165

It can happen :D thats how the conversation starts anyway. If you're wearing your gym shoes they're probably just laughing inside. I used to get a kick out of everyone who would come off the train in the morning at the LaSalle St. Station in Chicago wearing Gym Shoes with their dress wear. It was mostly women though. I can't speak personally to your problem though as I don't have a long walk in my commute.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014

4. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Yeah, it could happen. I've also been with the same girl for 5 years and am usually listening to music on my commute home and not even paying attention to anyone. If I was single it might be a different story.

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

epic win if it was all prada.

oh, so thats where you picked that up. ;)

6. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

I suppose I dress up for very different reasons than some of you guys. I don't NEED to dress up for just about anything in my life. I want to dress up. I love those old photos of men and women at baseball games and everyone is wearing a suit. I don't know why, but I really like dressing like it is 1920 or whatever. I sort of always dress up and pretend that everyone else is too and whatever, it's no big thing. I guess I just thought a lot of SF was similar to me. That said, people call me out on how I dress all the time and I am never sure how to respond.

I adhere to some of what I deem older "rules" just because I like the history of it all. I try to always be wearing a jacket whenever I leave the house. Going to the grocery store/library/mall? I need a jacket and usually a tie. If I'm feeling really casual, I'll ditch the tie. Why? Because men wear jackets when they are seen in public, period. I'm overstating my case purposefully, but you get the point. Similar for my stance on shoes.

I will say that this is completely isolated from my work life. At work, I never wear a jacket because it would stand out in a bad way, much less a tie. Perhaps I like dressing up in my "free" time because I never get a chance to any other time.

7. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

nm

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014

8. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I'm married with 3 kids and dressing for myself, so I tend to not care too much what others on the train might think. I think most realize I'm not wearing running shoes for the work day based on: (i) how well put together everything else is; and (ii) the fact many others on Metra are also wearing tennis shoes due to the hike to and from the train station. I tend to whip out the laptop as soon as I sit down and get some work done, so I probably don't notice the snickers directed my way.

I have to admit, though, that I used to wear my nice shoes when I lived in the city and had less walking in my commute. Something about the move to the burbs changed it all and started my evolution to Soccer Dad status. I'll know I've gone too far when I start changing into sweat pants for the commute to avoid salt getting kicked up on my dress pants in the Winter.

9. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

For whatever reason, I've never had any issue walking in dress shoes, even if it is for a couple of miles. Uncomfortable if I have to break into a sprint, sure, but otherwise no. I will wear beater shoes and/or overshoes in crappy weather, but otherwise will be in dress shoes of some sort. I don't think I'll ever do the commuting in sneakers thing. IMO nice shoes are meant to be worn and seen.

10. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I suppose you could get a pair of loafers instead of sneakers for the commute. They're more in the CM spectrum and just as comfortable.

11. in stitches

now i just really want to post up in a suit and running shoes.

12. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Might work well with the ninja jumping off the porch pose.

13. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Ideally, your shoes should be comfortable enough to walk in. I thought this was the baseline of choosing a shoe. Maybe it's just me... I don't live somewhere with salted sidewalks and roads, but I would think you'd wear boots for such occasions, no? That's what I did when I was in NY state in January. I don't get fear of cracks/uneven surfaces. The shoes are there to protect your feet in such circumstances. If the sidewalk condition is so dire, the solution is to watch where you're walking, not to wear sneakers. Also, they're just clothes.

BUT. The notion that you wouldn't wear sneakers with your suit because of what the other people on the train might think? Please. Or that you might cockblock yourself? C'mon, man. That's some serious edge-case thinking. Also, would you turn away a woman who was otherwise well put together because she wore sneakers for the commute?

14. in stitches

yes!

15. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

You should visit Buenos Aires on your next vacation. Good old-school rule-following regarding jackets on outside the house followed there.